Women Lifting.

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How in the sam hell do you guys squat so much? *LOL*

don't answer that...

Squats have been a pretty slow progression for me. It's sad.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Won't you get buff and strong?
    I didn't know girls lifted anything.
    Well except laundry basket, vacuum, etc.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I lifted ten years ago, so these are my fresh starts (I hadn't lifted in many years, but it wasn't exactly starting from zero)

Squat: two 15# dumbells
    Deadlift: two 15# dumbells (but that incrased very quickly as i got the hang of it)
    Shoulder press two 15#
    Lunges: bodyweight
    Barbell rows: 45#
    Incline bench: 55#

Current
    Squat: two 30# dumbells
    Deadlift: 110
    Shoulder press: 40 (front squat push press)
    Lunges: two 20#, increasing to 30s tonight actually
    Dumbell rows: two 30#
    Incline bench: 60#

After I finish New Rules of Lifting, I want to focus on the main lifts: deadlift, bench, barbell squat, shoulder press. Cuz this stuff is fun but I am starting to feel like I'm wasting my time a little...
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I started with the bar about a year ago lol

Now,
    Bench - 95
    DL- 185
    Squat - 135

Haven't really tried to find my 1RM on anything yet because I workout alone and have no spotter

Rock on! And please don't find out your 1RM :)

Power racks are your friend. You can safely do all of these without a spotter in a power rack that is properly set up to your height. And of course...deadlifts need no spotter...that would be...weird. lol
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    How in the sam hell do you guys squat so much? *LOL*

don't answer that...

Squats have been a pretty slow progression for me. It's sad.

I feel that way too.

After 1 year of bootcamp 3x per week, I switched to lifting at home in January.

squat-
    January 65lb
    August 135lb

deadlift-
    January 65lb
    August 160lb

bench-
    January 50lb
    August 100lb
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    I was really weak! haha. This was Last September
    Bench- 20 (currently 65)
    DL- 35 (currently 100)
    Squat 25 (currently... Hmm last time I did it I believe it was 80
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I used to lift years ago but did not do most of these when I did. I started lifting again in March and started really light (bar only in most cases) as I had not done most before and wanted to make sure my form was good. On my working sets I am now up to:

Deadlift: 200lb
    Bench: 100lb
    Squat: 145lb
    Press: 75lb
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Started NROL4W one month ago, lifting for 9 months straight before that:

Squats: 45lb (2 sets of 15)
    > 105lb (3 sets of 10)
    Deadlift: 85lb (2 sets of 15)
    > 110lb (3 sets of 10)
    Shoulder Press: 12.5lb (2 sets of 15)
    > 20lb/22.5lb (3 sets of 10) (about to increase to 25lbs)
    Lat Pull: 70lb (2 sets of 15)
    > 100lb (3 sets of 10)
    Seated Row: 45lb (2 sets of 15)
    > 70lb (3 sets of 10)

I don't do bench press right now, so I'm not sure, but I was doing 40lbs for 3 sets of 30 before...

These are the changes over one month. :smile:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bench 30lbs (the bar), now 40 or 50 depending on reps
    Squat 45lbs (the bar), now 65 but probably more because I can leg press 208
    Dealift 40lbs, now 65.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I used to lift years ago but did not do most of these when I did. I started lifting again in March and started really light (bar only in most cases) as I had not done most before and wanted to make sure my form was good. On my working sets I am now up to:

Deadlift: 200lb
    Bench: 100lb
    Squat: 145lb
    Press: 75lb

Fantastic figures Sara!
  • porffor
    Options
    I've been doing strength training for about a year, and ride regularly for the last 8 years with the exception of pregnancy. I returned to lifting around 2 months ago.

Currently:

132lb squat

110 Deadlift but doing a deadlift session for real tomorrow so should hit a PB on that.

55lb Bench press but again hoping to improve this very soon

My proudest achievement to date is my leg press at 242lbs - for 3x5 .. yes I had DOMS for 3 days but it was sooo worth it!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    At one point, I did 500 lbs on a leg press. It was a pain to put on all those 45 lb plates though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've been doing strength training for about a year, and ride regularly for the last 8 years with the exception of pregnancy. I returned to lifting around 2 months ago.

Currently:

132lb squat

110 Deadlift but doing a deadlift session for real tomorrow so should hit a PB on that.

55lb Bench press but again hoping to improve this very soon

My proudest achievement to date is my leg press at 242lbs - for 3x5 .. yes I had DOMS for 3 days but it was sooo worth it!

Yay you!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    At one point, I did 500 lbs on a leg press. It was a pain to put on all those 45 lb plates though.

Impressive.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Started April 26, first time I ever touched a barbell, so in 4 months I have gone from:

squats - 40 lbs to 120 lbs
    bench - 30 lbs to 80 lbs
    deadlift - 60 lbs to 135 lbs
    overhead press - 30 lbs to 50 lbs
    pendlay row - 30 lbs to 75 lbs
    cleans - 30 lbs to 55 lbs
    I have also managed to do my first real pullup :happy:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I can answer for my old lady

Squat 75
    Bench 65
    Deadlift 115
    OHP 55
    Bent Rows 65
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Impressive.

To be fair, I weighed over 300 lbs at the time and honestly doing the laying on your back leg press with 500 lbs isn't that much of a challenge when you are hefting around 300 lbs on a regular basis.

I'm not really a fan of leg presses but it was fun while I was recovering from a knee injury.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 33 years ago, so I honestly don't remember what weights I started out with. Probably just the Oly bar (45 pounds) until I learned proper form. I haven't done much 1RM work lately, but I've been working with this the last few months:

Squat: 135 x 3-6 reps
    Bench: 95 x 3 (PR is 120 for one very ugly rep)
    Deadlift: 225 x 3 (PR is 275 in April)

To be honest, I used to compete in powerlifting in college (30 years ago) when I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now. So I used to lift a lot more back in those days. I think I used to squat around 225, and my PR DL is 363. I doubt I'll ever see that weight again! But I'm within 100 pounds, so there's always hope!

Ladies (and gents, too), keep hitting the iron as heavy as you can safely handle. When you're my age, you'll be glad you did!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I started lifting 33 years ago, so I honestly don't remember what weights I started out with. Probably just the Oly bar (45 pounds) until I learned proper form. I haven't done much 1RM work lately, but I've been working with this the last few months:

Squat: 135 x 3-6 reps
    Bench: 95 x 3 (PR is 120 for one very ugly rep)
    Deadlift: 225 x 3 (PR is 275 in April)

To be honest, I used to compete in powerlifting in college (30 years ago) when I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now. So I used to lift a lot more back in those days. I think I used to squat around 225, and my PR DL is 363. I doubt I'll ever see that weight again! But I'm within 100 pounds, so there's always hope!

Ladies (and gents, too), keep hitting the iron as heavy as you can safely handle. When you're my age, you'll be glad you did!

That is fantastic - and from your ticker you are really light also.
  • porffor
    Options

lol that is great!! well done.. can imagine the 'nuisance' factor though eh! lol