Is it true that you shouldnt eat after 6pm?

Is it true that you shouldnt eat within a couple hours of bedtime?

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    no.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I have heard 7pm, I have heard 8 pm.
    Its all opinions.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    I just wondered if its better because of digestion and everything to eat so many hours before bedtime..
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Nope, I often eat after 6pm, 7pm, 8pm.

It is all calculated into my calories.

There are certain people that are evening snackers but I'm not. I just tend to eat dinner late.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    I would think no as technically food is food and a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat. However, many people do swear by not eating after a certain time. I imagine that it is just a logical thought process as presumably one's activity levels gradually drop throughout an evening and so you maybe don't have so much time to try and burn some of it off if you're just going to veg out on the sofa in front of the TV for several hours. Now if you go out dancing all night then I would imagine that it wouldn't matter at all when you ate!
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    If you have reflux problems you may not want to eat before you go to bed because lying down makes that worse but if you are asking because of calorie count then it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I personally don't feel good if I eat after 6pm but I do it on occasion because of scheduling but it doesn't keep me from losing weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

That can't be true. What about people on the east coast? What about people that work evenings, or the people who work nights and wake up at 6pm?!?
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    eat till whenever u want but just stay within ur calories
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If you have reflux problems you may not want to eat before you go to bed because lying down makes that worse but if you are asking because of calorie count then it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I personally don't feel good if I eat after 6pm but I do it on occasion because of scheduling but it doesn't keep me from losing weight.

Ok, now this makes sense. I can see that with an acid reflux issue, or some other medical problem.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    the only thing I can think of is that food digests more slowly when your body is asleep so idk maybe thats why they say it. I could care less though if it fits in my day Ill eat it at 10 pm. whatever.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    If you have reflux problems you may not want to eat before you go to bed because lying down makes that worse but if you are asking because of calorie count then it doesn't matter when you eat your calories.

^^ True story!

Snack in bed if you want. The only thing that matters is your daily calorie goal. Yes you have permission to eat chocolate ice cream in bed watching movies on Lifetime. Of course that's not the best thing for you so maybe you should mostly eat low-fat popcorn but the occasional ice cream won't hurt anything.

"Confucius say - he who eat cracker in bed wake up feeling crummy."
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    This question was on Dr Oz...apparently not..he said it's a myth...
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Snack in bed if you want. The only thing that matters is your daily calorie goal.

I wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking about George Costanza and his pastrami sandwich.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    I like to stop eating around 7, but that's only because I want the scale to be lower in the morning. (; As far as weight loss, no, it doesn't matter as long as you stick to your limit.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    all good responses thank you. Yeah Im asking not so much for calorie reasons as for digestion reasons.Ive noticed it seems alot of people on here have constipation issues, thought maybe that could be why. But also yes I wanted to know if we accurately burn those calories while asleep..I guess it doesnt matter for me because I dont have the reflux problems.Thanks , I'll keep eating my dinner whenever I have time, even if its right before bed ;o)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

It depends on how many calories you've eaten by then.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    No.

Meal and nutrient timing is for the most part irrelevant and a matter of personal preference.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    The only reason (aside from preventing heartburn) is that setting an arbitrary cutoff to stop eating means that much less time stuffing your face. If you are tracking though, you don't need those tricks and you can happily eat whenever you want. as long as you stay under goal.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    The only thing I try to do is eat my last meal about 2 or 3 hours before bedtime. Not because of any rule, but just because that's what I prefer. I usually try to keep about a 12-hour gap between dinner and breakfast.
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    At least for what I know is better to have at least 2-3 hours before bed time. And I believe is related to the glicemic curve that settles down after 2 hours. Or at least should be.