Considering other means....

Options
I have lost my motivation and I am considering weightloss surgery. I have gotten to the point where I am depressed and just have little to no willpower anymore to continue this. I really do not have the support at home, so any support or advice would be soooo appreciated.

Replies

• piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Like, how much weight do you still want to lose?
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    She wants to lose another 19 as per her ticker.

OP - Stick it out! You are so close! Maybe a new workout routine will help?
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Is it a specific spot, like just your stomach? I'm considering smartlipo because the fat won't move from there, but if it's more than one spot you probably want to stick it out awhile longer. /Shrugs. Surgery is expensive, time consuming, and kind of dangerous.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I actually still have quite a bit to lose. I set my ticker at small goals, so that they seem more attainable. I am currently at 284lbs. just hoping that I have the willpower to keep going to make it to 180lbs. Then, I will re-evaluate.
    I carry a large majority of my weight in my lower half. I have a pretty small waist, with not much of a stomach.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started at 238 and it's definitely hardwork but I feel like changing to a Paleo lifestyle has really really helped me! It's the only diet where I don't feel like I'm losing anything or making huge sacrifices. And the food is so dang good!

I've only lost 4 pounds in my first two weeks but I'd LOVE to support you and help you in anyway possible!

Maybe we could keep each other going and stay accountable :]

Feel free to add me and I'll do anything I can to help you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think what you need is a mindset change. Are you planning to reach your goal and then suddenly go back to the way you were living before you decided to lose weight? If you did that, you'd just gain all the weight back and if you think you're depressed now.....

Instead, start living the way you plan to live when you're "done" and that will support your weight loss goals. In other words, eat and work out the way you'll need to do to support your goal weight. Yes, you won't lose the weight so quickly, but this isn't a race and there isn't a finish line. You'll eventually get where you want to be or, at the very least, you'll eventually rediscover your motivation and you still be better off than you are now and definitely better off than you were originally.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    All surgeries have their own issues. I don;t believe in that sort of thing. You were given what you have for a reason and to change it because of what you think you see is wrong in my opinion.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the link again, but I came across a website filled with posts from people who went through weightloss surgery and have gained it all back. They never learned to lose the right way, they didn't have to work hard to get it off and they were unable to keep it off. Each of them talked about how much money they wasted on it just to end up having to learn to lose the right way. I started at 217 and it's taken me a while to get to this point. I've quit and been frustrated more times than I care to count. Just keep trying.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Read your ticker! Don't look for a simple solution when it really requires work.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat at least half your exercise calories back. Try that and see if you have some success because your body needs fuel and if your aren't giving it enough it will hold on to what's there. So give it a try
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Also I saw one of your goals is to lose weight to have a baby (also one of my goals) and some weight loss surgeries can effect fertility!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    It is doable to lose that much weight on your own. I know of peeps that have had the surgery with success. I also know of peeps that have had without success and some have had it two or three times.

Please know that you still have to change your eating habits. Surgery is not the end all be all and your life will not be magically wonderful once you lose the weight no matter what you do.

Educate yourself about nutrition and health no matter what you decide.

I would also recommend counseling, sounds like you may need someone to talk to as well. The stuff inside our heads also has a lot to do with our success with weight loss as well. It's not just the family and outside peeps that hinder our progress.

It all begins with you, become the change that you would like to see.

Be kind to yourself along the way.

(((hugs)))
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to sugarcoat it, losing 100lbs is HARD.

But think of all the things it will teach you; how to eat in a sustainable manner and healthily for the rest of your life, how to push far beyond what you thought your upper limits were, how to exercise in a fun way... not just for you, but for your children... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture I'm trying to paint.

You are far stronger than you believe yourself to be. One day of good behaviour at a time will turn into weeks of healthy choices, and eventually a habit and routine that will stand the test of time.

You'll have your highs and lows, no doubt about it, and the highs will be astronomical and the lows will be depressing and enraging... but just remember that the journey you're undertaking is a finite period of time. You WILL attain your goal. And you'll have done it by yourself, gaining physical and mental strength in the process.

Who ever got all of that with a fat-vacuum? :P
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, that's what MFP is here to help. Don't look at how far you have to go but how far you've come. You can add me for support if you like.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    these people are giving alot of great advice, and Im just starting so I cant speak about endurance and everything yet, Just wanted to give you a virtual ***HUG*** cause we all need one sometimes. And it can be so hard when people at home arent trying with you, I know that part first hand.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think what you need is a mindset change. Are you planning to reach your goal and then suddenly go back to the way you were living before you decided to lose weight? If you did that, you'd just gain all the weight back and if you think you're depressed now.....

Instead, start living the way you plan to live when you're "done" and that will support your weight loss goals. In other words, eat and work out the way you'll need to do to support your goal weight. Yes, you won't lose the weight so quickly, but this isn't a race and there isn't a finish line. You'll eventually get where you want to be or, at the very least, you'll eventually rediscover your motivation and you still be better off than you are now and definitely better off than you were originally.

^^^Good Advice!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun

It is a really big step to take, you have to think about the costs, the complications, time off work etc as well as having to live that way for the rest of ur life.

You just need to take small goals at a time and eventually you will get there, don't give up on this xxx
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, WLS isn't the end all and be all. You have about a year- 18 months where the going is good, then you have to diet and exercise as you will feel hungry again and if you fall into old patterns, they weight will come back. Good luck with whatever path you chose!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I read this somewhere... and I found it very motivational:

"I am at the point now that there is no looking back. I am a very healthy woman who comes from a long line of family members who died way too young. I refuse to allow my son to feel the pain that I feel each and every day after losing my mother. I will live to see him grow, and his children grow. As much as it hurts to admit it, children today are cruel. I do not want to subject my son to the ridicule of others. He will never have to come to the defense of his mother if others were to put her down for her physical appearance. I wanna be one of those mom's who is out there running along side of him on the whichever sports field he decides to play on. I will make him proud!!! I have lost weight for vanity too many times in the past. Now I am doing it to live."

THIS woman sounds motivated! Give yourself a break, feel blue and frustrated - and then take a minute to read your own profile.

You are worth the fight!!! :heart:
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ((Hugs)) It's not easy and I understand about getting down about weight. May I suggest on focusing on what you have lost so far and not on what you still need to lose? Be encouraged on how far you've gotten because on your ticker you're showing a good loss and that is marvellous.