How accurate is IPOD Run?

Options
I used my Ipod touch to calculate how fast I was jogging, distance and time. Both the speed and the distance I think may be off, the time was ok. Ipod said that I was averaging 8.5 minutes per mile, 7 mph. I was going at a leisurely pace, 7 mph sounds like I'd be running, not jogging. I typically do 5 mph on the treadmill, so does 7 mph sound completely unrealistic?

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    where do you keep your ipod? I had mine in my yoga pant pocket and the up and down of my feet hitting the pavement made it move so much it recorded more steps than I actually did...

when I had it in an armband around my upper shoulder it was better, but still seemed off...

you have to be careful of the motion sensor in the ipod sometimes it calibrates a step when one hasn't been taken...so you are much better off using something that asks you to calculate stride and input those details before you use them.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, you can download the free app for Nike+ it uses GPS to calculate your actual distance ran and the time you ran it in; very accurate. When I run on a marked trail, it is spot on.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    7mph is a pretty fast run. I wouldn't likely confuse it with a 5mph pace.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, you can download the free app for Nike+ it uses GPS to calculate your actual distance ran and the time you ran it in; very accurate. When I run on a marked trail, it is spot on.
    Do ipods have GPS now, ie, when not on WIFI? Iphones yes, do ipods? (I've lost track).
    I use Nike+ as well, and find it pretty accurate.
    For the treadmill I use the nike+ipod app and a shoe sensor. I tried it without, but found it NOT very accurate (either app on the treadmill, actually).