Wrist pain and push ups!

Hey guys! So, the deal is I have chronic fatigue syndrome which can cause a condition similar to arthritis (that I never remember the name of) that causes pain and inflammation in the joints. Part of my workout is knee push ups, planks, side planks etc but I'm having a massive problem with my wrists. I do anyway if I'm writing for a long time but this is getting so bad I can't actually do the exercises anymore. Does anyone know of any way that I could modify it so that there isn't as much pressure on the wrists and/or heel of the hands? Or alternatively, really good wrist supports? It's killing me that it's not my core or my arms stopping me from doing my best, it's my wrists. I actually enjoy planks because I can feel it working in my core and I want to be able to do it better. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    stay on forearms for planks? may just have to stay there longer if thats too easy. Not sure about push ups.
    I feel ya, my wrists were killing me the other day especially if the pushup requires you to keep your weights in your hand.
  • I'd suggest hand wraps or taping your wrists and hands like Boxers/MMA Fighters do. It'll provide support and compression which should help keep the inflamation down. But that's just my .02
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Grab some dumbbells, put them on the ground, and then hold onto them so that your wrists are straight as you're doing push-ups/planks.

They also make specific devices for this functionality too if you don't have any dumbbells. Like so:

http://www.amazon.com/Definity-HHP-001-Pair-Push-Bars/dp/B002OEQ50Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346279698&sr=8-1&keywords=push-up
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Awesome, thanks guys. I do have dumbells so I'll try that and I'll look into the hand wraps. I have been doing some planks on my forearms but yeah, I just don't feel like it's hard enough. I'll try all suggestions. You're all awesome!