how long till you stop gaining muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    who cant hear? IM asking what others experience was....cant seem to get that answer.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're not going to get much from others experiences being that you're working out more than anyone should. 3 hours is not sustainable for MOST people and it's not conducive to the optimal hormonal balance for weight loss. you're not going about this healthily.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I looked at the last week in your food diary, and I don't think you are gaining muscle. You aren't eating enough, and your protein consumption is too low to realize muscle gains. It is freaking hard to put on muscle, and you have to eat a lot of protein and extra calories to get there.

What you are probably doing is some re-composition. This is good, but you really need to try to take more rest days, and eat back more of your exercise calories to see a difference on the scale.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    who cant hear? IM asking what others experience was....cant seem to get that answer.

My experience with working out (2 hrs/3 days a week of cardio and body sculpting) is that my weight is dropping very slowly. I'm down about 30 lbs from where I was a year ago. However- I have gone down 2 dress sizes. The last time I was at this weight, i wore a bigger size. Slowly but surely, I am getting where i need to be. Are you working out 7 days a week? Try a rest day at least once a week. Your body gets stronger and heals so you can have better results.
    Options
    I looked at the last week in your food diary, and I don't think you are gaining muscle. You aren't eating enough, and your protein consumption is too low to realize muscle gains. It is freaking hard to put on muscle, and you have to eat a lot of protein and extra calories to get there.

What you are probably doing is some re-composition. This is good, but you really need to try to take more rest days, and eat back more of your exercise calories to see a difference on the scale.

Sorry but "re-composition" by definition is losing fat and gaining lean body mass. So this isn't a case of recomp--it might be weight/fat loss masked by water weight due to inflammation.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Probably because your asking a question that cant be answered. No one is gaining muscle eating and working out like you are so they can't tell you when those gains will stop. No one has that experience and if they say the did they are lying.
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question...

I usually do 30 day shred (about 230 calories) and then eliptical for a half hour or hour a day and then some machines...

MFP has me set for 1240 calories... (I'm F 141 5"5). I usually eat back my calories... do u think i'm eating enough?
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're weighing yourself in a consistent manner. First thing when you roll out of bed and pee, don't eat or drink anything until you get your weight. And only do it once a week, or you'll drive yourself crazy. That'll give you enough time to notice a difference in the scale. You shouldn't be losing any more than 2 pounds a week unless you're at an obese level.

And if you're just getting into a consistent exercise program, and in a calorie deficit, you will bounce up and down for the first month usually. Month 2 you will see a steadier decline, and if you're still doing it right in month 3, you'll see the appropriate decline in weight. The weight loss amount will decrease as your get into a healthy weight range.

Confucius say, a watched pot does not boil.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Options

I usually do 30 day shred (about 230 calories) and then eliptical for a half hour or hour a day and then some machines...

MFP has me set for 1240 calories... (I'm F 141 5"5). I usually eat back my calories... do u think i'm eating enough?

What's your goal?
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Listen to them when they say you retain water when you work out that hard. I know I do.

I know you like the 3 hours a say but try to take it easy a couple days a week maybe just do the yoga and lots of stretching one oor two days if you can.

Also one of my favorite things on a non-workout day.... a nice long Epsom salt soak (maybe 1 cup in a full bath) helps when I'm retaining water and relaxes the muscles. I soak for at least 20 minutes then wrap up in a warm fuzzy robe and sweat it out for another 20-30 it's a good sweat but my muscles are relaxing not working...I think it's just a mental trick but it works for me.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options

Probably because your asking a question that cant be answered. No one is gaining muscle eating and working out like you are so they can't tell you when those gains will stop. No one has that experience and if they say the did they are lying.

Random, but is that you in your ticker Kiachu??
  • shosh413
    Options
    125!
  • shosh413
    Options

What's your goal?
    [/quote

125!
  • Montemuscle1970
    Options
    125!

hehe sorry, I meant goal like lose fat or build muscle? I take it just lose some weight then?
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Random, but is that you in your ticker Kiachu??

Yes.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread i am now questioning whether inflammation/water retention is what i am experiencing? I was THINKING that with NOT KNOWING what i want weight to be ... Only that i want increase in lean mass and lose couple inches from waist ... That my intense workouts would result in "recomposition" from fat to muscle. I STRUGGLE to eat the volume of calories MFP has suggested (i chose gain 1 lb/week but not sure if i should have). My weight "bounces" from 191 to almost 200 lbs. I can skip dinner after playing 3 hrs vball (1400+ cals ... With weights in morning total 2200+ burned) and Know in the morning the Scale will say I've dropped couple pounds. My strength is great, better then college years. I have good energy. My Joints Hurt some (knees/ankles). Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY Appreciated!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread i am now questioning whether inflammation/water retention is what i am experiencing? I was THINKING that with NOT KNOWING what i want weight to be ... Only that i want increase in lean mass and lose couple inches from waist ... That my intense workouts would result in "recomposition" from fat to muscle. I STRUGGLE to eat the volume of calories MFP has suggested (i chose gain 1 lb/week but not sure if i should have). My weight "bounces" from 191 to almost 200 lbs. I can skip dinner after playing 3 hrs vball (1400+ cals ... With weights in morning total 2200+ burned) and Know in the morning the Scale will say I've dropped couple pounds. My strength is great, better then college years. I have good energy. My Joints Hurt some (knees/ankles). Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY Appreciated!
    A 2lb drop of fat would be a 7000 calorie burn ON TOP what you should already be burning. I KNOW your not doing that, so the scale weight you see is a fluctuation of water. Which explains the almost 9lb "bounce" you're probably experiencing. To gain muscle, if that's your intention, your energy consumption has to exceed your energy output. You will probably gain a little fat with it, but if your macro/micronutrients are correct you should be gaining a little muscle at a time too. Do know that extra curricular activity beyond actually weight lifting and moderate cardio will slow how you gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Options

eat more calorie dense foods...cut out all "diet" foods (for a lack of a better word).

1. whole grain/ezekiel bread --80+ calories per slice
    2. whole milk 150+ calories per cup
    3. whole eggs -80 per egg
    4. olive oil-120 cals per tbsp
    5. nuts -160 cals per oz
    6. brown rice -150 per serving
    7. seeds- 160ish per oz
    8. cheese -100 per oz
    9. banana-100 per medium banana
    10. protein powder --140 cals per scoop

Now if you ate:
    1. breakfast: oats (150) cooked in whole milk (150) w/2 tbsp pb (200) and a mashed banana (100) plus a protein shake made with 2 scoops protein (280) 1.5 cups milk (225) youd be at ~1100 calories for breakfast alone. That's oats and a shake. Not incredibly filling and not gross.

2. snack: 2 oz nuts (320) and a fruit (100) = 420 calories

3. lunch: sandwich= 2 slices bread (160) 1 oz cheese (100) 4oz chicken breast (120) 1 tbsp mayo or hummus (50-100). plus 1 cup chopped veggies (50) w/ 4 tbsp hummus (or other dip) (100) = 580-630 calories

4. treat: protein bar (200)

5. dinner: 2 servings ww pasta (360) tossed w/ 1 tbsp olive oil (120) 1 oz pine nuts (160) 1 cup broccoli (30) 4 oz chicken or tuna (120) and 1 oz parmesan cheese (100) = 890 calories

= 3200 calories WITHOUT an evening snack and without being incredibly full. If you need more calories add a protein shake with your protein bar or dinner, have an evening snack, or pack a more substantial lunch (1 sandwich and some veggies isn't MUCH in the slightest).