lowered triglycerides

not sure where to post this, but i just had my lipids checked to see if the fenofibrate 54mg x2, once a day was working. my cholesterol dropped from 242 to 175, my triglygerides dropped from 754 to 93. --hdl is now 43, LDL calculated is 113, cholesterol/high density lipoprotein is 4.1

but i'm waiting to hear from my doc as to the reasons why he still wants me taking the fenofibrate same dosage for the next 3 months, and then testing again. --i thought my numbers were great!

i was on atkins and eating saturated fat with every meal for 9 months, so we both thought that was the culprit. now, i've cut all bad fats, exercising more, but i'm still on meds!

--confused, and disappointed...

:(

Replies

• congrats I have done a lot of searching, Im recovering from a stroke and high trigiycerides I found eat right and exercise you dont need the meds your doctor probaly gets a kick back for putting you on them. although 754 thats a heart failour ist it
  • roweac
    roweac Posts: 3 Member
    It is great you got your numbers that low. I have genetic hypertriglycerimia, medical term for a genetic problem with regulating triglycerides. The got to 5000 and put me in the ICU with really bad Pancreatitis. Needless to say I have been on fenofibrate or fibric acid of some sort for years. I was working out and thinking I was eating right and not really losing any wight. Although for my frame and musculature I still maintain that at 225 to 235 or so I was not horribly obese as things like the BMI would have you believe. I started counting calories here and I have lost right at 20 lbs I am now <215 and still dropping. I eat what I like just watch the saturated fat and cholesterol. My numbers last time went from and average for trigs of around 300 to 78, total cholesterol down from >200 to 133, LDLs from always above 120 to 80, HDL from like 30 to 39. Blood pressure is down and I feel better. My GP wants me to keep it up and check again in 3 to 6 months and he promises we will drop the "Trilipix". I am also taking 4000 mg/day of cholesterol free fish oil, which I am hoping he will cut in half, but I can live with that. I am 39 and have been watching the men in my life have cardiovascular issues and I just want to do everything I can to prevent that. Sounds like you had a diet issue, keep it up and next time tell your doc you want off the meds and ask him what you have to do to get there, if he refuses without a reasonable medical reason seek another opinion. Good luck and keep it up
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    not sure where to post this, but i just had my lipids checked to see if the fenofibrate 54mg x2, once a day was working. my cholesterol dropped from 242 to 175, my triglygerides dropped from 754 to 93. --hdl is now 43, LDL calculated is 113, cholesterol/high density lipoprotein is 4.1

but i'm waiting to hear from my doc as to the reasons why he still wants me taking the fenofibrate same dosage for the next 3 months, and then testing again. --i thought my numbers were great!

i was on atkins and eating saturated fat with every meal for 9 months, so we both thought that was the culprit. now, i've cut all bad fats, exercising more, but i'm still on meds!

--confused, and disappointed...

:(

Exercise and a proper diet go a long way toward fixing triglycerides. I tried cholesterol meds in the past and my liver didn't like them. Luckily, my insurance covers Lovaza (fish oil) and that stuff has worked miracles. Now that I'm eating properly and exercising, I think my numbers will go down even further. Ask your doctor about trying out fish oil. Why take harsh meds when something as natural as fish oil can have a similar effect?