Ladies who squat with weights

Options

Replies

• AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love doing squats, I actually have a little bit of a butt now!
    [/quote

Yup. Not a small reason why I'm doing them...
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    I mean, in my opinion, if you have 2 similar options, why do the one that is not going to yield the best results? Doesn't make sense...
    Anyways, I agree that squatting with a barbell makes for feel like more of a badazz. And I'm all for that!

Cool. It looks like the barbell + rack option is coming up as the clear winner here.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Barbell + plates with a squat rack/power cage. If my gym did not have one I would change gyms.

That's what I did
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    Barbell FTW, no contest.

The smith machine screws with your range of motion, and doesn't allow you to use your core/stabilizing muscles, so in the future, if you THINK you can squat 120 (or whatever weight) because "I did it in the Smith", and you try with a barbell, you will find that you will fail miserably. It fools you into thinking you can do it when you really can't.

IMO smith squats don't count. If someone told me their 1RM was higher than mine, but they only do smith, they are NOT higher than me!

Yeah, I've definitely thought about the bragging factor. I would hate to have to qualify that I squatted so many pounds... but it's on the machine. :-P
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I squat with dumbbells. There is neither a Smith machine nor a barbell where I go. It's a "ladies" gym, and not my first choice, but the only place close enough I can get there regularly, so you do what you gotta do.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Free weights! Form is KEY! I can't stand the Smith Machine. It's very awkward for me.

Sara
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Olympic Barbell and plates. My entire body is engaged. You should not need a spotter for this.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    Barbell..plates.. power rack.. hands down the most challenging full body engaging strength workout. My heart rate soars and every muscle feels it.

That's why I want to do it!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this thread! I've been using the Smith machine. I just use the bar with no added weight, but it has never felt comfortable. I'm very careful with my foot position, etc., and I feel lucky I haven't been injured!

So, my next squats workout will be a new one. I will need to be taught the best way to squat for my body and experience level, which really is a beginner.

Thank you all for the posts!
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    Wow. I really appreciated everyone's input. Definitely no Smith machine for me now.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need a spotter for squats if you use a squat rack. I always use a barbell with weights to get a better range of motion. You're restricted in the smith machine and it makes it dangerous.
    The Smith machine really does not allow one to maintain proper form and alignment when doing squats. Stick to the barbell.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this thread! I've been using the Smith machine. I just use the bar with no added weight, but it has never felt comfortable. I'm very careful with my foot position, etc., and I feel lucky I haven't been injured!

So, my next squats workout will be a new one. I will need to be taught the best way to squat for my body and experience level, which really is a beginner.

Thank you all for the posts!
    Back squat to parralel or lower if you can keep your form and keep your heels planted. Start with just the bar till you have the movement down.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Smith machine. It just isn't for me.

I like using a barbell w/ a power cage at the gym or I'll use a dumbbell at home and do goblet squats. I love goblet squats. I can get much deeper than a traditional back squat. You just can't get as heavy when you're doing those.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Barbell 100%. I also like to mix it up and do some high rep work doing Goblet & Narrow Front Squats w/a Kettlebell
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Smith machine. It just isn't for me.

I like using a barbell w/ a power cage at the gym or I'll use a dumbbell at home and do goblet squats. I love goblet squats. I can get much deeper than a traditional back squat. You just can't get as heavy when you're doing those.

Sez who? Did you mean "I can't get as heavy..." Check out the women doing NROL4W. Heavy and deep A2G so to speak.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use dumbells and a weighted vest, but then I do it at home and that's all I have. But it works just fine.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    read what rippetoe says about squatting in the smith machine.... He should know.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Power rack with barbell...act like the Smith machine doesn't exist. It shouldn't. Also, reading other replies...if you're able to do more than say 8 reps with the weight...you should lift heavier. Another point regarding spotters...if you are properly using a power rack with the bars set at an appropriate height...you never need a spotter.

agree 100$
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I only use free weights when I do my squats, or a sandbag.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Barbell in a squat cage, you engage your core and your form is better than when using a Smith machine.

The smith machine at my gym pretty much gets dusty lol