confused..?! need help on my calories.

Options
SO, TMI but When I started my weight loss I was 235 lbs I have lost about 20 lbs (I am 5'7") so still way over weight I am confused about calories because... I am still breast feeding and want to make sure I am getting enough but not too much kinda thing ?? I know some ppl have their calories set to 1200-??? but my issue is currently I had my calories at about 1920 my baby who is 8 months now still BF's alot 6-9 times a day but does eat some food. In my thinking I would subtract 500 cal. and I would be at 1420 which is about where it says I should be for having a sedentary lifestyle and wanting to lose about 1.5 lbs a week. So getting to my problem I seem to have a hard time eating just to the 1420 let alone having 500 cal taken away in BF I am just not that hungry... what would some of you suggest my caloric intake be with BF?

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I found some of this online, hope it helps:

"Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake. "

"An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight. Since the recommended added calories during the last two trimesters of pregnancy is 300 calories/day, an exclusively breastfeeding mother will typically need either the same amount of calories she was getting at the end of pregnancy, or up to 200 additional calories per day. That’s the equivalent of adding 1-2 healthy snacks per day. "
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks! so maybe around the 1900 might be a good goal. I found I can get the calories if I eat like crap ie yesterday going out for chinese food but if I am eating healthy getting to that 1900 mark seems tough when making healthy choices...
    maybe adding in a glass of milk or something may help boost the calories... I just don't like pushing myslef to eat more if I am not hungry..?!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I know, our bodies are so weird! One day the calories aren't enough and the next, too much. I guess as long as we are making healthy choices, we're doing alright!