Almost at that FML point...

Options
I am so sick of 'dieting'. And I know, I know, 'its a lifestyle change'. *I want to change my lifestyle, but its harder on me for some reason. I have daily issues that I must deal with, and I do attempt to eat as healthy as allowed, but I'm not going anywhere.
My depression is really getting me down.. The pills don't work anymore..
I emailed my boss earlier to request some 'come in late/leave early days' to go to these phsyc appts, and don't you know that she came to my dept and told me that "no, I am not going to approve your time off, and if you so decide to leave without my approval, thats on you". Basically leaving me to believe I will be fired for leaving, I don't give a flying ****. I am leaving. I have to take care of me, right?
I cried infront of that douche bag. I have had a horrible experience being an employee of one of the biggest & best hospitals in Boston. (BMC) & I told her this, not like she cares.
I called my boyfriend in tears, and said that I was giving the manager my 2 weeks today, and he was for it, cause he knows that they treat me like utter **** up here, but one of the nurses in my clinic talked me out of giving 2 weeks notice, due to the fact that I'm outta here 12-31 (it was a temp position)... and I would be assed out w/o a paycheck... I'm soo upset right now, and this was an hour ago.. If you've made it this far..thanks for reading.. I am gonna crawl under a rock until 2pm (cause I AM leaving early w/o her approval)
I feel horrible. But I* don't have that "omg, food will make me feel better" horrible feeling (thank god!). I am just REALLY upset, all around.

Replies

• mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I want to tell you something that I've learned in the few short years I've been in the "workforce"....

Your employer is NOT committed to you, therefore you should NOT be committed to them. In the long run, they are going to do what is best for them, whether it be raises or layoffs. They will act in the best interest of the company (as they should, you have to run a business somehow) which means you should act in the best interest of you. If a supervisor of a HOSPITAL can't even understand how important it is for you to make it to doctor appointments that are essential for your well-being then you need to go somewhere else. It would probably be fair to try to schedule appointments that are not during the work day or during lunch occassionally but when push comes to shove, no one is more important than you and your family. Do what you need to do, girl. Go find a job where they care about your health. Good luck. :heart:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    F- ur boss. Do what's best for u. Perhaps u can work thru lunch to make up for the lost time?

Did u mean come in early/ leave early days?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of 'dieting'. And I know, I know, 'its a lifestyle change'. *I want to change my lifestyle, but its harder on me for some reason. I have daily issues that I must deal with, and I do attempt to eat as healthy as allowed, but I'm not going anywhere.
    My depression is really getting me down.. The pills don't work anymore..
    I emailed my boss earlier to request some 'come in late/leave early days' to go to these phsyc appts, and don't you know that she came to my dept and told me that "no, I am not going to approve your time off, and if you so decide to leave without my approval, thats on you". Basically leaving me to believe I will be fired for leaving, I don't give a flying ****. I am leaving. I have to take care of me, right?
    I cried infront of that douche bag. I have had a horrible experience being an employee of one of the biggest & best hospitals in Boston. (BMC) & I told her this, not like she cares.
    I called my boyfriend in tears, and said that I was giving the manager my 2 weeks today, and he was for it, cause he knows that they treat me like utter **** up here, but one of the nurses in my clinic talked me out of giving 2 weeks notice, due to the fact that I'm outta here 12-31 (it was a temp position)... and I would be assed out w/o a paycheck... I'm soo upset right now, and this was an hour ago.. If you've made it this far..thanks for reading.. I am gonna crawl under a rock until 2pm (cause I AM leaving early w/o her approval)
    I feel horrible. But I* don't have that "omg, food will make me feel better" horrible feeling (thank god!). I am just REALLY upset, all around.

Are you in a union? Because there may be rules in regards to medical appointments and time off. Check with your local office if you are.

If not, yep, your boss is a jerky-pants.
  • RockNRollWeekender
    Options
    I am pretty sure if it's medical why you leave work, they have to allow you to leave.
    Talk to you psych about it...or the physician who referred you. They usually seem to know.
    I had problems at an old employer while I was pregnant. and my ob/gyn seemed to know all the laws.

Regardless of that, your life and happiness is worth more than what any job could pay!

And I feel sorry for you boss.....because she obviously has a sad life that she has to be a b!t(h at work!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Mavsfav2009. you are 100% correct, the company cares about themselves first. And I have to care about myself, before this POS job. I do have a job interview later today for another hospital here in Boston. Wish me luck! & Thank you, also Nolachick! (no, I worte it right..lol.. 'come in late/leave early') and I wouldv'e just not even made up the hours. Ugh, I am fed up, but trying to get in a better state of mind for my interview.
  • Nikki143
    Options
    Not union, viviak.. If I was a permanent employee then I'd be union.. but I'm temp..
  • Nikki143
    Options
    Your right Rock&Roll. She's a douche. But I'm trying to feel ok about it...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Not union, viviak.. If I was a permanent employee then I'd be union.. but I'm temp..

ah. . .pretty dang sad that a health care worker is essentially getting denied access to health-care by her employer. Sorry.
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    Let me just say that your boss is a royal B. It's not like you call in or ask off all the time, right? And any good boss knows that healthy (medically and emotionally) employees are more productive. If she's worried about your motives, she could at least ask for a doctor's note confirmation to show you were there. I hate when bosses dump all over their employees. You can be compassionate and caring without being a doormat.......I wish people understood that.

I agree with previous posters. Go to that interview and work some place where they give a crap. I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Nikki143
    Options
    Let me just say that your boss is a royal B. It's not like you call in or ask off all the time, right? And any good boss knows that healthy (medically and emotionally) employees are more productive. If she's worried about your motives, she could at least ask for a doctor's note confirmation to show you were there. I hate when bosses dump all over their employees. You can be compassionate and caring without being a doormat.......I wish people understood that.

I agree with previous posters. Go to that interview and work some place where they give a crap. I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
    tHANK YOU!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you work, so this may not apply to you, but if you have an HR department, contact them about the Family and Medical Leave Act.

If your company is a certain size and falls under the Act, and you meet the eligibility requirements (worked there for at least a year, worked 1250 hours over the last year) your boss can NOT deny your time off to attend physician appointments for a "serious health condition" as defined by the US Department of Labor. I'm pretty sure the Human Resources office of your company would crap their pants if they knew about your situation regardless of whether or not you're eligible to be covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act..

This is a FEDERAL LAW and is part of what I do for a living (administer the FMLA leave for my company).
    If you feel your employer is in violation of the FMLA, you can contact the US Wage and Hour Division (US Dept. of Labor) at 1-866-4US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243) TTY: 1-877-889-5627 WWW.WAGEHOUR.DOL.GOV
    The FMLA applies to both temporary and permanent employees. There are certain eligibility factors you must meet to be approved for FMLA leave and your HR office can explain all that.

Sorry, your situation got my feathers ruffled here. As someone who works in HR (and as someone who actually *cares* about her employees), I really can't stand a-hole supervisors.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I REALLY can relate to you. I had a manager who (literally, because she got her period and was out for blood one day) fired me (after threatening to take me outside to fight me) when I was 5 and 1/2 months pregnant! It was tough, and I was heartbroken because I thought that I had let my unborn baby down. Then, at 7months pregnant, I lost my medical insurance because my former employer would no longer offer insurance to his employees so I could not be covered by Cobra (eventhough, I was still paying the premium).

I have also struggled with depression for years and at times it feels like you won't keep your head above the water. I have finally found some peace and comfort though and my life is really blessed and on track. I know that it feels like an endless abyss and you feel hopeless and tired but, you can get through it and find yourself even stronger. Be patient with yourself and trust your instincts.

I don't have any real advice for you but, I thought it may bring you comfort to know that there is someone out there who knows exactly how you feel and is rooting for you. :frown: :flowerforyou:
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    See girl! I know there was something family medical leave or other!! :)
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling. I deal with depression as well. it got worse in April and I've been seeking psychiatric help. As best I can. I have to keep rescheduling cuz things in life keep coming up. I'm thankful, my ex, my daughters dad has really been there for me and he's the only person in my life who remains helpful to me. I wish you lots of luck and definitely look into the FMLA as you were told by others.
  • nolachick
    Options
    I don't know where you work, so this may not apply to you, but if you have an HR department, contact them about the Family and Medical Leave Act.

If your company is a certain size and falls under the Act, and you meet the eligibility requirements (worked there for at least a year, worked 1250 hours over the last year) your boss can NOT deny your time off to attend physician appointments for a "serious health condition" as defined by the US Department of Labor. I'm pretty sure the Human Resources office of your company would crap their pants if they knew about your situation regardless of whether or not you're eligible to be covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act..

This is a FEDERAL LAW and is part of what I do for a living (administer the FMLA leave for my company).
    If you feel your employer is in violation of the FMLA, you can contact the US Wage and Hour Division (US Dept. of Labor) at 1-866-4US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243) TTY: 1-877-889-5627 WWW.WAGEHOUR.DOL.GOV
    The FMLA applies to both temporary and permanent employees. There are certain eligibility factors you must meet to be approved for FMLA leave and your HR office can explain all that.

Sorry, your situation got my feathers ruffled here. As someone who works in HR (and as someone who actually *cares* about her employees), I really can't stand a-hole supervisors.

wow u are awesome! thnx for the info~!
  • Nikki143
    Options
    Thaks for the info, JLB, I'll look into it! & Thanks ladies for being soo supportive. You ladies really helped through my day!
    Today Is another day, and I totally rocked that interview.. Hopefully they'll call me!!
  • nolachick
    Options
    I hope they do! I'm glad your interview went well. I'm sure that made u feel a lot better.
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi and you're wonderful. Have a good day! Good luck with the call back!
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I know I'm a little late to the thread and I hope you're doing okay. I just wanted to say that I agree with the others.

Your mental health comes first... You come first. Hang in there. Wishing you the best.