Help!!!! Half Marathon Training

Options
I am 39 days out from my first Half Marathon and my training is not going so well. Let me break it down:

I work swing shift (3pm - 11:30pm) by the time I get home and wind down it is 1am
I have to take the kid to school at 7am.
I live in the desert and it is usually 90-100 degrees out by the time I drop her off at school.

So....do I get up at 5am and try to train on 4 or less hours of sleep or do I suffer the deadly heat?

Oh yeah, dont recommend training in the treadmill. Not only do I have a short attention span, but legs that go on for days and the dreadmill hurts my hips something awful.

Would it be worth it to join a gym with an indoor track for a month or two? The closest one to me is 20 miles away.

Thanks for any input/support you can offer!

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Can you nap after taking the kid to school if you wake up at the crack of dawn?
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym with an indoor track go for it, it sounds like you need all the sleep you can get. I imagine that it is miserable to run out there during the day (probably not much better at night) and so a place where you can make your distance would sound good to me. Plus, with the distances you are running it is probably not safe to run during the day as you do not want to dehydrate your self. That is my opinion, I am sure others will have experience to go with theirs.