deit help - sodium help

Options
I've been noticing that my daily intake of sodium is always way over. Because of my work I end up eating a lot of can goods which is where the bulk of my sodium comes from.
Does anyone have any suggestions to try and lower my sodium intake?

Replies

• smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Pack your own lunch plenty of fresh veggies and if need be cook your meals the day before and pack them.
  • coops9999
    coops9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too struggled with sodium intake and now try and pre-prepare my own meals which greatly reduces the sodium content. I know it is time consuming, but I will do a big batch of cooking on Saturday or Sunday, grilled chicken breasts etc, then zap them when I want them during the week, cuts sodium down a lot. Maybe you could try making your own soup or similar at the weekend and tupperware it for meals as you go?

Anything that is 'preserved' will have a high sodium content, or is seasoned (like frozen meats) and don't get me started on fast food.... Hardee's within a mile of my house and I can almost smell it :-)
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water as well. Dropping the sodium will result in a fairly large dip in your weight as the water retention created by the excess salt goes away. One good week with low sodium will work magic on the scale.
  • blondechic213
    Options
    Although there's no way to measure the exact amount your reducing, try thoroughly rinsing all canned goods. You'll be washing away a good portion of the sodium and preservatives. I found this especially helpful when I make chili, which consists entirely of canned goods. Good luck!