Weight loss and buying new clothes.

Options
2»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I wore a lot of dresses. Dresses are way more forgiving than pants when you lose weight. Add a belt, and a blazer and you're stylin'

A cute vintage dress is less than $10 at my local consignment shop.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    haha sale watching and suffering through big and baggy, and then buying new stuff with the change of seasons (when i'd want new stuff anyway!) it's nice to have to buy new stuff because it's too big now instead of because i wore it out last season
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    ebay, thrift stores, consignment shops and yards sales....in the last 2 yrs I have gone from a tight size 24 to a size 10 .....I had to find a way to buy cheap clothes because for awhile I was changing my wardrobe every 30-60 days......CONGRATS on your weightloss and have fun shopping
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but when I get there I plan on hitting sale and clearance racks and just buying what I need to get by.

I've been looking at a lot of refashion blogs for ideas as well for inspiration, so I'm planning on attempting to re-work some of my favorite items so I can get more use out of things. We'll see how that goes...
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    i sold and brought from ebay!!
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself something nice - that you look really good in. It will keep you motivated to lose more and look even better. Dress the body you have now.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Plato's Closet is the way to go. I got AE jeans for 15 bucks and Michael kors for $20. I have also gotten a few shirts for 5-10 bucks each.
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about this today as well. I was curious if there was some MFP clothing-swap we could put together or something. We're all going to be those in-between sizes and we're all at different stages. Is there a way we could put together a group or something to give the clothes that are too big to someone who is just starting out, and take the "fat" clothes from someone who is farther along in the journey? No money, just giving and receiving?

Thoughts?

I think that's a great idea! :)

They've tried to do that on here before... never really caught on. Only a few people would post on the 'trade' thread, so it wasn't very enticing. AND people have so many different tastes and heights.

I'm with going to a consignment store (like Platos) and getting money for your old clothes, and buying some new ones. 3 years ago I lost 35 lbs and sold all my clothes and would then buy new. I would lose more weight, and sell my new clothes and buy new new permanent clothes! Maybe more expensive that way, but it felt SOOO good to wear clothes that fit and showed off my new body!
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    I didn't have this problem as I had kept gaining weight but had kept my smaller sizes. Now, I donate my "large size outgrown clothes" to the homeless shelter, immediately when they become too big. And wear my older and smaller clothes. I was up to a 14 but still have clothes that are 8/10. I am lucky to not have to buy new clothes until I get down to a 6.

Platos closet (as suggested by someone) else is a great idea. My daughter sold 22 pairs of $100/ pair jeans "she was tired of". Yes, she's a very spoiled teenager - thinks we have a money tree growing in the back yard. And Plato's closet gave her $50 total. LOL I live in a college town, so Plato's closet is swamped with clothes in perfect shape that the "spoiled students" discard as well. You might be surprised at the great clothes you would find at low, low prices there.

Same thing with the thrift stores in my town. Lots of designer name clothing in perfect shape: Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, DKNY etc. Lots of spoiled doctor's wives here, too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your progress so far!!

I get not wanting to part with old clothes - it's tough for sentimental reasons and also that little niggling thought in the back of your head that doubts you'll succeed. Think of it this way, if you get rid of the bigger clothes, that's one more way to motivate you to keep going! I've taken huge bags full of clothing to Goodwill in the last few years. The first trip was hard but once I started, it was so much easier. Although I still have a ton of concert and vacation souvenir t-shirts that I can't seem to part with. They're starting to take up too much space though so I'm going to bite the bullet pretty soon.

Check for consignment shops in your area if you're interested in selling. The one near me has a rule that the clothing must be no older than 3 years and in good condition. As much as I love shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army, consignment shops are much less overwhelming and tend to look the clothing over better before they decide to sell it. And bonus - they're prices are about the same as Goodwill so you're getting a great deal!

ETA: I'd suggest keeping one top and/or one pant so you can have a clothing before/after picture. A couple of people have that as their profile pic here and I just think that is such a great visual!
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You could arrange a clothes swap at work or amongst your friends, we have a bar here in Leicester that does them occasionally too and gets a huge crowd. Everyone brings in the clothes/bags/shoes... that they don't want anymore and gets 1 ticket per item. They can then use those tickets to 'Buy' things that other people have bought in. It works really well and you get the Shopping Spree feeling without spending any money :D