Beginner to lifting heavy. Need your advice please. ^^,

Options
Hi, I'm Dhennie! I've been with MFP for 5 months now.. I'm 5'2" starting at 132 lbs and currently at 125. Had a steady weight loss until this month when I gained 4 lbs back. MFP has set me at 1200 calories to lose 1 lb/wk, but I have difficulty getting that number so I've changed my preferences to 1330 calories to lose .5 lb/wk. My exercise regimen has mostly been HIIT and JM's vids (using 3 and 5lbs handweights). From the forums, men and women have recommended weight training to get the body they want. I am aiming to lose that last 10 lbs, lower my Body Fat % and get stronger! =)

I'm just confused on how to do it, what should be my starting weight, how often do you do it and what changes should I make on my eating on days that I lift. I've looked into NROLFW and 5X5 stronglifts, but not really sure what to follow. I plan to do this next week since our office has a gym.

Also, I'll be out of the country (and thus no access to weights) for 3 weeks. Does it have any effect since I have a 3 week difference in lifting? I worry that I would lift, take a break, then go back to being weak. I'm sorry if the question sounded dumb, but I have limited knowledge in this area.

Looking forward to your replies. Thank you for taking the time to read this out and help me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    After lifting heavy for several weeks and then going back you may actually gain strength. Muscle is built with rest and breaks. If you do lose a bit of strength, it won't be much. I stopped lifting for 6 months, and went back and I have lost a bit of strength but not much and I am regaining it quickly. Also, while you are on break you can do body weight exercises to continue working out and getting strong - think push ups.

Either stronglifts 5x5 or NROFLW are good. You start by picking a weight - any weight you want. And doing the exercise. If it seems easy/light to finish one set, then go up to the next weight for the next set, until it gets hard.

And think about it this way, generally most women lift 5lb weights but have no problems carrying their 30lb child through a park or zoo or whatever. (Women under estimate their strength a lot). So if you think you can do 5, start with 8 or 10 or 12. I bet you'll be able to do it most of the time. You want to be able to but it be really hard to finish the last rep of the last set. You don't want to feel like you can do another set.

My guess is that you have put a 10lb bag of sugar/flour/jar on a top shelf in your kitchen or carried a 10lb bag of cat food or dog food into your house or a gallon jug of milk (8lbs). And you probably never thought about it. So pick a weight, and go for it. See how hard it is. If you aren't ready to absolutely drop the weight when you are done, go up in weight.

Good luck.
  • sdierker14
    sdierker14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything @healthyKYgirl said. I've been out of lifting for a few weeks as I'm also a volleyball player, but the time off hasn't affected my strength at all.
    I would recommend starting with lifting about 4 days a week at the most. Keeping to full body, compound lifts at first will be more effective than doing arm days, leg days, etc. Just start with a low weight and do 5 reps, making sure you stay in form. If you could easily do more reps, bump up the weight a few pounds. There's no set starting weight, it's just a weight that feels heavy to you.

I really recommend hammer curls(biceps) , single and double dumbbell rows(back), military presses(shoulders), squats with dumbbells or back and front barbell squats (legs), step ups with weights (legs), and deadlifts (legs!)
    obviously what you can do depends on what equipment you have and whether or not you;ll be going to a gym. Just play around with different combinations of exercises until you find one that works well for you.
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @healthyKYgirl: That was a good perspective. I didn't realize I was already lifting heavy way before. It goes to show that women can do more! I'll start with a smaller weight and move the intensity up as I progress. Thanks so much! :bigsmile:

@sdierker14: I love deadlifts! I love what that it makes me feel so strong. And of course, what it does to my butt. :wink:
    Will incorporate your suggested exercises in my regimen. Thank you!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Check into this group, Great info! and the book is Great!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm almost exactly the same size as you and have the same goal. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 weeks ago. i love it so far and am seeing improvement in my abs especially. Maybe look up some exercises you can do using your bodyweight only to do when you can't lift weights? Push ups are fabulous, lunges, squats, a lot of stuff you can do.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The Strong lifts and new rules of lifting are good programs but not that "portable when you go on Vaca - you could get resistance bands and use them on vacations since they fit in you bag alot better than Barbells and plates. :laugh:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    YES!! bump! i love lifting :love:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you might find this article interesting..the program is designedf or men and oman so that you can cut body fat and not lose muscle..

http://workoutlab.net/building-muscle-and-burning-fat-simultaneously-is-it-possible/

Of course if you just starting trying to put on lean muscle you may want to work out with heavier weights for a month and then go to this..
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    We're TWINS...sort of.
    I'm a couple inches shorter and have gone through the SAME thing.
    I JUST posted a super-similar question.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/723717-setting-weight-lifitng-goals
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks op for asking this, Im in a similar situation. I have been doing cardio with a weekly body balance class and have decided its time to add in lifting. I plan on going to do weights at the gym for twenty minutes before my two shortest cardio classes to start with. Will take the advice given and increase the weights til i struggle to complete the set.
    I know i need to do it if i am ever going to have the body i want.
    My legs are really strong but my upper body bordering on pathetic :D
    i am just really scared of the weights room as im crap and don't know what im doing!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks op for asking this, Im in a similar situation. I have been doing cardio with a weekly body balance class and have decided its time to add in lifting. I plan on going to do weights at the gym for twenty minutes before my two shortest cardio classes to start with. Will take the advice given and increase the weights til i struggle to complete the set.
    I know i need to do it if i am ever going to have the body i want.
    My legs are really strong but my upper body bordering on pathetic :D
    i am just really scared of the weights room as im crap and don't know what im doing!

I would recommend buying and reading Starting Strength. My wife read it and walked into the gym doing barbell back squats, bench press, overhead press, and deadlifts with little instruction from me. Just cues and form check really.
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for replying! You guys are very supportive. WIll look into your suggestions. Thanks again! :bigsmile:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A lot was covered here it appears, but one thing I will throw in (and apologies if I missed it through my skimming), don't let the number on the scale define how you feel about you. The mirror speaks much more clearly there!