Are the calorie counters on gym machines fairly accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I generally assume that I burn 100 calories per mile or per 10 minutes --- i always feel that my counts are overestimated when endomondo syncs my runs to here
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    I've been using the calorie counter on the treadmill to count the calories I burn and I've been losing weight so far. When you put the incline up you burn a lot more calories than if you were to walk without an incline.

If you feel that it is not accurate then you should buy a HMR.

I've had the same success using the numbers I get from the equipment at the gym. I'm eating all my exercise calories back and so far have been losing without a problem. I have faith that the numbers I'm being given are pretty close if not completely accurate.
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is terrible news. This whole time I thought it was accurate. I am so bummed. I feel like every time I am on a workout machine I am getting an amazing workout and that the calories burned seemed accurate.

Now I need to get a Heart Monitor to find out what I am really burning? Bummer.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of women at my gym who crack me up, as they angle the tread mill as high as it will go, and then lean most of their weight on the rails, while they walk at about 3mph while carrying on a loud discussion about generic fluff head gossip.
    I know that there is no way on earth that the calorie count for them is accurate.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    Everybody says they overestimate, but surprisingly, for me they underestimate. My HRM always gives me a higher reading, go figure!