How often a week

Options
Ok I realise this is a ver general question but I guess I need a rough idea that Im doing the right thing! General info on me first. I currently weigh 218lbs, 5ft 4, suffer with a knee condition which restricts me to no running, I also have thyroid problems! I'm looking to lose around 5 stone or there abouts, I know this is a long process, Ive so far lost 2 stone over the last year (wasnt working half as hard as I am now though)

Ive just started with a personal trainer, I see him once a week for an hours session. He has also set "homework" for throughout the week, 1 based on a half hour session the other based on an hours session depending what time I have to workout between work.

Question is, how many sessions / hours should you try and work out a week? So far this week Ive done 2.5 hours, I plan on another 2 hours before the week is out giving me a total of 4.5 hours weekly. Is this enough? Im having a rest day today because my body is so sore from the last 3 intense days of the new routine and just feel like I should be at the gym otherwise all my hard work is going to waste, I know thats not the case and its all a mental thing for me but if I had a rough idea of how often or how much you should do for good results it would put my mind at ease that Im doing it right, dont want to be disappointed when I jump on the scales on Sunday!

Replies

• katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Ok I realise this is a ver general question but I guess I need a rough idea that Im doing the right thing! General info on me first. I currently weigh 218lbs, 5ft 4, suffer with a knee condition which restricts me to no running, I also have thyroid problems! I'm looking to lose around 5 stone or there abouts, I know this is a long process, Ive so far lost 2 stone over the last year (wasnt working half as hard as I am now though)

Ive just started with a personal trainer, I see him once a week for an hours session. He has also set "homework" for throughout the week, 1 based on a half hour session the other based on an hours session depending what time I have to workout between work.

Question is, how many sessions / hours should you try and work out a week? So far this week Ive done 2.5 hours, I plan on another 2 hours before the week is out giving me a total of 4.5 hours weekly. Is this enough? Im having a rest day today because my body is so sore from the last 3 intense days of the new routine and just feel like I should be at the gym otherwise all my hard work is going to waste, I know thats not the case and its all a mental thing for me but if I had a rough idea of how often or how much you should do for good results it would put my mind at ease that Im doing it right, dont want to be disappointed when I jump on the scales on Sunday!
    [/quote

First and foremost, congratulations on the loss you have already had and on changing your lifestyle.

How many sessions / hours you should work out is between you, your trainer and your doctor. for me personally, I try to hit the gym at minium every other day and I have knee issues as well and I do the elliptical and set it on moderate resistance and push thru till i can't push any more. The other thing to remember is to ALWAYS STRETCH before and after your work out. Remember, the weight did not go on over night and it is not going to go away over night.

Hope this helps.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up before you stretch BEFORE your workout...snapped tendons isn't nice :smile:
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks - yes all strecthes done before after and even sometimes during if Ive come off the xtrainer after 20 mins for example so no probs there, just tired muscles today not used to doing so much I guess! I always thought as long as my body can put up with it its good enough for me and I have at least a year before i need to squeeze into a bikini lol. Just I think from changing up the gym routine I feel incredibly guilty having an off day - need to wrap my head around the fact that its just as important to rest. curious as to what others consider the norm.
  • katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I try to go every day just for stress reduction and this is when I take my "me" time. As long as I go every other day I don't stress about it. If i'm super sore, then i will just cut my work out in 1/2, The way I see it, as long as I'm getting to the gym I'm doing better than I was last month. What i've had to deal with personally is all mental. I have to remember that something is better than nothing when it comes to the gym. The other battle i'm having is eating enough calories..... but I'm working on fixing that one.. :) good luck.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    thanks yes your right I used to only go 3 times a week but since I moved gyms to one on the same street as my work its easier to fit out a routine in the morning before starting work so now I tend to feel guilty if I go into work and havent done a workout because I have to pass the gym. On saying that though I actually really enjoy it, its a great gym very friendly, welcoming, and I secretly love how much sweat I can get after a good session and doesnt feel like hell, I really enjoy the workouts its just the aches afterwards, your right it is a mental battle though. Ive spent years convincing myself I HAD to work out and now Im finally doing it I now need to convince myself to take a break once in a while lol