Need support

Hi all, am trying to lose weight on here, but even though I'm not "dieting" as such I feel like I'm going without so keep self sabotaging with things like chocolates or booze! Am logging the calorie content though.

I'm based in UK and find it difficult to get childcare at the times when I'd like to exercise. Been eating 1200 per day but just weighed in for third time and my weight has increased by 0.1kg:(

What am I doing wrong? Should I eat more? Currently weigh 80.2 kg, should be more like 65 kg for my height/ build etc.

Really think I need some support and possibly some advice. I am doing at least one exercise DVD a week, but not sure why nothing's happening. Have lost 1.8 kg in 3 weeks, about 4lb???

Please help by adding me
Thanks

Replies

• Hi!

So i think your issue is that you think you NEED food. to be honest you seriously don't. no one does. eating 1200 a day is perfect. i have been doing this for a week and a half and i have lost 3.9 kilograms.

you need to sort out and organise your life! get a sitter or someone to help you to organise the kid(s) and get training. stuff the DVD's they do nothing its better to go for a walk/run or go to the gym. it gets addictive believe me. and trust me when you stop even thinking about "dieting" or even losing weight it simply comes off you :)
  • drailine
    drailine Posts: 13 Member
    Part of it might be when and how you are eating/intaking your calories. You need to spread your caloric intake out throughout the day. If you are eating all of your calories in one or two sittings a day, then you may be putting your body in starvation mode (which then tells your body to hold on to everything that you eat when you do eat). Eating smaller meals throughout the day will help to stave off hunger, and keep your blood glucose level even. And for heaven sakes, stop with the alcohol...it's nothing more than empty calories; and it's a depressant so if you're already feeling bad about your weight loss, it certainly isn't going to make you feel any better.

Regarding the exercising, ease your way into it. You're already doing a DVD once a week, try to gradually increase the number of days (even if the amount of time isn't as much as you would like, it's still something - and every little bit counts/helps). You also mentioned having children...if they are young, then put them in a stroller and walk around town. Or take them to the park and run around playing with them. Not only will it help to get your metabolism going, it will also help to tighten the bond between you and your children.
  • great tips btw your really good at this stuff.
  • joannecollar
    joannecollar Posts: 4 Member
    Right there with you. I have 5 children and very little time to myself for exercise. By nightfall I am craving all things sugary and am becoming my own worst enemy.
  • jonkers2012
    jonkers2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Nothing to add to the great tips above, but feel free to add me, and if you share your diary the community will be very helpful. Good luck :)
  • Eating 1200 cals a day is called "starving" it's way from "perfect"
    you gain weight cause your body is in an hunger methabolism .... don't cheat and treat your body like that
    calculate your BMR and start eating healthier food

I did the same mistake years ago, listening to the "starve yourself to death is beautiful" shi**
    With healthy food - a bit of training and a bit more of time I lost 75lbs (34kg) in a bit more than 2 years

Eating healthy and loosing weight is fun :-)

If you need support on doing it healthy, add me
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Things I do that are kid friendly, depends on your situation and age of kids though, obviously:
    buggy walking fast, playing ball, exercise dvd at home, dropping off the baby to my partner in his lunch hour so I can go for a swim. Is there a creche at your local gym or pool?

Having children does limit your options for being a gym bunny but there are ways that you can get in some exercise for you even while caring for the children. You just have to get creative, and sometimes use their enthusiasm for getting out to motivate you. Don't call it exercise, call it activity and it might be easier to work into your day.

Self sabotaging is a lot harder when you don't have the binge ingredients in your pantry or fridge ;-)

Oh and by the way, 1.8kg in three weeks is great! Imagine where you would be if you hadn't started three weeks ago, you would probably be up 0.5 kg instead.
  • drailine
    drailine Posts: 13 Member
    For those of you with children, whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of cleaning their plates for them if they don't eat it all. I did that when my son was little; and boy was I sorry. It has a tendency to creep up on you and you wonder where in the world it came from. I used to be a heavy duty carb addict and whenever I got stressed out (in addition to having a young son at home, I was a manager at a local hospital so when wasn't I stressed), I would head right to the snack machine for my Coca-Cola and chips. It got to a point where my staff would go get them for me whenever I started to raise my voice.

The one thing to remember is to NOT deprive your body, eat whatever it is you are craving but in MODERATION. A bite or two should stave off the craving. If you don't satisfy your craving, then you'll end up gorging when you do finally get it. My doctor also told me that when your body craves something, it means that there is something in that food that your body needs. Taking a daily multivitamin might also help to stave off some cravings since they will replace some of the nutrients that your body is looking for but that you aren't eating.

I feel like I'm rambling now so I'll get off of my soap box (plus I have to get ready for work). I hope that at least something I posted helps someone. Good luck to all.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    frankly, you need to exercise more. Add it in gradually as the other MFPer said. Take the kids for a good walk with you. Or if you do exercise DVDs at home, get the older ones to work out with you as much as they can and have the little ones nearby with coloring books and crayons, that kind of things.

I dont' think you mentioned your age but I'm probably a bit older than you (56) and there is no way I would lose with just cutting calories. Revving you metabolism with exercise is a must.

Feel free to add me as a friend-- I'm always up for sending out an encouraging word. You can do this!!!