Any expats?

Options
Hi just joined Mfp as I have moved Kuwait with my husband and all I do is cook and eat out! Seriously need to figure out what to do to entertain myself here besides stuff my face. My job was really active on my feet 8 hours a day and now I do nothing. I don't have any kids and my husband is at work all day which means I have plenty of time to go to the gym but find it really hard to get motivated. The thing is after my workout I feel great. Someone please tell me to get a grip and stop being so lazy. At least working out would give me something to do with my day

Any other advice for a first time expat would be great????

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a perma-expat. Been moving about for ... gasp ... 30 years. New place as of this week.

Get a grip. Join the local expat community, get some friends and DO IT.
    In Kuwait there must be a load of expats. Get crackin!

(feel free to friend me, too.)
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is my 8th year as one.. It seems like getting my health and fitness is order is always the last thing I do when I relocate. Crazily enough it should be the first priority. I think it boils down to just forcing yourself and coming up with fun rewards when you do. You can make it happen!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Can you make friends with someone at the gym and decide to meet up regularly or maybe start by taking a class? If you sign up for classes it helps to get you there and if there's somebody else waiting for you to show up it's quite motivating. Good luck, being away is difficult at first. Just go with the flow kiddo! Get creative and push yourself to get out there. You can do it!! : )
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    Here you go! You asked for it! You are home all day with nothing to do while your husband provides for you. Do you really want your husband to come home every evening to someone who doesn't workout and eat right? Stop being lazy. Have a great day!
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also an expat in the Middle East... I have been in the UAE for just shy of five years... one "good" thing about Kuwait compared to here, when we are talking about a healthier lifestyle, is alcohol isn't rubbed in your face as much (half the promo's here are for ladies nights, brunches, wine & dine etc etc)...

I put my health and fitness on the backburner when I first arrived because everything was a novelty... but get into the gym, you will meet people... I would smile and nod at people at first and then work up the courage to say hello (very shy on first impressions)..

Check out to see if they have something like www.expatwoman.com or www.dubizzle.com in Kuwait... dubizzle is like a classifieds website but has a social page on there as well... You will find LOADS of 'housewives' there to meet up to go to the malls with, have coffee with etc... oh, snap, I just remembered one of the best hot fudge brownies I ever had was in the 'new' mall on the water there back in 2008 :)

Just get up.. get into a routine and you will be fine! :smile:

Add me if you want.... fellow desert (not dessert) lifestyle changer :laugh:
  • kathymcgregor
    kathymcgregor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i joined this a while ago and never bothered going on! I have been attending slimming world for nearly a year now i have lost 2.7 stone i even got voted woman of the year for my group last year :) I have came to a standstill with my weight loss so have decided to come on here and record my food and exercise diary and get some ideas and inspiration of others and see if it gives me some help and a little boost, Now the children are back to school i went and joined my local gym this morning and i have to say i so enjoyed it and i feel great!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    British expat here, currently living in Saudi about to move to Bahrain
  • rebeccask
    Options
    From Wisconsin, USA and living in Thailand. Struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle. No kitchen and it seems most Thai people just go out to eat for every meal because it's cheap and easy. Just looking for more support and advice.

For exercise, I do Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 Pack and I'd love to get back into running but there's no sidewalks near my home and so many stray dogs. Aside from that, I just recently started looking into fitness centers. Kinda pricey taking my income into consideration, but I'd love to fall back into a healthy routine again.