Is it normal to have days like this?

Options
Feeling BLAH :( Have been on MFP around a month now and its been fantastic so far. Of course there have been days where I haven't eaten so well, days when I've had to drag myself off to work out, but overall I've felt great and really motivated.

The last two days though, I have felt like crap. I didn't worry too much yesterday, decided it was just an off day, took a nap instead of working out, ate an icecream and thought tomorrow is a new day, I'll feel fresh and rested and ready to get back into it.
Today I feel even worse! No physical reason why I should be so tired, I've been eating pretty well and wasn't very busy at work, but I feel so lethargic that I cant even get off the couch.

Is it normal to have days like this? A month is the longest Ive ever stuck to any fitness plan, I'm afraid I'm falling off the wagon :frown:

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Even people who aren't watching their diet and exercising have a bad day here and there.

However, it might be a good idea to go back through your diary and see if you can spot anything causing this.

Common culprits:

-No rest days. A lot of people throw themselves into a new workout routine and go too hard, too fast. They forget that your body needs rest to repair and rebuild. Too many workout days and not enough rest days will burn you out mentally and physically.

-Not enough protein in your diet. MFP sets the protein goal too low for an active person. Aim for about .8g of protein per lb of body weight if you are exercising.

-Too strict a diet plan. If you are only eating things you don't like, you'll burn out quickly.
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Awww. I find that sometimes if I eat something unhealthy, say McDonalds for breakfast, the entire day I'll feel like eating crap. I think processed food has addictive chemicals and all that in it, plus it gives you energy crashes etc.

Try to really listen to your body and what it's telling you. Take that "blah" feeling as your body saying it needs to be cleaned out ie. fruit, veggies, green tea until you feel restored again :bigsmile:
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Yes. And it's why I firmly believe in the power of a routine. I have had some weekends where I did absolutely nothing and ate like crap, but when Monday hit and the alarm clock went off I fell right back into my routine without even thinking about it. Fitness and healthy eating isn't rocket science. It's simple (though not easy). And the way I figure it, the more you have to think about, the more you are likely to screw it up.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been there. One of the things I do on those days is remind myself that sometimes exercise gives you energy. I love that even when you have an off day or even an off several days, today you can get back on track.
  • Melissa592
    Options
    OMG...you just totally shared my story! I have been SOOOOO motivated...30 days now...I started on 8/1. It's the longest I've ever stuck to anything...and am SO certain that this time is it because it feels so different than any other time before. However, for the past 4 days now, I have not wanted to do anything. I had been waking up at 5 am to run 3 days a week, I do muay thai 2 days a week and do weightlifting 2-3 days/week. Always super excited and motivated. People have been commenting every day about how they can tell that I'm really losing weight. Now the past few days I'm so tired and just want to stay in bed...and I'm craving ****ty food...which I hadn't done all month (which is also new to me). I don't know what is going on...maybe I was over-training? I don't know if I'm eating too much or not enough...I all of a sudden feel so confused this week and unsure if I'm doing anything the right way. I hope too that it gets better fast, because I'm really scared too and I don't want to screw up again.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Right there with you, girl! I'm currently struggling to come out of my latest slump. There have been several. I think it's normal - you just have to have faith that it's temporary... That doesn't mean don't try - just give yourself a break, and listen to your body. You could be fighting off a virus... PMS... who knows? Like other posters have said, too, take a look at what you're eating ... maybe too restrictive?
  • mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in a slump right now as well :( It's so frustrating, I can't the get the energy or motivation today to do anything! I've not had energy for a few days now! I know I'll feel better soon, (hopefully), but I hate feeling so burnt out!
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you posted this today. I was about to start a new topic...anyone else feeling like crap today? I decided yesterday after a miserable run that I need a rest day. I find this really hard to do. I know that you need to take a rest for your body to grow stronger but something in my head says NO you need to workout everyday or you won't succeed. I need to stop listening to that little voice. I even stepped on the scales this morning (and my weigh-in day is Tuesdays) and it said I was up 1/2 pound...depressed me even more.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this and that apparently it will pass...sooner rather than later. I need to go surround myself with fit healthy positive people today.

Hope your day improves and let both of us remember that this is temporary!!!