Not getting enough protein??

I have my carb / protein / fat set to 50/30/20, which seems reasonable. i eat 2-3 portions of protein a day but always seem to be under- how can i add protein to my diet without compromising on the filling-ness of carbs, and nutrition of fruit&veg?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Try adding Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, protein bars/shakes, lean chicken/beef/venison to your diet.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    eggs are also an excellent source of protein (she says while munching on a big old bowl of scrambled egg!)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    If you're eating 4oz of chicken at a time, up it to 7 or 8oz per meal. Problem solved without adding any yogurt or cheese or other crap.
  • Did you consider a lean protein supplement? May help without con meats or cheeses...
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    pumpkin seeds
    chicken
    fish
    whey protein shake
    cheese
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    pumpkin seeds
    chicken
    fish
    whey protein shake
    cheese

I don't think cheese is a very good source of protein, unless she needs lots of fat still

OP, eat more meat
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Yep, essentially looking for low cal sources.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Lean chicken breast, lean ground turkey, tuna.
  • lambertj
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    pumpkin seeds
    chicken
    fish
    whey protein shake
    cheese

I don't think cheese is a very good source of protein, unless she needs lots of fat still

OP, eat more meat

The one oz of cheese I had last night had 6 grams of protein in it. And fat isn't bad, you need fat. I'd lower your carbs to 40 and up your fat.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    If you're eating 4oz of chicken at a time, up it to 7 or 8oz per meal. Problem solved without adding any yogurt or cheese or other crap.

This is what I had to do. I am managing to hit (just barely) my macros after tossing in a shake as well - 150g daily. I stopped eating the 'recommended' 3 - 4 oz servings and started going closer to 7 or 8.
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    pumpkin seeds
    chicken
    fish
    whey protein shake
    cheese

OP, eat more meat

The one oz of cheese I had last night had 6 grams of protein in it. And fat isn't bad, you need fat. I'd lower your carbs to 40 and up your fat.

I track my sat fat and try hard not to exceed. oils / nuts etc are ok, though.
  • lambertj
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    pumpkin seeds
    chicken
    fish
    whey protein shake
    cheese

OP, eat more meat

I track my sat fat and try hard not to exceed. oils / nuts etc are ok, though.

You may want to check out this article: http://www.kriskris.com/is-saturated-fat-bad-for-you/
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    I'd say just have slightly more of what you are already eating.
    I use protein shakes, but each to their own.
  • Protein is HUGELY filling.
    I always go way over.
    I eat Chicken, cheese (small amts) eggs, turkey sausage, shrimp etc all excellent sources of protein and they fill me up.
    Works for me. :-)
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Until your doctor says you're not getting enough protein, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
  • deckpen
    deckpen Posts: 4
    Canned Tuna Fish in water. Aldi has Northern catch brand that is 100 calories and has 26 grams of protein also good flavor.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    I have my carb / protein / fat set to 50/30/20, which seems reasonable. i eat 2-3 portions of protein a day but always seem to be under- how can i add protein to my diet without compromising on the filling-ness of carbs, and nutrition of fruit&veg?

IMO, you should consume at least 1-1.5g of protein per pound bodyweight. And your carb seems to be a bit high. If I am to do macro ratio for fatloss it'll be 35/45/25.. The usual ratio people use is 40/40/20. Well when I try to lose fat I cut carbs a bit and increase the protein and healthy fats (EFA's) and I reduce carbs a lil bit. It's pretty effective in losing fat while maintaining lean body mass during a fatloss cyclle. If you are worried about getting hungry because of the reduced amount of carbs, I'd suggest that you make a plan on how will you distribute the carbs throughout the day. What I'm trying to say is, eat most of them at the time when you are most hungry, a good time to eat majority of them is post workout, because your body is depleted of glycogen and it needs to replenish them right away. And also during meals try to eat a slow digesting carb, lean protein and throw in some healthy fats. That will keep you satisfied for at least 3 hours.

To add protein to your diet, you may want to throw in some protein powders, non fat plain greek yogurt (chobani), low fat cottage cheese.

Oh and also if you want to reduce carbs calories but worried about getting hungry, you should try to eat tons of green leafy vegetables or some winter squash. Low in carbs, high in fiber. Keeps you full, and low in carbs.

And this is just my advice, you don't need to follow it. You can do whatever you wanna do. :)