Couldn't donate blood - low iron

Options
2»

Replies

• puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor, they will be able to tell you how much (if any) iron you should be taking. I have anemia and my iron has been so low that my dcotor has me taking 3 iron pills a day.

Ive been like that a few times. I know when im low as i crave ice cubes to eat, which is a common sign.

My oh has been turned away a few times for low iron but the next time he tries he's fine. He takes a general multi vit every day.

Def have a chat with your doc.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

We learned in nutrition that Vitamin C helps with iron absorption, so that might also help if you are trying to increase your intake from your diet!

This too, great idea! Look for any foods that help absorb iron so that any of the iron that you are getting is being absorbed!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Ive been like that a few times. I know when im low as i crave ice cubes to eat, which is a common sign.

[/quote]

OMG I haven't found anyone else who does this. I eat ice every day all day!!
  • aerynholly
    aerynholly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so my iron count tends to run a little lower, and it's never failed me if I want to donate blood to eat bowls of Mini Wheats for a few days before.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Please your doctor and ask to have a blood panel done. You might also have low ferritin levels which are your iron reserves. Since it's happened more than once, it might be something worth following up on with your doctor.:flowerforyou:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem when I try to donate double reds. If I eat a spinach salad the day before (and it can always help if you heat one the day of), or have an omelette with some cooked spinach, my iron levels skyrocket.