3 moth old kittens with fleas.....help!

Options
uk_angeldust
uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
My cat had 3 beautiful kittens 3 weeks ago! they are so adorable! however few days ago we found out they have fleas, poor little loves. we have to bathe them with Dawn dishwasher whilst combing the fleas out. My eyes well up every time we have to do this. Anyone know any good non-toxic home remedies plz as they are too little for anti-flea treatments! ty in advance!

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Toss them, before you get too attached. Fumigate the house and get a goldfish.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Try Ivory dish soap instead instead of Dawn.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2101257_treat-fleas-kittens.html
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://www.entirelypets.com/advantageiiteal4cat.html

I got this from my vet as a preventatitve treatment for my new kitten. It's for kittens over the age of 9 weeks and under 5 lbs :smile:

** Sorry misread your question - Thought the kittens were 3 months, not 3 weeks! Well, my roommate in college got a kitten from a farm that was full of fleas... we honestly would just use the flea comb and submerge the fleas is hot water. The adult cat in out apartment at that time was treated with advantage.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The way you are doing it is really the only safe way to do it on kittens that age. Good Luck!
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    get proper flea treatment suitable for young kittens, you NEED to treat the mother as she is what most likely transmitted them. You also have to treat the environment
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My cat had 3 beautiful kittens 3 weeks ago! they are so adorable! however few days ago we found out they have fleas, poor little loves. we have to bathe them with Dawn dishwasher whilst combing the fleas out. My eyes well up every time we have to do this. Anyone know any good non-toxic home remedies plz as they are too little for anti-flea treatments! ty in advance!

There is a Frontline for kittens. My vet gave it to me for a 4-week-old and it was fine. (It might be Advantage. I can't remember.)

Get your cat fixed, please.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1. Get Advantage drops for their necks
    2. Go to the bet and get pyrethrin (sp) spray. It's the ONLY thing that works.
    3. Wash and dry their bedding on high heat.
    4. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!! Repeat! Throw the bag out immediately. Keep vacuuming.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    they have kitten flea wash. I think walmart sells it. When i got my cat he was only 1 month old and 2 lbs. he was covered in ticks and fleas.We washed everything. Wash everything they have touched, and then give them a few baths. Hope they go away! Good luck.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I work at a pet store (we don't sell animals) anyhoo, there are natural products that you can buy for fleas....I can't remember the brand name, but my best advice to to check out a local pet store and find out if they have any natural products or call your vets.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Is your cat an outdoor cat? If so, stop. Treat mama cat and get her spayed.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    change their bedding to cedar chips or a filled mat fleas dont like cedar smell
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Check with your vet, but I'm pretty sure you can use Advantage on the momcat, which will help with flea control on the kittens. I took in a mamacat with 3 week old kittens a few years ago, treated the mom, and just fleacombed the kittens, dipping the comb in soapy Dawn water, not bathing the kittens.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have always sworn by the Dawn, while they are that young. It works and it doesn't hurt them. May I ask-Why don't you want to continue using that?
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Treat everything in the house, if they are in the bedding or carpet you will not get rid of them by treating the kittens and their mother. Vacuum vacuum vacuum, get rid of the bag each time. Dry Borax powder in the carpet and use a dry brush to rub it in then let it sit for a little while and vacuum it up. Wash everything that can be washed and dry on high heat. And please, get them all fixed. There are so many cats, dogs and other "domesticated animals" being put down because there aren't enough homes for them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Feed mama cat a can of sardines. It will only last for a day or two and their fur will be oily, but it does work on adult cats. I'm thinking mama cat will pass some of that oil onto the babies through her milk. It is at least worth a try.

Also, please get mama cat fixed as soon as you can.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you treat the MOM and she stays inside then all the fleas from the kittens will jump on her and then die.

I had this happen 7 years ago when I took in a stray cat that was pregnant and that is what the vet told me and it worked plus all the fleas in my house died.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. My DD had a kitten die from fleas at not much older than that.

You can put the kitties bodies under water....the fleas will jump off rather than just drown...or they will move up to the head where its easier to remove them. Give it a try.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your tips and comments! very grateful! To those who asked, I will keep on treating them with Dawn baths and brushing them with flea combs (as this seems to have improved the situation.) and I will try to see the vet asap.

Again, thank you all!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

4. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!!! Repeat! Throw the bag out immediately. Keep vacuuming.

Vet said if you buy a cheap stinky flea collar, cut it up and put in the vac bag you don't have to throw it out.... vac bags aren't always cheap and you are only throwing them back out into your yard...