Exercising with chronic pain/lower back pain?

Options
Was wondering if anyone with chronic back pain or chronic pain in general has any tips on types of exercises that can be done. For me specifically it's chronic lower back pain (and I don't use pain meds so I'm fairly shredded). My weight loss has stopped and I've lost my motivation since I've been unable to move much. The severe, debilitating back pain comes and goes in spurts and right now I'm flared up and have been for about 3 months. For ppl who have chronic pain you know that moving on most days is easier said than done.

Any ideas or tricks you use? When I'm in a flare up I have difficulty laying down, walking, lifting things and bending.

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't know bad your back is but I have sciatica and I found water workouts help alot because there's no impact. If that's not an option for you, perhaps walking or yoga would be. Good luck!
  • WintersMoonlight
    Options
    Hi there.

I know all too well what chronic back pain can do to someone.
    I had it for over 2 years at my highest weight,It was completely gone up until recently.
    My quality of sleep has a lot to do with it,I've invested in a better mattress and box spring and it seems to have helped.
    I used to toss and turn a lot which aggravated my symptoms further.

As for exercise when I am having some pain I usually stick to doing the exercise bike and the elliptical.
    I like to use a very high incline on the treadmill which only makes my back feel worse.
    You can try to do lower impact exercises where you can be seated like the bike or you can even ride a bike if you'd like.

I also stretch for quite a bit before I attempt any sort of exercise.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Can't know what causes YOUR back problems...but my lower back problems finally got under control when I started stretching my hamstrings.
    Not sure why it took 20 years for me to find a Dr./physical therapist who recognized my problem, but they were right on.

I've never been what you'd call a flexible person. Never been able to touch my toes, no matter my weight. Now, after about 9 months of making stretching a regular part of my work out, my range of motion is incredibly improved and my lower back pain has all but gone.

See a Dr., better yet, a good physical therapist.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Years back I went to a chiropractor and he only did an xray vs an MRI which I feel now I needed the whole time to accurately diagnose. RIght now I'm not in the position to pay for an MRI so not sure what is going on with my back. I have sciatic issues as well but what i feel to be mild to moderate sciatica and I deal with that most times.

Water therapy actually does work great for me, I am able to swim with zero pain most times :) I have access to our local lake during the summer and have gone a few times this summer. Yoga did great for me too but then I got to the point during this last flare where I wasn't able to do any yoga. The basic stretches sound like a great start though :) I also have an inversion table but have been too sore to invert.

Great ideas! Thank you :)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Go for water workouts if possible. I would highly recommend an MD appt first before you start any exercise as the last thing you need is to do something to make it worse. Walking in water would be safe without an MD visit, but more than that may not be. Walking (not in water) would also be OK, but I know how hard that can be if your back is really sore. Stationary bike might work, but if there is any worsening of your pain, you would need to stop right away.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options

See a Dr., better yet, a good physical therapist.

WINNAR!!!!
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)