Elliptical = MADNESS!

Options
Good God, can I just say to those of you who are on the elliptical for over an hour multiple times a week, mad props. Mad props.

I normally do an hour on the treamill mixed and matched with other things, but we just got an elliptical, and tonight was the first time I've ever tried one.

Wow. Just wow. I barely made twenty-five minutes.

I don't know how you guys do it. You're my heroes. :noway:

Replies

• Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Good God, can I just say to those of you who are on the elliptical for over an hour multiple times a week, mad props. Mad props.

I normally do an hour on the treamill mixed and matched with other things, but we just got an elliptical, and tonight was the first time I've ever tried one.

Wow. Just wow. I barely made twenty-five minutes.

I don't know how you guys do it. You're my heroes. :noway:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Ya get used to it. It takes a week or two. I do sweat buckets, but I'm much better at the motion and the muscles are now trained. Anytime you do a new piece of equipment, it's hard. I got on the rowing machine and was out of breath in 10 minutes.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    we just bought one too.. I am not strong enough for that sucker
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I know I love it....45minutes, 4-5 times per week!!! You'll get the hang of it soon, plan to sweat a lot!!! I keep a towel close by to wipe my forehead so that I can see! Hahaha!!!
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    I love the elipticle i burn so many more calories on that!!! i burn more in 20 mins on that than i do in hour on the treadmill!!! so if you think about that its worth it.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do love the elliptical, but you do have to start on lower settings and work your way up. I am currenly able to do 50 minutes (45 min + cool down) on the random setting (which includes hills, etc), level 17. I try to go at least 3 days a week.

Trust me, a few months ago, I would have barely been able to go to level 5!! And now, even level 17 is getting easier! As you lose weight and get stronger, the things you're capable of will shock you!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    You seem pretty young from your photo... wait until you get a little older and your cartilage starts to disappear. For those of us with bad knees it's a gift from above and about the only cardio machine (besides the stationary bike) in the gym that gets your HR up there without the high joint impact of a treadmill. And it's great for cycling training, too.

An iPod makes the time fly by. I vary my tempo according to the songs on my workout playlist. I predict you'll become an elliptical convert.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't have to wait; I've got fibro, so I can already appreciate it. :tongue:

And yes, the iPod is really a lifesaver on any equipment isn't it? *hugs iPod*
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You kicked my butt! I only lasted 15 minutes when I started 2 months ago! I'm up to 30 and it's all I can handle. I'm being sneaky and waiting for the inevitable plateau before I up my minutes.
  • ericahay2008
    ericahay2008 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    can you tell me which one is good im going to buy one today or wat should i look for like programs and stuff thanks
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Spend as much as you can afford. It sounds like everyone who went cheap regrets it. We bought a mid price one a year ago and we already wish we could upgrade, although it works fine. We just wish we had more features.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I started at 20 minutes and felt like I was going to die!!! And my calves hurt for a week. I made my way up to 30 minutes and now I am at 40 minutes. It just takes time for your body to adjust. I also varies the incline and resistance and of course I need music and TV to distract me. Makes the times fly.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Intervals are great calorie busters on the eliptical. I burn almost 600 calories doing intervals for 50 minutes.

Work your way up. It takes time. I also find that there are days where I really can master the eliptical and days where it's harder.

Once you get up to doing 30 minutes and if your machine has one, try the cross-country course. It will kick your @$$!
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just started a week ago! Cheaper machine - manual settings. My plan - stay one setting 1 (there are 8) for 2 weeks and then increase a level. First couple of days, I thought my timer was broken cuz it said I only did 15 minutes and I thought I was going die! I burnt a 30 minute CD with some cool tunes and changed my display so it stays on calories burnt and just go until the music stops. Works for me! :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Boredom is a huge issue for me on any of those cardio machines. How do you stay interested for 50 minutes or an hour? I'm not tired after 20-25 minutes but I go insane with boredom! I work out at the gym, which has TVs, but even that's not enough.

I use the interval setting and keep track of the heart rate.

In addition to the 20 or so minutes, I do weights for about 30 minutes, abs for about 10-15 mins and stretching for about 10-15 mins.

Okay, should I do more cardio (god help my brain!) or is what I do good enough?
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Boy do I know what you mean!! I started with 10 minutes- I thought I would die. I'm happy to report this morning I did a FULL HOUR on that thing!! Woo Hoo!! BE determined and you'll do it as long as you want- eventually. Take some time to build up to it!!
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Boredom is a huge issue for me on any of those cardio machines. How do you stay interested for 50 minutes or an hour? I'm not tired after 20-25 minutes but I go insane with boredom! I work out at the gym, which has TVs, but even that's not enough.

I use the interval setting and keep track of the heart rate.

In addition to the 20 or so minutes, I do weights for about 30 minutes, abs for about 10-15 mins and stretching for about 10-15 mins.

Okay, should I do more cardio (god help my brain!) or is what I do good enough?

I'll be honest... again... on the treadmill, if anyone dares to get on next to me, I have a little game I play (in my head). the conversation goes, "oh, you wanna race, huh?" and I "race" that runner next to me. It's fun, and sometimes if that person ups their speed, I'll do the same! It's hilarious (to me, I guess). I end up getting a great workout and the other person never has to know they LOST to little ole ME!!!
    Angela :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    ROFL! That's too funny. I suspect that people do that with me, though, as I count EVERY minute I'm not that thing. :noway:

Question remains: is what I do okay or do I HAVE to do more cardio.... :sad:
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    ROFL! That's too funny. I suspect that people do that with me, though, as I count EVERY minute I'm not that thing. :noway:

Question remains: is what I do okay or do I HAVE to do more cardio.... :sad:

Depends on your goal....if you want weight loss or management and you are currently happy with your progress then you are probably doing okay. If you want heart health then you probably need to up the time on the cardio stuff by another 20 minutes give or take -- IMHO.

:flowerforyou:
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    The eliptical is WONDERFUl. you need to start off on a low level until your used to it.
    I like level 5 and i do it for 45 mins. 550 calories burned. ITS LOVELY!