not meeting calorie goal?

Options
Hi,
I think I am under my calorie goal each day and the scale isn't moving. But I feel like the less I eat the faster it will come off but it isn't. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks,
Amy Lynn

Replies

• LLEB92
    LLEB92 Posts: 21
    Options
    I ate 1200 cals a day for a week and i lost two pounds but i felt ill and tired doing it so I went back to eating 1450 cals and I feel better but the weight isn't shifting so who knows what is going on
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what's going on... It could be too much sodium, it could be underestimating your portions or overestimating your exercise...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    VERY good question and it is the source of much debate on the forums!

Your calorie goals at MFP already have a built-in deficit. If you do not meet your goals you're eating a deficit to an already built in deficit.

Here's my example.

I'm 1,200 to lose 1lb/week
    or 1400 to lose .5/week
    1600 to maintain

1200 (goal)
    - 500 calories burned (class at my gym)
    700 calories left to fuel my healthy and active body--not nearly enough!

So I spread those 'extra' 500 calories around during the day with healthy whole foods (yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc.)

At day's end I'm completing my diary and back to the 1200 goal, not in the red. Not below. Below is a deficit to a deficit. My goal is to lose the weight and keep it off long term. I also want to fuel the engine and keep my metabolism functioning at a healthy rate. I'm not hungry on the program and I eat every few hours. I don't want to do any long term damage to my internal organs or metabolism.

Reach your goals, don't fall below them! Your body will only hold on to the extra weight! Or you'll lose quick and gain it all back and then some.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I ate 1200 cals a day for a week and i lost two pounds but i felt ill and tired doing it so I went back to eating 1450 cals and I feel better but the weight isn't shifting so who knows what is going on

What are your settings to lose 1lb/week? 1250 or 1450? Were you only taking in 1200 even on days you worked out?

On days I work out I'm actually taking in around 1700 but NET 1200 (my settings to lose 1lb/week).
  • krisj813
    Options
    If you don't meet your calorie goal it can actually slow down your metabolism. If you are below try adding some snacks like a greek yogurt, nuts or something healthy like that. you want to make sure you are getting enough nutrition. If you are netting under 1200 calories on a regular basis iit could cause a multitude of problems- INCLUDING HEART ATTACKS.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what's going on... It could be too much sodium, it could be underestimating your portions or overestimating your exercise...

She's under her goals that MFP set for her. So she's in the red. That's what I understood from her original post. Often when folks eat a deficit to the already built in deficit the body will not let go of any extra weight.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    If you don't meet your calorie goal it can actually slow down your metabolism. If you are below try adding some snacks like a greek yogurt, nuts or something healthy like that. you want to make sure you are getting enough nutrition. If you are netting under 1200 calories on a regular basis iit could cause a multitude of problems- INCLUDING HEART ATTACKS.

Here's my go to reference point: Why 1200? http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-1200-Calories-Day-Important-When-Dieting-13080864
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    Hey! I try to make sure I never fall under 1,200.
    If you go under that it will take forever to loose the weight. It comes off much slower but it will eventually come off. Some people call it starvation mode. Really what that means is your metabolism slows because it's getting less.
    The only time I don't reach it is when it adds more calories for the exercise I did. :-)
    Don't give up!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    She's under her goals that MFP set for her. So she's in the red. That's what I understood from her original post. Often when folks eat a deficit to the already built in deficit the body will not let go of any extra weight.
    That's what I thought too... I might have more info/ideas if you open your diary so we can see how much you're eatting vs. how much you're supposed. And I'm a bit confused cause you said you think you're under?
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about wanting to lose weight:

1. Start by educating yourself. If you are new, try starting here to learn more about the difference between your BMR and TDEE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Find where you need to be, usually 20% under your TDEE will give you weight loss. If you undercut that amount you are not adequately fueling your body, and will train your body to require less, which can slow your metabolism.

2. Understand that food is fuel. Your body needs it. Period.

3. Track more than weight. Consider other goals, not based on the scale. Measurements, endurance, etc.

4. Be patient. Give your body time (at least 4 weeks) to respond to changes.

(Edited to add: do you want to lose fast - or keep it off permanently? I have got stuck in the rut of losing fast too many times in the past - and AM DONE yo-yoing. This time, I am doing it the right way by figuring out what my body needs (based on science! and numbers!) rather than just eating a very low calorie diet, low carb diet, or other short term fix. I am ready for a long term healthy lifestyle, that gives results that last.)
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think everyone pretty much agrees you might need to add more calories. Try to stick closer to your daily goal rather than going too far under. And eat back at least most of the calories you burn with exercise. See how you feel in a couple weeks.

:-)
  • aimeelynnn
    aimeelynnn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses it all makes sense, I am going to figure out how to open my food diary. I haven't used the boards here before but I can tell all the support will help me stay on track. Thank you so much,
    Amy
  • aimeelynnn
    Options
    This is my diary from yesterday:
    FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
    Breakfast
    Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried, 1 slice cooked 42 0g 3g 3g 9mg 192mg 0g 0g
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 1 large 101 1g 7g 7g 215mg 171mg 1g 0g
    Milk - Whole, 3.25% milkfat, 1 cup 146 11g 8g 8g 24mg 98mg 13g 0g
    Oceanspray - 100% Juice - White Grapefruit (No Sugar Added), 8 fl oz 90 21g 0g 2g 0mg 35mg 17g 0g
    Lunch
    Shoprite New England - Chicken Salad , 2 oz 160 6g 4g 9g 25mg 32mg 0g 0g
    Almonds - Raw Almonds , 20 Almonds 140 3g 9g 12g 0mg 0mg 2g 2g
    Dinner
    Cream - Heavy whipping (whipped), 0.25 cup, whipped 104 1g 11g 1g 41mg 11mg 0g 0g
    General Mills - Lucky Charms Cereal, 0 g 0 0g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
    TOTAL: 783 43g 42g 42g 314mg 539mg 33g 2g
    EXERCISES Calories Minutes Sets Reps Weight
    Cardiovascular
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog 83 16
    TOTALS: 83 16 0 0 0
  • ChristyRunStarr
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses it all makes sense, I am going to figure out how to open my food diary. I haven't used the boards here before but I can tell all the support will help me stay on track. Thank you so much,
    Amy

Go to settings, then diary settings
  • ChristyRunStarr
    Options
    Breakfast
    Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried, 1 slice cooked 42 0g 3g 3g 9mg 192mg 0g 0g
    Oceanspray - 100% Juice - White Grapefruit (No Sugar Added), 8 fl oz 90 21g 0g 2g 0mg 35mg 17g 0g
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Cream - Heavy whipping (whipped), 0.25 cup, whipped 104 1g 11g 1g 41mg 11mg 0g 0g
    Cardiovascular

So you only took in 783 calories but burned 83 of them while walking the dog? Yes, you NEED more calories per day
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Cardiovascular

So, you only net 700 calories yesterday?
  • aimeelynnn
    Options
    Yes I netted 783
  • Expose1
    Expose1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm having this SAME problem! I feel like i'm force feeding myself.
  • aimeelynnn
    Options
    Ok I opened the settings on my diary---wow that will keep me on track---I do not want to eat Dairy Queen and have it show on my diary! My Lucky Charms are bad enough even a small bowl!
  • aimeelynnn
    Options
    I am going to have more nutritious small snacks through out the day and more water, I didn't drink one glass of water yesterday or this morning and it is about 103 in California right now.