Working out with sore muscles?

Options
Sakye
Sakye Posts: 31 Member
Hi all!
I had a pretty intense work out two days ago. Yesterday I felt a little bit of soreness, but it was bearable, and today my legs hurt so bad that getting up of my chair feels like a workout. My upper body and abs aren't that painful though. Should I do my usual workout even though it hurts? I read so much contradictory informations about that and I'm kind of confuse right now.

Thank you very much!

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    workout if sore...not if in pain

I hope you know the difference.

I am assuming that you are sore because you are new to working out (after time off), or new to the type of workout you did?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The 2nd day is always worse for me. I usually work out anyway - it helps get rid of the soreness. Take something like ibuprofen, and ease into the workout!
  • Army_Love89
    Options
    I've never had really bad soreness after working out but I stretch very well before & after, drink plenty of water & coffee will help as well..at least that's what I read. Lol don't quote me on it though. :) Hope you feel better! Oh & working out while sore will help get rid of the soreness quicker then not moving at all. :)
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    If it's just sore muscles and not pain (as in injury, ouch!!), I find that working out usually helps it. Make sure you warm up first and cool down at the end - mild stretching. Good luck!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb, if you work out really hard or know you are going to be sore after a workout, take a long slow walk. Your muscle need circulation to get out lactic acid and rebuild. I don't ever take a day completely off if I am sore, I walk until I feel pretty loose.
  • Sakye
    Options
    workout if sore...not if in pain

I hope you know the difference.

I am assuming that you are sore because you are new to working out (after time off), or new to the type of workout you did?

I took off from this class (bodypump) for 3 weeks or so, but I was still working out at the gym. For the pain, I don't think I'm injured, only really sore lol. I stretched correctly after and walked for 15 mins (I just walked back home) and did a warm-up before the class to make sure it wouldn't happen but apparantly it wasn't enough.
  • Sakye
    Options
    Anyway, thank you all for your answers. I'll go work out but I won't push myself too hard and I'll take a long walk after... and probably a hot bath as well.
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    Another old times remedy is a nice long warm shower. And of course some dynamic stretching (but take it slow).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    DOMS (Delay Onset Muscle Soreness) usually take 1-2 days to kick in, so you're right on schedule!

If it was me, I'd workout.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    One way to help combat this in the future is to take an ice bath afterwards. I fill up my tub about halfway with water and get a couple of the large bags of ice from the gas station on my way home and dump them in and then sit in it for about 20 minutes after a hard workout. It greatly reduces the amount of soreness I experience, maybe it will work for you in the future.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    good choice going to work out! it's quite normal to be sore after a really hard workout. Like others have mentioned, get a really good strech, and cool down after your workouts to help keep the soreness to a minimum. You'll feel better after your work out today :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for muscle soreness: cardio is fine, lifting is not. The reason for the latter is that form is critical to lifting well and without injury, and with sore muscles, we tend to try to find ways to cheat the weight.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    I always workout sore from the previous workout. So, I guess it's ok.. Just don't hit the same muscle group 2 days in a row.. ;)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Some of my best workouts are when I'm totally sore from a previous one.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Put some Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) in your bath. It works wonders for sore muscles
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for muscle soreness: cardio is fine, lifting is not. The reason for the latter is that form is critical to lifting well and without injury, and with sore muscles, we tend to try to find ways to cheat the weight.
    I agree.
  • Sakye
    Options
    I went work out after all. I eased it a little bit the lifting and did more cardio and I feel much more better today. Soreness is almost gone, I'll be good for tomorrow's workout :)
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Put some Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) in your bath. It works wonders for sore muscles

^^^This -- the magnesium actually acts to pull the lactic acid out of your muscles, so less pain.

Also -- be sure to get at least a little cardio to get the circulation going in the muscles. They'll be less sore as they warm up.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For me I found that working out while sore usually made my muscles feel a bit better after I got warmed-up. Make sure you stretch too!
  • Sakye
    Options
    ^^^This -- the magnesium actually acts to pull the lactic acid out of your muscles, so less pain.

Also -- be sure to get at least a little cardio to get the circulation going in the muscles. They'll be less sore as they warm up.

I tried your cardio tip today and I can already say that I feel a difference. I feel stretched and satisfied haha.
    For me I found that working out while sore usually made my muscles feel a bit better after I got warmed-up. Make sure you stretch too!

I will, thanks! :)