Can't believe I'm asking this but I am

Options
wrinju
wrinju Posts: 93 Member
Soooo When you "burn" fat. Where does it go? Do you pooh it out? Pee it out? Asking for a friend.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    All fuel is converted to energy. Fat is a fuel. So it produces energy and heat.
  • EricaCarmack
    Options
    your body uses it
    energy and whatnot
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I love it. Such a great question!

"To understand the answer, it helps to remember that fat is basically stored energy. Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs."

I can't take credit for that answer. I was curious, so I googled it. I do also think it comes out in your poo. :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    :huh: this is the second time I've seen this asked..

I wish we could just pee out fat.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go anywhere. Fat cells expand when people consume more energy than they can burn. During weight loss, the cells shrink.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    think of it as a pot of boiling water....when the water heats up and starts bubbling it starts to evaporate! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    " These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs."

I can't take credit for that answer. I was curious, so I googled it. I do also think it comes out in your poo. :)

Fat is stored if not used by the body immediately for energy. The waste is water and CO2. Like the definition stated.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    It's a great question, and if you're not into science then it really could be a mystery!

But yep, it's basically converted to heat. It's more complicated than that, but it's the simple answer ... and I wouldn't do justice in describing the complete answer (using fat to create ready-to-burn energy is one aspect of the complete answer).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    E=MC^2

Energy is equal to mass at the speed of light(squared). Basically this states that energy and mass are equivalent items in different form. Burning fat is literally burning it, as in turning your fat into energy for motion and running your body's internal functions. In the end it all gets converted to heat.
  • wrinju
    Options
    Hahaha, I love it. Such a great question!

"To understand the answer, it helps to remember that fat is basically stored energy. Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs."

Thanks!!
  • wrinju
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

I appreciate it!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Soooo When you "burn" fat. Where does it go? Do you pooh it out? Pee it out? Asking for a friend.

This is actually a much better question than that Burger King question earlier. Yeah, like the others said, it's converted into energy.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ... it helps to remember that fat is basically stored energy.

Wow - I must be a superhero with all the 'energy' I've got stored up!