Natural Hypothyroid Suggestions

Options
I am dealing with what I think is Hypothyroidism. Don't judge - but I can't go to the doc. I have no money for that.

I am looking for natural ways to deal with it. I have never had a problem with it until this year. I cannot get my weight to move on the scale no matter what I eat or don't eat and no matter what I do with workouts. I am tired all the time and my body wants to sleep at least 10 hours per night. I am ALWAYS cold and it's almost 100 degrees outside.

Are there any ways to attack this naturally?

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You could research foods that help support thyroid function, but I am not recommending this. I went undiagnosed for a long time and my levels were really low. The doctors were surprised I was not in a coma. I really think you should put your health first and save some money for a consultation and an initial lab test. I bet you could find a clinic near you that has a sliding fee scale. Good luck!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    From your profile...."I am a mom of 3 little girls. I am a newlywed. And, I work 4 jobs. To say I am a busy person is an understatement." Are you sure its hypothyroidism? I suffer from hypothyroidism and take 300 mcg of synthroid a day.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i pay like 10 bucks for 90 days worth of synthroid at wally world
  • RobynSnow
    Options
    I tried a lot of the "natural" fixes, the right diets, the motivation for my thyroid also. None of them worked very well if at all.
    I am on medication for mine now and it is still a struggle. I wish you luck with yours, but please try to get to a doctor if you
    can soon, the thyroid is nothing to mess with, it has control over a lot of functions in your body. Try googling the womans day
    thyroid diet, that was one that I did for a while and it was easy and seemed to work for a bit.

Good Luck.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I've had this condition for the last 21 years and know of no way to replace your thyroid stimulating hormone without meds. It costs me about $27.00 every 100 days. I don't think that is too expensive. If you have been diagnosed you should be able to get the prescription. I wish you well. There is NO WAY that I will willing go back to without. BTW I don't have good Rx insurance.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Um, I'd like to know that too. But the only way to be sure is to see a doctor. I am on levothyroxine fo rmy hypothyroidism, and the prescription is very inexpensive. Also, a lot of medical centers and organizations are willing to work out a billing situation with people who don't have the money. My hubby works for one!

what are your symptoms?
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i pay like 10 bucks for 90 days worth of synthroid at wally world
    ^^This^^. If you can get the lab work to find out if its truly hypothyroidism....the meds aren't expensive.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I would *really* try to find a low cost doc to check it out-- look for health fairs in your area, because they often do screenings there for little to no cost.

I take selenium for my thyroid, but that's <I>as directed by my doctor</I>. I really wouldn't recommend going this alone.
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird but they say there are certian veggies you can NOT have raw when you have thyroid issues..like spinach, cabbage....because it messes with thyroid function and then avocados are suppose to help with it. Check out naturalnews.com..great site! I don't blame you for trying to go natural. I would try to do the same if it were me, but do whatever you think it best for your self!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    The pills are inexpensive and they could save your life. There are a lot of clinics that have flat fees per visit and are reasonably priced if you don't have insurance.
  • laurielegg
    Options
    If you live on city water services then you likely have water treated with chlorine. (Even some wells are treated with chlorine). Chlorine inhibits the thyroid from working properly. You may consider switching to distilled drinking water. Also, your body requires iodine which can be found in iodized salt. I have an issue with my thyroid and actually needed to increase medicine because I switched from iodized table salt to sea salt which does not have any additives. You can also visit the health store and find supplements in the form of kelp and seaweed. However, this can be pricey (that is why I am on the Levothyroxin script). You may want to check your local hospital lab and see if they offer any special prices for lab fairs. These do not require a prescription from a doctor and they will mail the results directly to your home. I paid $10 for mine in Florida. If your lab results are out of range then you would need to see a doctor for a prescription. I get the generic Levothyroxin for $10 for a 90 day supply. Sometimes doctors will allow you to haggle the cost of a visit when yodon't have insurance but this has to be done prior to the appointment. Most doctors do not receive the full payment from insurance companies that they bill for. They usually get about $50.
  • MadgieDO
    MadgieDO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your health struggles. Something that few people know is that many family docs/nurse practitioners are willing to work with you if you don't have health insurance. All you need is 1 lab test (the TSH) and that can tell you if it's your thyroid that's acting up. While I'm not sure how much that lab work costs in your area, I'm sure it's waaay less than a hospital visit costs which is what can happen when you go into a hypothyroid coma (which does happen and is terrifying). Many docs are very reasonable and will let you do a payment plan/offer reduced-cost visits or can help you qualify for insurance.

While there are a lot of things that claim to provide "natural thyroid support" etc, most of them are quack offerings. Now, I am a huge proponent of alternative medicine and use a lot of it in my own life and practice. But, looking at the research really most of that stuff is unsubstantiated. Levothyroxine (the generic of synthroid) is literally like 10 bucks for a 3 month supply and the doctors visit is totally worth it.

How I know this: I'm a medical student and have had hypothyroidism for 8 years.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who has hypothyroidism and she is a holistic all the way type of person! however, she has told me that there is no treatment that does not utilize a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone. although dr. visits are expensive, i know that my levothyroxin (typical rx for hypo) is a very cheap drug, $4/month, so realistically you'd only have to see the dr enough times to get the meds situated. absolutely consider this, you will be amazed at how much better, and more vital you feel when this is taken care of. take it from someone who knows it. the otc, non fda approved stuff is DANGEROUS! for yr own sake, don't do it ! <3<3 n-
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You could research foods that help support thyroid function, but I am not recommending this. I went undiagnosed for a long time and my levels were really low. The doctors were surprised I was not in a coma. I really think you should put your health first and save some money for a consultation and an initial lab test. I bet you could find a clinic near you that has a sliding fee scale. Good luck!

This. There are usually free clinics or very low cost clinics that can evaluate for this easily. Also, if you made an appt at a clinic, you can usually set up a payment schedule that is reasonable. If this is hypothyroidism, the bill later to take care of your health issues will make a $300-400 visit and lab test look like chump change.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you're not completely sure that it's your thyroid, leave it be. Please. There are ways to mess with thyroid levels through supplements but without constant monitoring through bloodwork you can do serious damage.

You can do this safely:

Avoid any and all soy products. Check salad dressing for soy bean oil. No soy.

Use your muscles. Resistance training, light weights, heavy weights...doesn't matter. Just use them.

Be cautious with vitamins. Zinc, magnesium, potassium...it's so easy to throw your levels off with too much of these and a few others.

Let food be thy medicine. Pay insanely close attention to how you feel when you eat certain foods. You crash or get sluggish, drop it from your diet.

Rest. I know this is easier said than done. Try to treat yourself with kindness.
  • nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    IF you are hypothyroid, the only way to fix it is RX meds.

If you want to try other avenues first, I suggest vitamin D, vitamin B-12, and iron -- as separate supplements -- every day, along with eliminating all sugar and white carbs such as white bread, rice, pasta, packaged junk food, etc. Try to make your diet as natural as possible and include as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible.

30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week. Walking is fine, as long as you are moving with a purpose and breaking a sweat.

7-8 hours of sleep per night. Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day.

Limit your coffee. No soda or sweet tea.

If I have time to do it, YOU have time to do it. (I work two jobs, help my husband run his business, and I'm raising 2 teenagers...)

If you follow this and you still feel crappy in two weeks, you need to see a doctor.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a doctor or nutritionist. I've just lived in a body with a dead thyroid for more than half my life.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroid disease since age 19. Mine came on with EXTREME fatigue and severe joint pain even in walking.

Medically, hyporthyroid disease is easy to treat but is nothing to ignore. It can can cause serious, serious health problems if left untreated. As someone said earlier, are you sure you have it? It goes way beyond just "not losing weight". If you are poor like me, saving money by cutting back on a few things won't take too much if you can find a cheaper alternative like a clinic to go to to get a blood test. It is one of the cheapest medications you can buy if you need it. You are jeopardizing your health if you seriously have symptoms but ignore them.

Here is a link to an interesting website all about the thyroid: http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/hypothyroidism-too-little-thyroid-hormone

Here are some of the symptoms:
    Common Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
    Below are major symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.

Fatigue
    Weakness
    Weight gain or difficulty losing weight (despite reduced food intake)
    Coarse, dry hair and dry skin
    Hair loss
    Sensitivity to cold
    Muscle cramps and aches
    Constipation
    Depression
    Irritability
    Memory loss
    Abnormal menstrual cycles
    Decreased libido
    Slowed speech (severe cases)
    Jaundice (severe cases)
    Increase in tongue size (severe cases)

You don't have to encounter every one of these symptoms to be diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Every patient's experience with the disorder is different. While you may notice that your skin and hair have become dry and rough, another patient may be plagued more by fatigue and depression.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If your state allows direct lab testing, where you can order the test yourself without an MD's order, check out your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). It rises as your thyroid is working harder to crank out the thyroid hormone your body needs. I have used Direct Labs here in CT with good results, and it's not all that expensive.

Also, should you prove to need thyroid replacement therapy, generic synthroid is inexpensive at places like Walmart. I strongly suggest figuring out if it's really your thyroid giving you trouble. Some hypothyroid symptoms are non-specific and can resemble other things.
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Symptoms include -

Fatigue
    Used to have very messed up periods but had a hysterectomy in March to deal with that
    Fatigue
    Fatigue
    Weight issues
    Fatigue

I know my life seems busy. And, I agree, it is very busy. However, I have always done well at this pace and it just seems to have changed in the last year. I went to help with yardwork the other day and just had to go inside. I couldn't hang. That is so not me!!