Leg cramps / charlie horses...

Options
Okay so every so often, never closer than 3/4 months apart, I'll wake up with a charlie horse.

I know this is caused by a deficeintcy (sp?) but since it happens so infrequently i figure it's a poor daily diet thing / side effect rather than a constantly poor diet thing / side effect.

my question is: how do you guys get past the soreness of it. I made it a point to move my leg around (thru the pain) after i got it, but there's always "residual" soreness thru the day & wondered if there were any good home remedies...

**lil side note: the first thing i thought about as i awoke to the sharp pain was, "crap!!, is it leg day?!" lol, lucky it was NOT...

Replies

• nixerific
    nixerific Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just had one the other night. It was probably the worst thing ever. lol Where is your Charlie horse? I get mine in my calves and they're brutal. I've done some reading and I think I get mine from lack of carbs (yours could be different). Either way, ice, ibuprofen, heating pad, and massage the affected area up and down, not across (that last bit may be bro science, but I follow it anyway). Rest if you need to, but I try to power through and do my workouts anyway.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just had one the other night. It was probably the worst thing ever. lol Where is your Charlie horse? I get mine in my calves and they're brutal. I've done some reading and I think I get mine from lack of carbs (yours could be different). Either way, ice, ibuprofen, heating pad, and massage the affected area up and down, not across (that last bit may be bro science, but I follow it anyway). Rest if you need to, but I try to power through and do my workouts anyway.

i don't think mine are from lack of carbs lol ... i get at least 25% carbs everyday, but usually higher. i always heard they were from lack of potassium - and mine are in my calves as well.

If i force myself to twist my ankle as the pain lessens, it's not so bad & usually my hubs will wake up & rub it for me - but if i could aliviate the soreness all together that'd be great!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting them in my calves after taking a calcium supplement when electrolyte supplements and potassium didn't help. Except for trial and error no one but a doctor doing tests could tell you exactly what the mineral/electrolyte imbalance is. Anyway I am over 50 so I have other contributing issues and the calcium worked for my leg cramps.

I now get charlie horse cramps in my abs! Usually after a long workout. I take an electrolyte mix before and after (along with my other mineral supplements for my age) and it helps, but I go through this weird cramping in my fingers for about 20-30 minutes after eating (usually after working out hard). I think it is because my body fat is low and it has to "adjust" along with I'm a female over 50 and have THE BIG M. LOL Ah life is hard sometimes.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I now get charlie horse cramps in my abs! Usually after a long workout. I take an electrolyte mix before and after (along with my other mineral supplements for my age) and it helps, but I go through this weird cramping in my fingers for about 20-30 minutes after eating (usually after working out hard). I think it is because my body fat is low and it has to "adjust" along with I'm a female over 50 and have THE BIG M. LOL Ah life is hard sometimes.

O my soul ! i don't think I could take them in my abs!!! Yikes!...it's so odd tho, you'd think one would get them after workouts, instead of in the middle of the night / early am after a cardio day LOL...

oh well.