Elf on a Shelf?

Options
butterflylover527
butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
Yeah, I know, it's not even September yet. But I've been going Pintrest crazy and looking at Christmas stuff and I keep seeing Elf on a Shelf.

What is it? LOL!

Replies

• crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know, it's not even September yet. But I've been going Pintrest crazy and looking at Christmas stuff and I keep seeing Elf on a Shelf.

What is it? LOL!

A toy elf that you put somewhere, and your kids have to find it....if they don't touch it, the elf will "magically" move to a different part of the house, and the kids have to find it. Every night the elf flies back to the North Pole and lets Santa know if they have been good or not.......things I never knew before kids for $100 Alex.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    LOL I love it! Thanks!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It also comes with a storybook too... I have been going Pinterest crazy as well and cannot wait until my little one is old enough... I wish they would go on sale during the non-christmas season... kinda like christmas trees.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is the reason I'm singing Xmas songs in August!
  • JosianneC
    JosianneC Posts: 141 Member
    Options

me too!
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    Not sure if the video is still up but on You Tube there was a video of a kid who did something bad to his sister in the same room the elf was in and one of the parrents pointed out that the elf saw the boy do it.

The kid drops to his knees and begs and pleads with the elf to not tell Santa what he did.. LOL
  • butterflylover527
    Options

I've been ready for Christmas since July hahahha
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I've been ready for Christmas since July hahahha

Pshaw!!! I have been trying to get my spouse to budget in money for a new Christmas tree since March.... Now, it doesn't much matter as they are not as cheap now as they were in March.... So I think I will just suffer one more Christmas with my raggedy Christmas tree and then pounce on one right after Christmas.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Not sure if the video is still up but on You Tube there was a video of a kid who did something bad to his sister in the same room the elf was in and one of the parrents pointed out that the elf saw the boy do it.

The kid drops to his knees and begs and pleads with the elf to not tell Santa what he did.. LOL

:laugh: I have to look that up.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

me too!

And me! My husband htinks I'm nuts but I am all excited for Christmas already! We don't have kids yet but I want to get the elf anyway!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    It's this creepy little elf that comes into you house and you have to re-arrange **** so you're kids thing its the elf. I opted to go with the Perv on the Curb books because they teach the kids about the dangers of curbs.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    it's fecking creepy. that's what it is.
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Our "elf" cleaned up my daughter's playroom one day last year and baked cookies another day. I've heard of people turning their elves into little hellions, making messes and just creating chaos in their house. Obviously, those people have more time than I do to clean up self-inflicted messes. Our elf only does nice or helpful things. Good role model, and all. :wink:

Edited to say: I hate the elf and think he's a creeper. My husband bought the dumb thing because it was a tradition in his house when he was growing up. I had no idea the little jerk had been around for that long, but apparently this nonsense of scaring children into good behavior is ages old. And yes, it works!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people turning their elves into little hellions, making messes and just creating chaos in their house.

this would be why my kids won't let me have one.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I haven't even told my almost 3 yr old who/what Santa is supposed to be yet. I should explain some creepy elf to her too? IDK about this one.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    There are people who have way too much time on their hands (and/or way too much energy and creativity, bless their hearts!) with the Elf on the Shelf. Please note that I don't actually want to punch anyone in the throat, but I read this blog post last year about it and thought it was pretty funny (especially about how the blogger herself was lazy about it and couldn't even do the minimal effort right):

http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/2011/12/over-achieving-elf-on-shelf-mommies.html

If going all out with the elf floats your boat, more power to you, and your kids are probably going to have lots of great memories about it. As for me, my son is way too young to care, and even when he's old enough, I'll just pretend to call Santa (aka one of my brothers or brothers-in-law). The elf is way too much work.

We did have a similar-looking elf when we were kids that was from when my mom was a kid (in the 50s), but he was just some Christmas elf that we all found kind of creepy - something about the sideways glance creeped me out. My parents never did anything fun with him, just put him out with all the other Christmas decorations.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My 12 yr old is still pissed about Santa.:angry:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

When did you break the news? LOL
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

What do you mean she's still pissed about Santa? What did Santa do to her?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

When did you break the news? LOL

His rotten sister told him 2 yrs ago.
    He has not let me forget.
    You mean I could have stayed up later...blah blah blah