Sweet Potato

Options
I have never made sweet potatoes before. I am not sure if I should roast them or boil them...Any suggestions?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    do with them anything you would do with a white potato...they just taste better and are better for you...
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just pierce them with a fork, microwave on medium power for 8-10 minutes, turning it over halfway. Sprinkle liberally with salt and enjoy!
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bake them like fries, bake them like a regular potato, mash them, boil them, roast them and eat them! Add salt, sugar, cinnamon, etc.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I hate them, I hate them buttered, sugared and covered in marshmallow. I want to like them but I don't. I was at a baby shower recently and had to do a blind taste test of baby foods and knew immediately which one was sweet potato becaue it was so terrible.

The only tolerable form I've found is Alexia Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    do with them anything you would do with a white potato...they just taste better and are better for you...
    Why are they better for you ? never eaten one before.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options

They are to Vitamin A what bananas are to potassium.
  • ReschkeCM
    Options
    You can do about anything with them that you'd do with a normal potato. Just keep in mind that they are quite a bit sweeter (hence the name). I enjoy them mashed or sliced thin and fried in a pan like little chips. Enjoy!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I love 'em baked, had them as fries at outback also, its good any way you eat it.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    They are pretty good raw. On a normal day I will boil them and make mashed sweet potato and on cheat days I will log them skin on and make fried sweet potato logs with honey mustard dip. :-)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Lower on the glycemic index and more micronutrients.
  • LCoombs45
    Options
    Preheat oven at 355 degrees, poke some holes in it (I put a tiny bit of butter on the skin because I eat that part, some people don't), and bake for about 50 minutes.

I do put some butter and brown sugar on the inside if I am having a bad sweet craving or I'm falling super short of my calorie goal, but I can also eat them plain.

They are so yummy!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bake them like fries, bake them like a regular potato, mash them, boil them, roast them and eat them! Add salt, sugar, cinnamon, etc.

Ok - not getting at you - but in general - what is peoples obsession with cinnamon on everything??
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I personally like to use my mandolin to slice them very thin and then pan fry them in a little(!) olive oil with Mediterranean seasonings. Yum!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Here is how I cook mine:

5EDF083A-936D-4670-AA5F-4ADEFA70A836-13509-00000C9F4B51545E.jpg

Slice them, toss with olive oil, salt and chili powder. Bake in oven on 425 for about 30 minutes or until done to your liking.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Ok - not getting at you - but in general - what is peoples obsession with cinnamon on everything??

Cinnamon is a super food and super yummy!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Try white sweet potatos too, I like them better than the orange ones!
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ermahgerd.jpg
  • ktlynn4queen
    ktlynn4queen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here is how I cook mine:

5EDF083A-936D-4670-AA5F-4ADEFA70A836-13509-00000C9F4B51545E.jpg

Slice them, toss with olive oil, salt and chili powder. Bake in oven on 425 for about 30 minutes or until done to your liking.

These look awesome!!
  • ktlynn4queen
    ktlynn4queen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Truthfully I don't care for cinnamon but i hear its good for you.