Do people really think eating clean/healthy is too boring?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, and tuna - why aren't pork and beef considered clean?

Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals

Unless of course they have a good personality.

But we'd have to be talkin' about one charming mf'n pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, and tuna - why aren't pork and beef considered clean?

Unless of course they have a good personality.

But we'd have to be talkin' about one charming mf'n pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

LOL okay that is an acceptable reason then :D I'll take that!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue, at least from the ladies that I work with that keep trying to 'diet', none of them know how to cook or look for new recipes. The idea of cooking something that isn't chips (fries) seems to be revolutionary! When I bring in my salads for lunch I get asked 'oh, why make it when you can pick up a ready made one?' and when I list off how easy it is and how I know exactly what's in it they have deer eyes! Honestly!

When I get asked why I bother making things myself when there's ones already made in the shop, from ready cooked roast chickens, salads or sauces I say the same thing. It's not hard to do myself, it's cheaper and I know exactly what's going in to it.

But no, for some people a new recipe is like a new language and don't get me started on what they think of experimenting with herbs and spices O_O
  • frando
    Options

Wait, I live near free range pigs and they're fine! To be honest they're cleaner looking, and generally, less daft then the sheep!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's threads like these that make me really appreciate my childhood. My brother 'eats clean' because he's an athlete and a body builder. I just eat healthily, which yes- includes the odd sweet, baked, salty or alcoholic thing.

My parents brought my brother and I up on stuff that was made from scratch, but we were also allowed the odd 'oven chips and [something]' meal, and the odd takeaway. Since I've cooked for myself, I've made it a rule that I never add salt to anything. Overall, this is doing good. The only reason I'm fat is because I suffer from a number of health issues, both physical and mental, including binge eating disorder.

I don't feel the need to be religious about my food. I love all kinds of food, regardless of how many ingredients it has on the box or whether it's just come from the ground.

Also, all the posts about Chinese food? Yeah... I don't count Westernised Chinese cuisine as real Chinese food. You're hungry an hour later because of the amount of MSG added to most Chinese dishes, and the fact that so much of what we think of as 'Chinese' is deep fried in a thick batter. Go to an Asian food shop (or hell, go to a normal supermarket these days) and grab some ingredients, and buy proper ingredients, and make a proper meal, and then tell me if you feel hungry an hour later. Chinese (and other Asian cuisines) has been my go to food for the past five years. Quick, cheap, easy, filling, NOMMY.
  • frando
    Options
    It's threads like these that make me really appreciate my childhood. My brother 'eats clean' because he's an athlete and a body builder. I just eat healthily, which yes- includes the odd sweet, baked, salty or alcoholic thing.

My parents brought my brother and I up on stuff that was made from scratch, but we were also allowed the odd 'oven chips and [something]' meal, and the odd takeaway. Since I've cooked for myself, I've made it a rule that I never add salt to anything. Overall, this is doing good. The only reason I'm fat is because I suffer from a number of health issues, both physical and mental, including binge eating disorder.

I don't feel the need to be religious about my food. I love all kinds of food, regardless of how many ingredients it has on the box or whether it's just come from the ground.

Also, all the posts about Chinese food? Yeah... I don't count Westernised Chinese cuisine as real Chinese food. You're hungry an hour later because of the amount of MSG added to most Chinese dishes, and the fact that so much of what we think of as 'Chinese' is deep fried in a thick batter. Go to an Asian food shop (or hell, go to a normal supermarket these days) and grab some ingredients, and buy proper ingredients, and make a proper meal, and then tell me if you feel hungry an hour later. Chinese (and other Asian cuisines) has been my go to food for the past five years. Quick, cheap, easy, filling, NOMMY.

Same here, my parents pretty much are of he mind 'if you can make it yourself, make it yourself' which includes furniture, gifts and most recently a cake for my cat xD
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    There are so many spices out there that nothing needs to be boring. Plus all the different ways to cook. C'mon i look at that as an excuse.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The only hard part is cooking and having time for that but by sacrificing my social time I have been able to make time for healthy cooking. Most people allow themselves too much social time and leisure time and not enough healthy time. I love eating clean personally. I love the way my body feels when I know nothing is getting clogged and everything I put in isn't "waste" or better put "waist".
    So what do you all think? For all you clean eaters, do you find it hard to have variety and do you enjoy eating this way or do it because you know its healthy? And for ones who thinks it's too boring, do you find it is more that you can't give up the processed foods or more because you don't have the time to prep and cook all the time?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is going to argue that you'd get all your nutritional needs from Totino's pizza rolls and McDoubles. But that doesn't mean you can't occasionally have pizza rolls and McD's and still be very healthy.

I don't eat 100% clean because I'm lazy and don't want to make all my marinades, sauces and breads from scratch. Sometimes I'd rather buy a bag of Perdue General Tso chicken nuggets (which are SO good) and just toss those suckers in the oven for 20 minutes than cook it all from scratch. Sometimes I want a thick crust pepperoni pizza.

Plus, I remember this scene from Married with Children. Peg had a personal trainer, who tried to get her to eat healthy, but instead started eating Peg's bonbons and other junky foods and... died.
    AL) C'mon, everybody, family meeting. [they all sit] Now, Peg, I know you think you're responsible for killing Jim. And yet you have no guilt of squashing the life out of me, but that's another meeting. Anyway, what I'm saying is, you didn't kill Jim. Good health killed Jim. See, he purified his body so completely, that when finally called on to do so, he couldn't handle the grease and sugar and toxic waste that we call food. He rendered himself extinct. See, healthy people are like dinosaurs. They're not fit to survive. Jim's body couldn't handle the burgers and bonbons and pastry suckin's like real Americans. You see, Peg, WE are the truly strong.

PEGGY) You really think so, Al?

AL) Absolutely. See that cockroach over there?

PEGGY) [points] That one?

AL) [points] No, that one. Well, any one of them. You don't see them carrying of a can of Wheat Germ, do you?

KELLY) Gurm, Dad.

AL) Thank you, Pumpkin. Anyhow, Peg, let's follow the example of our friend the cockroach. They were before man, they'll be here after man. You know why? They eat crap. And I say, if it's good enough for the cockroach, then it's good enough for my family!

Now, that's an exaggeration, for sure, but I do think my body is resilient enough to handle some truly crappy foods once in a while.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I think the main issue, at least from the ladies that I work with that keep trying to 'diet', none of them know how to cook or look for new recipes. The idea of cooking something that isn't chips (fries) seems to be revolutionary! When I bring in my salads for lunch I get asked 'oh, why make it when you can pick up a ready made one?' and when I list off how easy it is and how I know exactly what's in it they have deer eyes! Honestly!

When I get asked why I bother making things myself when there's ones already made in the shop, from ready cooked roast chickens, salads or sauces I say the same thing. It's not hard to do myself, it's cheaper and I know exactly what's going in to it.

But no, for some people a new recipe is like a new language and don't get me started on what they think of experimenting with herbs and spices O_O

This hits on the reason most people don't want to eat clean (whatever that means) or prepare foods from fresh ingredients. They just don't want to take the time.

Personally, I love cooking. I find chopping vegetables to be stress relieving. My husband thinks that's weird but he likes the home cooked dinners, whatever my reason for doing it. Or maybe it's the glass of wine I usually have while chopping them.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    they eat a very large meal at once and then barely eat anything the rest of the day because they are out of calories.

So what?

Meal timing is irrelevant. If you wanna spend 'em all in one place, you can.

going long periods of time with out fueling your body is not healthy, and if you eat a big meal at noon and have nothing the rest of the day, no that is not healthy, it messes with your metabolism, and puts you in a position to run the risk to binge the next day because your body is starving. And just because people choose to eat clean/whole foods or whatever you want to call it does not mean they think they are superior to anyone else. There hasn't been any nastiness in this thread, so I don't really understand where that logic came from. I have said numerous times what works for one may not work for another, and that there is nothing wrong with that. This is how I choose to eat and I am not knocking you if you choose to eat different. And at least from the things I have said are not based on just my opinion, alot of the views I have on this subject I have researched and have talked to dieticians and doctors, and like I said, I live a pretty holistic lifestyle, so obviously my point of view and things I have found from holistic doctors may not be agreed upon by all. I choose to believe these dr.'s and nutritionist and the things I have learned make complete sense to me. Doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone.
  • ToughTulip
    Options

This hits on the reason most people don't want to eat clean (whatever that means) or prepare foods from fresh ingredients. They just don't want to take the time.

Personally, I love cooking. I find chopping vegetables to be stress relieving. My husband thinks that's weird but he likes the home cooked dinners, whatever my reason for doing it. Or maybe it's the glass of wine I usually have while chopping them.

I absolutely love cooking too, so I use a lot of fresh ingredients when I can :D
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    they eat a very large meal at once and then barely eat anything the rest of the day because they are out of calories.

So what?

<snip>
    going long periods of time with out fueling your body is not healthy, and if you eat a big meal at noon and have nothing the rest of the day, no that is not healthy, it messes with your metabolism, and puts you in a position to run the risk to binge the next day because your body is starving.
    <snip>

you might want to do some more research on that ^^
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Perhaps those people can't cook or just aren't very creative. I think I do pretty well with clean eating. We try to make everything from scratch, seldom use canned, frozen or boxed products. The majority of our groceries are from meat counter and produce sections of the store. We make our own stocks and our own salad dressings. With the exception of my lunch sandwiches (I don't bake my own bread, raise turkeys or make cheese), I say my diet its pretty clean. It's not perfect by any means, but I think it's healthy. I'm not bored or hungry either.
  • bcattoes
    Options

But do people really get hungry an hour after eating Chinese food? I think that is just an old joke. I don't feel full any longer from homemade Chinese than when I eat it in a restaurant. Less bloated from the homemade, sure. But I've never noticed a difference in fullness.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

So what?

<snip>
    going long periods of time with out fueling your body is not healthy, and if you eat a big meal at noon and have nothing the rest of the day, no that is not healthy, it messes with your metabolism, and puts you in a position to run the risk to binge the next day because your body is starving.
    <snip>

you might want to do some more research on that ^^

since, you know, it's not true.

It's what has become known as Broscience. sounds cool, bro, but it isn't true.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So what?

going long periods of time with out fueling your body is not healthy, and if you eat a big meal at noon and have nothing the rest of the day, no that is not healthy, it messes with your metabolism, and puts you in a position to run the risk to binge the next day because your body is starving. And just because people choose to eat clean/whole foods or whatever you want to call it does not mean they think they are superior to anyone else. There hasn't been any nastiness in this thread, so I don't really understand where that logic came from. I have said numerous times what works for one may not work for another, and that there is nothing wrong with that. This is how I choose to eat and I am not knocking you if you choose to eat different. And at least from the things I have said are not based on just my opinion, alot of the views I have on this subject I have researched and have talked to dieticians and doctors, and like I said, I live a pretty holistic lifestyle, so obviously my point of view and things I have found from holistic doctors may not be agreed upon by all. I choose to believe these dr.'s and nutritionist and the things I have learned make complete sense to me. Doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone.

Is 382 days too long to go without food?

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration. Postgrad Med J. 1973 March; 49(569): 203–209.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The only reason I speak up in these threads is because when I was a newbie, I was confused and disappointed to see that healthy living/weight loss had so many rules. Threads like this were very discouraging to me, and I almost quit.

I speak up so other users will see my ticker, and realize they don't have to follow all these restrictive rules, or buy into the broscience. You can have really good success even if you don't get all restrictive and eat only "clean" food.

I am not being nasty, I am being factual. Just because those facts contradict your opinion, doesn't mean I was nasty.

Have a nice day. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BA HA HA HA...

Boring? Seriously? Ever since I started this journey, I've been kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's been a party in my mouth every day! Today's menu: breakfast - omelette with sautteed mushrooms and scallions with a side of fresh fruit salad, lunch - Hawaiian poke (with salmon instead of ahi) with a side salad with ginger-sesame dressing , snack - shaved sweet potato crisps, dinner - pork pot stickers and stir-fried veggie melange.

Everything is homemade and absolutely POPS with flavor. To be fair, I've been an avid home cook for many years, so it was easy to translate those skills from high-fat/calorie foods into healthier fare. Also, I'm self-employed and work from home, so it doesn't take a ton of meal planning for me to stick to the diet (plus I have access to my kitchen all the time).

The previous mentions of dieters being afraid of salt is very true. Also, I don't understand why everyone is afraid of cooking fats like butter and oil. Suddenly having a "fear" of high-calorie components is, in my opinion, a really bad way to go about forming a healthier relationship with food...which is the whole point of losing weight, right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    BA HA HA HA...

Boring? Seriously? Ever since I started this journey, I've been kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's been a party in my mouth every day! Today's menu: breakfast - omelette with sautteed mushrooms and scallions with a side of fresh fruit salad, lunch - Hawaiian poke (with salmon instead of ahi) with a side salad with ginger-sesame dressing , snack - shaved sweet potato crisps, dinner - pork pot stickers and stir-fried veggie melange.

Everything is homemade and absolutely POPS with flavor. To be fair, I've been an avid home cook for many years, so it was easy to translate those skills from high-fat/calorie foods into healthier fare. Also, I'm self-employed and work from home, so it doesn't take a ton of meal planning for me to stick to the diet (plus I have access to my kitchen all the time).

The previous mentions of dieters being afraid of salt is very true. Also, I don't understand why everyone is afraid of cooking fats like butter and oil. Suddenly having a "fear" of high-calorie components is, in my opinion, a really bad way to go about forming a healthier relationship with food...which is the whole point of losing weight, right?

You made your own butter/oils/vinegar to saute things in and make dressings? Impressive