Hypoglycemia, Type 1 Diabetes, or just paranoid?

Options
Hello,
I need help and figured this would be the first place to start. Genetically my family isn't very big, ( I've always been in the lower 100's, weighing at my most today 135). There is no history of diabetes either. Ever since college I've always been on the go. I always had 5-6 classes a day, spent hours in a practice room (music major) and ended the day with a 2-3 hour marching band practice. Lunch was normally what I could fit in my backpack (granola bar/fruit/poptart etc). My friends always poke at me because they say I eat like a bird. I can't put away a lot of food at one meal BUT I am continuously eating snacks between meal times (fruit, granola, cereal etc etc) .

While being really active I've noticed I have big mood swings and lack of energy if I'm very hungry and always feel better after I eat. Even in the mornings when I feel sluggish (if we are on a trip or on our way to a very busy day) he always suggests I get my "happy drink" ( A small Carmel Frap) It makes me feel better and more awake but I don't experience the "crash" of the after effect.

I'm constantly worrying about my next meal because hunger is something I deal with often. I've never gone without food in my life (due to money or family history) I just seem to be hungry EVERY 2-3 hours... EX. I get up at 5:30 every morning, have a full serving of healthy cereal and by 8 am my stomach is growling again, even if I spent most of that time sitting, reading, on the computer.. I'm always worried I'll be somewhere (whether with friends, hiking, or running) and I will have no access to food when I'm hungry.

I AM able to stop myself when I am full, I actually never eat until I'm stuffed and eat until I am pleasantly full. This sometimes results to me being hungry again even after I just ate. I've been known to eat fruit or a granola just after meal and I have to hear "didn't you just eat?" from whoever I'm with. It's not a mind thing, It's the whole effect. I get headaches, I'm sleepy, and just really moody if I don't have something to eat every 2-3 hours.

I know this sounds wonderful to some people (my friends get mad when I complain. I always get "You're a stick" ) But honestly it's miserable sometimes. I wish I could be one of those people who ate and remained full for 4 hours. I understand that It may just be a high metabolism and that I just need to deal with it but ...after 6-8 years of it.. it really drives me nuts when I go away from my apt for an outing and instead of enjoying the day I'm constantly wondering if I brought enough snacks with me and wondering when my next meal is going to be.

Just a bit of a background. I rarely eat out, I don't drink soda (all water and crystal light), I try to keep each major meal at or under 450 calories, I'm also very active ( I either run or do some type of workout every day ) but Itrack it with my body bugg and compensate in my food journal for the workout. I eat fruit, veggies, protein shakes, granola bars, whole wheat, Almond milk, greek yogurt etc etc.

I've done some research, common symptoms of what I have, and questioned it to possibly being border line hypoglycemia or type 1 diabetes. I don't know if it is all caused by a drop in blood sugar? I just know that If I'm hiking or walking and I get hungry the longer I go without food, my legs and arms start shaking, I get either really cranky or really tired/quiet, and sometimes a headache.

Just don't have the money, at the moment, to go to a Drs. office and have a bunch of test ran,just tired of the same phenomenon and hoping someone else could shed the light on the situation.

Thank you so much

Replies

• resa820
    resa820 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

I am borderline hypoglycemic myself. My doctor did a bunch of tests when I was a teenager and said I'm just on the cusp and I have the same symptoms that you do. If I don't eat and I'm hungry, you'd better have food or get out of my way! I eat six or seven times a day when I can and even when I didn't watch what I ate, and had the waist line to prove it, I could eat a huge meal and be hungry again in just a couple of hours and if I didn't eat I'd feel sick. Of course I can't say for sure if you are in the same boat that I am, but it does sound strickingly familiar. All my doctor told me at the time was that I should keep small snacks with me and carry a small candy, like Lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers, at all times so that if I start to feel sick eat a small snack or suck on a candy until I can get to a better snack or meal. I have never looked into further with other doctors after my pediatrician because I've always got decent access to food so I can't say if there are other trouble shooting methods out there, but really, just make sure you're prepared when you go out and get a pack of small candy so that if you do find yourself without a snack you have something that will get your blood sugar up until you can get to real food.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm similar in the fact that if I don't eat every few hours I get weak, shaky, etc. My teenage son is exactly the same. What I have learned (from MFP) is that the more protein I have in a meal I can go a lot longer without feeling the need to eat something. My son is learning the same thing. I've been buying him expensive protein bars for breakfast & he's much happier at school now. I would try different foods with more protein and see if that helps. I also know that one little spree candy (5 calories I think) can hold off that weak, shaky feeling for a 1/2 hour or more sometimes. Good luck!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Interesting topic and wish I had more time to respond but I'll try to be succinct.

I think whenever you are able to, it might be worthwhile to talk to your PCP or see an endocrinologist and have your fasting blood glucose levels taken. This can give you a baseline idea of whether you're dealing with something like pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, etc.

I have struggled with bouts of hypoglycemia my whole life, with the added bonus that if I get my "woozy" feeling when I'm hungry and go too long at that point without getting something to eat, I will actually faint. I have fainted in a few public and rather embarrassing places. :)

Yet, oddly enough, my fasting blood sugar levels always come out fine. Nevertheless, I think there is something endocrine/hormone related at play with me. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian sydrome) and I have some fairly substantial family incidence of diabetes on both side of my family. Also, a majority of doctors don't seem to believe me on this, but I promise it is the truth, my hypoglycemia was MUCH worse when I was a) pregnant b) nursing or c) on BC pills. What all of those conditions have in common is a difference from "regular" hormone levels and I personally think that can also have an impact on insulin and insulin resistance, but that is totally a personal opinion that is not indicated in any of the current science that I have found. Incidentally, I also had to take the glucose tolerance tests that women are given during pregnancy twice with each pregnancy - failed the one hour test but then passed the 3 hour, which also leads me to believe that something about pregnancy/nursing/hormonal BC adds to my issues with hypoglycemia.