So I will be camping in the wilderness (lol) ..

..for four days in two days..

I have already been on MFP for about a week now and lost 2lbs. I have been very strict with maintaining my calories, exercise, ensuring I am getting good food. Got quite dependent on the MFP app too lol. I am actually enjoying this! I won't even call it a diet since I barely feel hungry anymore.

Since I would be camping in some area without any wifi, I am worried that i won't be able to watch the calories I take in/burn properly.. Gah. And all those typical camping food; hot dogs, meat and more meat lol. I am making sure to bring salad.

But I don't know, any advice to keep me in track while "away"? Could I still access MFP (maybe just by adding calories) offline?

Replies

• DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Perhaps log some of the food today that you know will be there and see beforehand just how many calories a serving is and adjust accordingly? Bring plenty of fresh fruit and veggie sticks of your own to snack on and keep you from over consuming on the other stuff. Enjoy your camping trip, and maybe even a hot dog without a bun...moderation :)
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    If you have an app on your phone, you can still log without internet access (it has it's own database of food), you just can't bar code scan anything and it won't sync until you have internet access again (which just means that your times logged in consecutively will be disrupted and reset but the logged data will be there. And of course you'd be able to keep track of what you are eating each day as you go. We boondock in an area with no 3g or wifi and I can log any food (even if I haven't previously eaten it before) in offline mode.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    You can always take a note book to jot down what you eat and log when you get home.

Because you are outdoors, take advantage of it and hike! Get out there and move, fish, kayak (if you are near water). Lots of opportunities to unplug and get moving.

We'll be camping this weekend and I'm not so much worried about what I'll eat because I know how active we are on our trips. It'll balance out.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    You could plan your food ahead of time. At least have a general idea what each item is calorie-wise. Last time I went we ended up hiking and swimming a ton and I lost weight. Have fun. Four days is my official max for camping.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    You may find that your app has an "offline" mode that lets you log from foods you've previously logged anyway. it won't "count" towards days logged in as those are "days you've connected to the MFP servers at least once (24 hour periods rather than "days" as logging in at 6am on one day and not until 12pm the next day is a 30 hour gap which could lose your count) but you may find you can at least track some basic food items until you get back to wifi...

are you sure there won't be wifi there anyway? I've had much more success actually getting wi-fi / cell signals at "official" campgrounds vs where the property sits in a valley. If it's backcountry then sure, not likely to find wi-fi hotspots there ;)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Try planning your meals in advance. Figure out what each meal is, and sort of know ahead of time what a serving size is.

And, if you are meal planning - don't feel the need to get stuck in a crappy food camping rut. Meal prep can easily be done (and frozen ahead of time for the trip for easy transporting). You aren't limited to only hot dogs and smores.

Don't sweat it! :)
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    You can still use the app with no internet. It won't sync with the website, but you'll still be able to view your calories from your mobile app. :3
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    You know, just cause you are camping does not mean you can't eat healthy food. You can pre-make some of your food in foil pouches and just put them in the fire to cook......good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Just go and enjoy your camping adventure. You got this. I understand your desire to log all your food, but in reality, life is full of thiese types of scenarios. You try to keep it reasonable, weigh yourself when you get back, don't freak out, and move on.

This is life. The fun times. Not logging food. . . I wouldn't even write it down. It's four days. Just don't go crazy!
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    You shouldn't need wifi to sync. You should be able to do it utilizing phone signal alone, unless you're somewhere without any phone signal !!!!!!

We do a lot of camping and probably eat better camping than we do at home. Take lots of fruits and trail mix and cut up vegetables for snacking.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    .....and can I huggle-snuggle your kitten while you're gone?? Too frikkin cute.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    This is life. The fun times. Not logging food. . . I wouldn't even write it down. It's four days. Just don't go crazy!

Oh definitely I will have fun! Thanks everyone :) And it is good to know that I can use my app offline. Eeps! I am so excited for camping! haha. Oh and to that person who wrote that I could have hot dogs without buns, thanks! I never have buns anyway.. I don't like bread in general..
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    .....and can I huggle-snuggle your kitten while you're gone?? Too frikkin cute.

Aww! sure! Nyxie (black kitty) isn't that tiny anymore though, here's her recent picture (well sorta recent) http://bit.ly/RuSnhx. hehe Here's my other kitty Doofus http://bit.ly/TAjJAm :P
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    You can still use the app on your phone if you're not connected, it just won't be able to search beyond the offline database for food (which just means you'll have to pick more generic stuff). Also, it won't count your days logged in until you sync to the online database, which sucks.

I just recently went camping and it helped a lot for me to bring my own snack foods and salads. I also made my own gluten-free graham crackers, and a bunch of spicy turkey jerky. Also, bring fruit that won't spoil easily!
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    You can always bring some prepacked snacks. Nuts are a great source of protein and you can weigh them out ahead of time.
  • :bigsmile: I just came back from camping and you sure can eat healthy! Veggies and dip in ziplocks, hummus and chips, yogurt, fresh berries, fruit, granola, cheese, eggs, healthy meat can all be taken camping. I even put olive oil in a travel hair spray bottle and use my iron skillet to make fresh zucchini w/ garlic and olive oil to have w/ my meat cooked over the fire YUMMY! You can also make foil dinners before hand. Cut up chicken and veggies and wrap in small foil pouches that you can fit in ziplocks and put them over the fire. They are delicious and taste much like crock pot food depending on how long you cook them. Don't deny yourself a s'more and a hot dog though. Just go on a hike or a swim afterward to burn the calories off. Have a wonderful time!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Just got my real food update email for today:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/08/29/real-food-while-camping/#more-2997

happy eating!! :smile: