Zucchini, Carrot, Corn and Pepper Pancakes-24 Cal/Pic

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
I have been making the original version of my recipe for Shredded Zucchini and Carrot Pancakes and thought I needed to "step it up" a bit. So I decided to add some goodies to this recipe. The results are fantastic. Hubby and I stood over the counter, eating them hot from the griddle.

Let me know how you like this version. There are a couple of extra calories but not many. The entire recipe has about 420 calories and you can make 21 three inch pancakes. Just don't start eating them before you sit down at the table!

You can eat the pancakes as is, add them to omelets, as a side dish, with salsa or sour cream. They freeze well and make great sandwiches cold or hot! We warm them up in a frying pan, and drop some Egg Beaters over. When cooked on one side, just flip them over and finish cooking your eggs.

If you would like to see a step-by-step recipe with pictures, please go to my MFP blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

zccppfinal.jpg

Zucchini, Carrot, Corn and Pepper Pancakes

Ingredients:

- 4 cups of shredded zuchhini (about 3 medium sized)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, sweet red pepper
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup corn niblets (canned or frozen)
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free corn meal or breadcrumbs
- 1 container Egg Beaters
- 1 whole large egg
- seasonings as desired: pepper, parsley, onion flakes, hot pepper flakes, garlic powder, Sriracha sauce to taste
- 5 seconds of Pam butter-flavored spray or 1 teaspoon oil (for pan)

Preparation:

1. Shred zucchini in a food processor, mix with salt and transfer to a paper towel lined colander sitting over a large bowl. (I use the colander from my OXO salad spinner for this). Slightly tip the colander in the bowl to one side. This will help to drain the extra moisture from the zucchini. Extra liquid will make the pancake batter watery. Allow to sit for 45 minutes.
2. Shred the carrots in the food processor and transfer to a bowl. Briefly steam the carrots in the microwave for 1 minute. This makes them tender.
3. Chop the sweet red pepper and green onion and set aside.
4. Once the zucchini has stopped draining, squeeze the last bit of water and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the carrots, peppers, corn, green onion, cornmeal, eggs and seasonings.
5. Mix well and drop onto a medium hot, sprayed griddle. Make each pancake about 3 inches wide. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the bottoms are browned. Turn each pancake over and continue cooking until browned (5 to 7 minutes).
6. Repeat with remaining batter.

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Total calories: 420 (about 24 calories per pancake)

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, i shall be making these just as soon as i figure out what egg beaters are. Can i just use eggs? We don't have packaged eggs here in Australia, just eggs the way they come out of the chicken.
  • nortx
    Options
    Absolutely you can use whole eggs. I would use 3 for this amount of ingredients. I would love to know how they come out.. "down under". Hello from Texas here! :happy:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    This sounds and looks amazing.!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for that. We may just have to have them for dinner tonight. :)

Last question. I assume that cornmeal is the same as polenta, but do you use instant or regular polenta/cornmeal?
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    After seeing your first recipe I did a version with less egg (just one egg white) and about 50g of left over boiled potato, which I mashed up. I didn't want to use flour, have no idea how to get cornmeal, and needed to bind it somehow.
    They came out extremely delish, and your new ones look great too.
    Still not sure how to get cornmeal though.
    :smile:
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! thank you for posting!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    These look fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Cornmeal = polenta. Use interchangeably.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuump
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Mmmm :tongue: , they look :noway: really good. I think I'm gonna' try this recipe!:drinker: & thanks for the post :flowerforyou:
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yummy, I'll try them with whole eggs as well; I've never seen packaged eggs in the UK before.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes, i shall be making these just as soon as i figure out what egg beaters are. Can i just use eggs? We don't have packaged eggs here in Australia, just eggs the way they come out of the chicken.

eggbeaters are basically eggwhites made to look like scrambled eggs....here are the ingredients right off of my package...
    eggwhites 99%,less then 1% of the following...natural flavor,color,(includes beta carotine) spices, salt,onion powder,vegetable gums,vitamins and minerals.

25 calories a serving.
  • nortx
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This is the definition of cornmeal from Wikipedia, "Cornmeal is a meal (coarse flour) ground from dried maize or American corn. It is a common staple food, and is ground to fine, medium, and coarse consistencies, but not as fine as wheat flour.[1] In the United States, very finely ground cornmeal is also referred to as cornflour.[1] However, the word cornflour denotes cornstarch in the United Kingdom."

Here in Texas, I buy Polenta that is gluten free and has been formed into a tube shape. Water has been added to the cornmeal to produce this product. Recently I saw a Quinoa Polenta package at Sprouts. That is the next new ingredient I plan to try. I use Polenta by frying it and adding it to scrambled Egg Beaters. It add so much flavor and consistency. It is often used as a breakfast food along with sausage and bacon.

Cornmeal is usually gluten-free and I often use it to bread fish or chicken or add instead of flour. You could easily substitute breadcrumbs for the corrnmeal in this recipe.

Egg Beaters is an all egg white product packaged in containers. One package is usually equal to 2 eggs. I needed to add 1 whole egg to add the yolk which helped to bind the ingredients. You could easily substitute 2 large eggs. If you feel your mixture needs a little more liquid, just add another egg white or whole egg.

I think the post about adding some leftover mashed potato is a great idea. I often add little bits of leftovers to this recipe.

Enjoy!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try this. Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    These look Aaaaaaamazing!!!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    Bump for later to try!