MFP has confused me

Options
I usually use the phone app and on Tuesday I added my new weight loss (13.5lb so far) it came up with a message - something like mfp was going to adjusts goals and was I happy with that. I hit yes without really knowing what it was going to do and it appears to have changed my daily calorie goal from 1490 to 1400. I don't understand why it would do that? I've been losing at around 1lb every 10 days or so, so slow and steady which I'm happy with so I don't get it ???

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    not sure what happened but i have noticed tht when we "lose" weight, the recommended food calorie is "less"
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight your body needs less calories to fuel itself. The adjustment helps so that you don't hit a plateau.
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ah I see! That makes sense thank you :)
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you have been losing weight consistently at 1490 and are happy with your 1lb per week, you could adjust your settings manually back to 1490. MFP isn't always right and you know your body best. If you are losing at 1490 there really is no reason to decrease youre calories further.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I usually use the phone app and on Tuesday I added my new weight loss (13.5lb so far) it came up with a message - something like mfp was going to adjusts goals and was I happy with that. I hit yes without really knowing what it was going to do and it appears to have changed my daily calorie goal from 1490 to 1400. I don't understand why it would do that? I've been losing at around 1lb every 10 days or so, so slow and steady which I'm happy with so I don't get it ???

MFP encourages you to change your goals every 10lb. It re-does your calculations based on your new weight.

If you had said no, it would have kept you at 1490.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Since you have been losing weight consistently at 1490 and are happy with your 1lb per week, you could adjust your settings manually back to 1490. MFP isn't always right and you know your body best. If you are losing at 1490 there really is no reason to decrease youre calories further.

I don't think this is really true, simply because the less you weigh, the less calories you need to take in, like Cari said above. So if you're losing weight, but not lowering the amount of calories you take in accordingly, you won't continue losing that pound a week. You might at first, but eventually it will catch up with you.