How the heck do you cook tilapia????

Options
13»

Replies

• tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Fish taco's! Or mix it with sauted squash, zucchini, carrots, broccoli and brown rice with some lemon pepper seasoning. That is what I do when mine falls apart. Yummy!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I put it on foil. I marinate with Fat Free Italian dressing and Diet Dr. Pepper. Season with seasoning salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder. I slice roma tomatoes and lay a couple on top of each piece and then I take jarred jalapenos and sprinkle them all around. . Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes. When it flakes it is done. I also use foil on the grill.
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I make individual foil packets for each piece of fish. Add the thawed filet and seasonings. I use a little EVOO, Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, a little fresh parsley and a splash of lemon juice. Loosely close the packets and bake in 350 degree oven. My filets only took about 10-12 mins to cook. They were very tender and flaky but did not fall apart.

* I also used the frozen tilapia from Walmart.
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bake it with a little bit of olive oil, and lemon juice.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    tilapia is a very thin fish so it doesn't have as long a cook time as salmon. hence, it cooks a lot faster than 15 minutes. I usually sprinkle mine with parm cheese and lemon juice, and bake for 5-8 minutes in a 350F oven. you can also pan fry it, I dust it lightly with flour and put it on a medium-heated, non-stick skillet. 2-3 minutes on each side, then I sprinkle it with lemon.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i lay out a few fillets on aluminum foil thats sprayed with Pam and bake at 350F until you test it to see if its cooked through..i know you might think that dries it up but it doesnt...somehow it cooks it through and makes it hold together.....i guess because its at a lower heat and gives it time to slowly keep its shape?....then i jack up the heat to broil at 450F and 'grill' it and its done!!!

preseason the fish with your favorite spices and let it SIT for a bit...before you stick it in the oven. NO cover.

hope this helps? mine never fall apart and are very soft inside and crispy outside.
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I cook my tilapia in a pan. It usually falls apart by the time I get it out of the pan. It's all going in my mouth anyway so it doesn't matter.:drinker:
  • JeanVales
    JeanVales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure that the fish is dry, completly dry when you are cooking it and then bake in over with no cover
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My basic recipe for just about any cut of white fish:
    http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/10/fast-n-furious-fish.html
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I grill mine on my George Foreman grill with some lemon pepper seasoning. Mine falls apart too when I take it off the grill. It's just real tender. I dont mind, cuz I'm just gonna eat it anyways.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I steam mine.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    why do you care if it falls apart? Cover the thing in mango salsa and enjoy! Save your fork the work ;-)
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    easiest- on the george foreman grill for about 5 minutes. that's it!
  • Volleysuzy
    Options
    Sounds good and im not sure what bread crumbs you use but you should try Planco bread crumbs they are less on the fat content
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already said this (I don't want to page through all the responses... too lazy to be honest, haha!) but I put mine on the stove in some Pam spray about 4 mins each side -- YUM!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Dip into flour, then into egg , then in breadcrumb mixture with seasoning, fry in oil for a few minutes = delicious