What am I doing wrong

Options
So far I lost about 16lbs. However I am stuck. I haven't lost a pound since November. I have been work out 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks. Help.

Replies

• lkharris
    Options
    Hang in there. Are you eating enough calories? Sometimes when you go too low, you slow your metabolism. If that's not the problem you may just have hit the "plateau". Only thing you can do is keep up the good work!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    So far I lost about 16lbs. However I am stuck. I haven't lost a pound since November. I have been work out 3-4 times a week for 3 weeks. Help.
    I was just getting ready to log off, but seen your post. I have had the same problem...but my scale has been stuck since May/June, with a little loss again early in October, this is what I have done in the last three weeks...(I am suppose to weigh in tomorrow, but I couldn't stand it and weighed in today, I have lost 3.5 pounds in the last three weeks) I am so happy, the scale finally moved. What I did different....I started eating more of my exercise calories, I ate high protein, good quality calories for those extra calories...I admit I have trouble eating them, especially when I work so hard to burn them.
    I was also doing a lot of strength training, I layed off of that and instead did more cardio and I made sure to rest with a day of stretches. I still strength train, but only twice a week now, one upper, one lower body workout. The cardio though, I am doing every day 6 days a weeks, 1 day I do 40 minutes, on the days I stretch and work out with weights, I add a 25 minute cardio. I either run or do the elliptical and I alternate back and forth, trying for 220-300 minutes of cardio a week. Hope this helps.
    I know it can be frustrating, hang in there...drink your water, try on some old clothes, see if there is a difference. Even measure yourself. so you'll have something to go by..try to remember muscle weighs more than fat, so it could be that also. Just keep moving and you'll feel great and the rest will fall into place! 16 pounds is Great!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: try to look at that success....don't forget it, you have succeeded, and you'll do it again!!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The more important question is: how do your CLOTHES fit? The scale is not a true measure for fat loss. Muscle is more dense than fat and thus, weighs more. If you are gaining muscle (which is good, by the way), then it is possible that the scale would either not move or could actually go up! Make sure you are eating enough calories to maintain your body - you should never go below 1200 calories per day NET (Calories consumed - calories burned = NET calories). If you are eating enough and the tape measure isn't budging, try changing up your exercise routine to challenge your body in a new way.

Either way - ditch the scale and get a tape measure!
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. That is a common misconception. Muscle takes up less room than fat because muscle is more compact. That is the reason why you might not see a weigh loss on the scale but you could be losing inches which is replacing fat with muscle. Which by the way is fantastic because muscle burns more calories than fat. Another thing is water weight which is the first thing to go when you start a weight loss journey. Plus your weight should fluctuate by a few pounds. Good luck and you'll do great!
  • JOY621
    JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think I need to eat more. I need more protein. Your comment is very helpful. :smile: :
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You are correct - a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pounds of fat. However, one cubic unit of muscle weighs more than one cubic unit of fat. Therefore, someone can weigh more due to body composition and still be the same 'size'.