Has anyoned tried Chromium to reduce carb cravings?

Options
I've read that Chromium supplements can reduce carb cravings- has anyoned tried it?

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I do have chromium in my supplementation regimen. Haven't really noticed a difference. But I honestly don't have any major carb cravins to begin with. I'll pay extra attention and see.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    apparently there was a study done that linked these two things back in 2005, but I haven't seen any follow up confirmations on it. Generally, that means the follow ups did not prove the theory, or no follow ups were done. I find it hard to believe, though, that no further research was done on this, considering the international attention obesity and carbohydrate nutrition has been receiving over the last 10 years. That leads me to believe that this study was a red herring.

It makes me sad though, I have a serious carb addiction, and would LOVE to find a way to curb that. Right now (and yes it works), I just mentally kick my *kitten* when ever I start to get carb crazy. It's no fun though, it's a daily battle.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Anything that safely helps the daily struggle would be a blessing.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Ironically, I just found a follow up study done, and IT found that it reduced FAT cravings. WHAT? these are two completely different metabolic pathways. WTF! Oh well, must be a red herring.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Supposedly, it not only reduces carb cravings, but helps in the metabolism of carbs and fat, enhances insulin function- and helps depression. I guess if it were truly that much of a miracle, we'd all know about it. lol
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Supposedly, it not only reduces carb cravings, but helps in the metabolism of carbs and fat, enhances insulin function- and helps depression. I guess if it were truly that much of a miracle, we'd all know about it. lol

right. I do as much research on diet and health as anyone, and I had to look this one up. I think I woulda heard of it if it had successful clinical trials. Plus you KNOW some company would have been all over it.

And can I just say, you take a terrific picture Brenda (out of the blue, I know, but your avatar is very flattering).
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    And can I just say, you take a terrific picture Brenda (out of the blue, I know, but your avatar is very flattering).

Thank you. It's all about the angles and lighting. I like to call it "smoke and mirrors". I'll be glad when I get the weight off, and won't have to worry so much about the details. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Thank you. It's all about the angles and lighting. I like to call it "smoke and mirrors". I'll be glad when I get the weight off, and won't have to worry so much about the details. :)

Bahh, don't sell yourself short! However you angle it the picture is still of you!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    My husband's doctor has him taking Chromium to help regulate his metabolism and insulin levels. He has pretty severe nerve damage (ie: pain) in his feet due to previously unaddressed diabetes. It's working so far.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a combination of chromium, zinc and magnesium which helped with metabolic issues.
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/2/585S

ETA - Brenda, have you seen this article from muscle and fitness? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_11_65/ai_n6249374/