Sweating causing acne breakouts??

Options
Okay, so I've never been one to have major breakouts. I get the occasional pimple once or twice a month but lately I seem to be getting a lot of whiteheads. The only thing I can think of is sweating when I work out, but after working out I normally shower right after. I guess I'm just wondering has anyone experience breakouts once they start working out? If so, what do you recommend?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Exercise tends to increase oil production in the skin, wash your face immediately after exercise with mild soap and rinse well.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    great! thanks Brian!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If I didn't wash fairly soon after, would get a sweaty back, but seem to be fine now even if I don't.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My breakouts stopped when I started washing my sweaty towels with an anti-bacterial detergent. If you are like me and sweat tons and use towels during workouts, it might help.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was getting acne from the sweat...I just wash my face more often now and use masks...Wal-mart has some nice ones that come in individual packs for like $1 something that work real great - wash off and peel off kinds :)
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Presume you're not wearing any makeup before workouts, but if you are, don't. Go in with a clean face. Also, be aware of touching your face with your hands while working out, especially if you're using a gym and communal equipment.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    also, I have bangs - I started wearing a headband to hold my bangs back because the sweat was like rubbing against my forehead and causing acne there - ew!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Wash your face preworkout. I don't have alot of skin probs acne wise, but if I feel especially gross or have makeup I will go in with a clean face. Wash pre and post workout. Or you could use witch hazel pre, just to get stuff off superficially then get a cleanser that's made for oily skin post work out.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    good advice here. I've been breaking out more often now too, especially on my arms of all places. Or maybe I just notice more because I want to show them off more.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've never tried masks or even cleansers. I use a blackhead scrum here and there but since I don't really have acne problems never really invested in any. I'll definitely look into them!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena makes a great body wash called "Body Clear" if you're having trouble all over. And they have a lot of wonderful products for the face too, I rely on them, especially since I started working out. They can be drying for some people, so use a good moisturizer if you try them.
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i also sometimes have very bad breakouts cause i sweat so much during workouts. if all the above recommended dont help maybe try changing your pillow cases like somebody said your skin is different now that you are exercising so you could be releasing oils or sweat into your pillow while sleeping and that may cause some of it. I just wash my face really good after workouts with warm water cause daily cleansers cause me to breakout more(sensitive)
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The neutrogena grapefruit acne body wash works well! Checkout link http://www.neutrogena.com/product/oil-free+acne+wash+pink+grapefruit+foaming+scrub.do?sortby=ourPicks

I was breaking out on back and arms. I shower right after a workout and wash makeup off before I workout or hit sauna.

Bought these today for quick face wash. Brand called 'Simple'...friend recommended them. A nice lady passing by at grocery store gave me a coupon too today! *score* you can also get coupons online http://www.simpleskincare.com/

Drink lots of water and cleanse face day and evening and right after workout!
    Good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Make sure to remove make-up before working out. During workouts, avoid touching your face with your hands. Don't use the same towel to wipe sweat from your face and sweat from the bench.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena makes a great body wash called "Body Clear" if you're having trouble all over. And they have a lot of wonderful products for the face too, I rely on them, especially since I started working out. They can be drying for some people, so use a good moisturizer if you try them.

I use their body wash as I have a problem breaking out in my back and chest with working out. I also have their acne spray I put on after. I find that helps. Plus drink lots of water!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Neutrogena soap
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Neutrogena. I've had the same problem, and have been using their Pink Grapefruit Facial Wash and Moisturiser. My skin hasn't been this clear in a longtime!! Didn't know about the bodywash will look out for that one!
  • MrsFlotron
    MrsFlotron Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. Good tips on here. :happy: