What does "bump" mean?

Options
I never use the internet and most of the lingo I pick up pretty quick on but I can't figure out what bump means. Help?

Replies

• sarahbeth913
    sarahbeth913 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It usually doesn't have a context. It's usually just one word. I'll see if I can find one...
    Can u use it in context please hehe
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, there is no hypertext around the word when people use it so there is no functionality to it, so what gives.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    It just "bumps" the thread to the most recent posting to get attention. Like if I find an old thread with a good article or discussion I'll just write "Bump" so it gets pushed to the top.
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    Can u use it in context please hehe

It's like if you post something on a message board and then someone else replies it just says "bump". Does that mean "like" or "same here"?
  • sarahbeth913
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, there is no hypertext around the word when people use it so there is no functionality to it, so what gives.

Oh good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one out there...haha
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    it's meant to bring the post/topic up to the top of the list so that other people will see it & reply.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's a dance we did in the 70's:laugh:
    I never use the internet and most of the lingo I pick up pretty quick on but I can't figure out what bump means. Help?
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    BUMP = Bring Up My Post - In other words, move it up in the "recent" list. Also used (incorrectly some would say) by many posters on MFP to add a posting thread to the person's "My Topics" list to make it easier for the person to find again later.

For more, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/mfp-terms-introductory-274185
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I think you mean the hustle.....do the hustle
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahbeth913
    Options
    BUMP = Bring Up My Post - In other words, move it up in the "recent" list. Also used (incorrectly some would say) by many posters on MFP to add a posting thread to the person's "My Topics" list to make it easier for the person to find again later.

For more, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/mfp-terms-introductory-274185

Aha! Thank you! It's been driving me insane...and google wasn't much help. :bigsmile:
  • sarahbeth913
    Options
    It just "bumps" the thread to the most recent posting to get attention. Like if I find an old thread with a good article or discussion I'll just write "Bump" so it gets pushed to the top.

Thanks...:happy:
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The are two songs, one is The Bump, by Kenny, it went with the dance called the bump. To other one is Ain't gonna bump no more with no fat woman by Joe Tex. It has nothing to do with the bump's on the threads, but it is a bit of trivia that might help in a pub quiz or when playing trivial pursuit.
  • Caralynl
    Caralynl Posts: 43
    Options
    It also puts it into "My Topics" and makes it much easier for you to return to it.