Trying this thing out...don't want to do it alone!

Options
Hey guys,

I gained the freshmen...not 15, but 20. 20 glorious pounds in a mere 8 months. The first 10 pounds, I didn't really mind. I didn't look that different. But then it got worse. I have been injured and stopped playing basketball, but I eat the same amount/type of food. I hate how I look in all of my clothes that I used to love. The other day I was looking at pictures of myself from just before I started college. I want that again.

Here's my problem, I don't have any self-motivation. I am my biggest critic. I tell myself that I am pathetic and can't do it. So I need some moral support, and I'm hoping to meet some pretty cool people in the process. Hit me up if you wanna chat.

-Jessica

Replies

• boxkat
    boxkat Posts: 32
    Options
    Try not to be too hard on yourself, Jessica. I know plenty of people who gained the freshman 20 or 30 instead of 15.

I don't know what your eating habits are, but in order to avoid gaining weight in college, I made sure to a) Drink nothing but water, tea, or a small glass of juice in the cafeteria unless I'm treating myself. b) Say no to desserts, even though they're delicious and you can theoretically have as much as you want. c) Put more veggies on my plate than meat. d) Avoid/limit mashed potatoes and french fries.

Oh, and another big one... go straight to the healthy eating or vegetarian station if your school has one. That way you won't be tempted by all of the other stuff first. :)

On the bright side as well, colleges often have great gyms, and even personal trainers for students.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :) I started gaining weight in college too. I have so many shirts in my closet that I don't feel comfortable in anymore. Let's do this! So far, it's working for me - you can do it!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me. I'm in law school and I understand how difficult it is to try and lose weight while in school. I'm on here daily and do my best to motivate everyone I can because I know they'll return the favor when I'm at a low point. :) It's all about supporting each other on here.
  • jesjosep
    jesjosep Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will try my best. I don't live in the dorms anymore, I have an off campus apartment, so I am pretty much responsible for my own meals. I do eat out a lot, and I would like to know how to make healthy, but still delicious choices. I love food! Especially the foods you said not to have :p

But yes, one of my goals is to work out more often, but I need to motivate myself to go do that.
  • jesjosep
    Options
    Yes let's do this! We can all so this together!! :) I love all the support already. Thanks guys!!
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Same here! I was active in high school and then college rolled around and that all changed but my eating habits did not. Needless to say additional weight was added. I'm like you guys, I do better with other people pushing me along and me pushing along other people. Together we can do this!! This so far has been great. I can easily keep up with my food and exercise intake.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will try my best. I don't live in the dorms anymore, I have an off campus apartment, so I am pretty much responsible for my own meals. I do eat out a lot, and I would like to know how to make healthy, but still delicious choices. I love food! Especially the foods you said not to have :p

But yes, one of my goals is to work out more often, but I need to motivate myself to go do that.

If you do eat out a lot, just make sure to eat small portions. I like to get kid's meals whenever possible because they're cheaper and much smaller portions. Be sure to drink lots of fluids with every meal so that you feel 'full' even if you're eating a smaller portion. :)
  • jesjosep
    Options
    Same here! I was active in high school and then college rolled around and that all changed but my eating habits did not. Needless to say additional weight was added. I'm like you guys, I do better with other people pushing me along and me pushing along other people. Together we can do this!! This so far has been great. I can easily keep up with my food and exercise intake.

I will definitely help out with the encouragement! It isn't easy to look at yourself and compare to how you have been. But recently I have been thinking, "If I was that skinny once, why can't I be again? I am the only thing holding myself back." Keep your head up and we can all do this together! :)
  • jesjosep
    Options

If you do eat out a lot, just make sure to eat small portions. I like to get kid's meals whenever possible because they're cheaper and much smaller portions. Be sure to drink lots of fluids with every meal so that you feel 'full' even if you're eating a smaller portion. :)

great idea!! and i have decided i need to stop drinking soda. so pretty much only water and milk from now on.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is hard for everyone! We all need help and encouragement!
  • jesjosep
    Options
    I agree! and that is why I am here and trying to make friends. I would not be able to do this alone.