1 year old puppy

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
so i have my foxy, who is 1 year old!

we took her to the vet right after we got her, and so she was all taken care of on the puppy end with all her shots and what not

we also had her fixed

our vet never told us when we need to come back, and i feel a bit ignorant as this is my first dog. i am not realizing that she probably needs a heartworm and flea preventative. is there anything else i can be doing to have a healthy and happy dog?

also, what heartworm and flea preventatives do you guys recommend? thanks.

Replies

• SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My vet never told us to come back.. But we always got little letters in the mail telling us when to get his shots, & what he would need through out the seasons.. It was cute they always have his name in it like to :MILO lol ❤
  • foxyforce
    Options
    makes me wanna change vets! grrrr.....
  • rickyyykcir
    Options
    just keep up with her early shots and they will let you know if there is anything more that is needed to be done with her.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also have a foxy :-)

Right if you've a year she'll need boosters & while you're there the vet will recommend worming tablets & flee/tick treatment.

While you're there have a chat with the vet they'll advise & recommend or get a book on caring for your puppy but my guess us you've had her a year & she's not needed any vet intervention you must be doing something right but get her checked out & may she share a long & happy life with you.

Just saw you saying you're thinking about changing vets, they may have just assumed you knew what to do maybe give them benefit of the doubt & ask them questions/for advise on how best to look after her going forward or if you're not happy ask other dog owners in your area for a recommendation.

:-( on her op poor soul might be a void idea to find another vet - you need confidence in their ability to look after her - good luck x
  • foxyforce
    Options
    they didn't even microchip her when they fixed her...and they did it without the laser, she had stitches, i was so upset watching her take that much longer to heal.
  • bszczek
    bszczek Posts: 10
    Options
    Just give her a lotta love :happy: . My dog had stiches when we got her fixed too.....i felt so bad the first night because she had the cone on her head...that i put her in my bed, took the cone off, and couldn't sleep cause i kept checking to make sure she wasn't biting herself...lol
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    We use Sentinel for heartworm prevention and that has flea/tick medication already in it.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Just give her a lotta love :happy: . My dog had stiches when we got her fixed too.....i felt so bad the first night because she had the cone on her head...that i put her in my bed, took the cone off, and couldn't sleep cause i kept checking to make sure she wasn't biting herself...lol

aw. we kept the cone on her the whole time, but she was traumatized. she would stand in the middle of the floor all hunched up and not move, if we even touched her she would cry out :'(

i didn't even know i had to get her shots every year, i need more attn from my vet, like a reminder to come in. i have a pomeranian book but i can't be expected to remember everything in it, i read it when i got her last xmas. maybe i will just go in, get her started and then look for a new one. love my mutt.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Really? Your vet never told you to go back, so you didn't. Did your own doctor tell you to come back? If not, did you go back?

Logic, learn some.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i have logic, which is why i am investigating now and asking questions.

people that have babies get informed about different stages in care for their children, and many vets do this for people with their dogs.

rude.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Also, responsibility. You are responsible for your dog's health. No-one else.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    thanks mom, i had NO idea. take the stick out of your *kitten*! i am doing some research online and thought 'hey, i can ask my mfp community', obviously some people (ie. you) don't like people asking questions and informing themselves.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

people that have babies get informed about different stages in care for their children, and many vets do this for people with their dogs.

rude.
    No, logic is not asking now and blaming your vet because they didn't apparently did not tell you to go back. Logic would have been researching proper pet care before you took on this responsibility. Assuming you do bring your dog in for a check up and vaccinations, count yourself lucky if she is healthy. And don't blame anyone but yourself if she is not.
  • fruitloverlady
    Options
    I just hope everything will be ok with you and your dog soon. :)
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i never once blamed my vet, but would i switch for a vet that is more informative? hell yes. people aren't born all knowing. she just turned one and i am looking into further care for her, i am such a TERRIBLE pet owner.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I just hope everything will be ok with you and your dog soon. :)

my dog is fine....she went on an hour walk today and swam in a lake chasing ducks.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

rude.
    No, logic is not asking now and blaming your vet because they didn't apparently did not tell you to go back. Logic would have been researching proper pet care before you took on this responsibility. Assuming you do bring your dog in for a check up and vaccinations, count yourself lucky if she is healthy. And don't blame anyone but yourself if she is not.

You have to be kidding, you can't really be that miserable of a person. I've had dogs my whole life, good vets send out reminders of what needs to be done. The OP is obviously researching now so get over yourself and off your high horse.
    Also, I realize you work for a vet but it is ridiculous to take it so personally that the OP is thinking about changing hers.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

rude.

You have to be kidding, you can't really be that miserable of a person. I've had dogs my whole life, good vets send out reminders of what needs to be done. The OP is obviously researching now so get over yourself and off your high horse.
    So people should wait until their baby is a year old to find out the basic health needs of their child. And they should ask people on a fitness message board for medical advice. Okay. :huh:

When you are thinking about getting a dog you should look into the basic health needs of that dog. Not knowing that dogs need heartworm preventative until the dog is 1 year old? Blaming the vet for her own ignorance? Why wait a year to find out how to care for a dog? She's had a year to find this out.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i took my dog to the vet when she was 4 months and we scheduled everything that they said needed to be done at the time. at 6 months we got her fixed. 6 months later i am looking into everything else. i hope you are as lonely as you are *****y.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    yeah... you might have wanted to do a bit more research.

call you vet as soon as possible and ask them for advice. they know your dog, not us.