24 - 36 hour shifts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    elisa knows everything, look no further

Actually, in this case she is correct. HRMs are only useful for cardio type exercises and are not accurate for daily monitoring of calories burned.

so, when people say they burn 230 calories cooking is it safe to say they really didn't?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I was commenting on the accuracy of use of an HRM for non-cardio activities.

sorry, to clarify....people will say that their hrm is assessing them burning high calories for doing very sedentary things. but if you are saying that hrm's only correctly measure cardio type activities then it should be safe to say that their readings are wrong.

It is safe to say that the readings are likely wrong. But you have to remember that even HRMs for cardio activities are not 100% accurate as they are based on certain algorithms. These do not work very well at all when your heart rate is not elevated, or when your heart rate is raised for non cardiovasular endurance reasons (weight training, panic etc).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Actually, in this case she is correct. HRMs are only useful for cardio type exercises and are not accurate for daily monitoring of calories burned.

so, when people say they burn 230 calories cooking is it safe to say they really didn't?

Don't these also take into concideration the calories burned just by normaly daily activity? There for cooking calories should be figured into you daily activity level? Unless you are on a cooking show and you are crazily running back and forth through a kitchen with boiling pots of water and strange ingrediants ;-)

That is the subject of a whole lot of other posts and imo, the answer is generally I would say yes, but it depends if these activities are really included in the normal activity setting someone is on.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I think you're just a hater. Maybe they have a special outfit they wear with a fold out cutting board and utensils, they then cook while they run around the block and they stop when everything is cut, properly seasoned, and ready to hit the pan. You don't know!!!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

I think you're just a hater. Maybe they have a special outfit they wear with a fold out cutting board and utensils, they then cook while they run around the block and they stop when everything is cut, properly seasoned, and ready to hit the pan. You don't know!!!

i totally don't. but i do know i would love to burn that many calories in my daily cooking.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Golly Gee I opened a can of worms with this thread. Thanks for everyones opinions I'll think over what I plan to do.