Strength Training

Options
Studies show that those who solely dieted lost 25% of their weight from muscle! They lost definition AND decreased their metabolism – kinda goes against the whole weight loss goal doesn’t it?

Do you strength train? Why or why not?

Replies

• mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do! Makes me feel bad-*kitten* :smile:

Oh, and studies show that strength training makes you look better naked (over just cardio). Just sayin'!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do strength train.

Ditto on the bad-*kitten* thing and because I don't want to lose muscle while losing weight.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I strength train to tone, increase my metabolism, and more obviously to break up the monotony of cardio-cardio-cardio! I enjoy it very much.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am going to follow this thread. I want to start strength training. but don't know where to begin. :sad:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    No. Lifting will make you bulky.
  • DuchessOfDark
    DuchessOfDark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look up calisthenics as a starter point using just your own body weight to strengthen... :-)
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am going to follow this thread. I want to start strength training. but don't know where to begin. :sad:

Hey Cheryl... try out this site: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/women.html

It has lots of circuits for women that you can follow. Should help you get into strength training!
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Seriously dude? :wink:

For you yes - you've got testosterone. For women - you gotta do some pretty extreme lifting and diet modifications to get that bulk.
  • MrTypical
    Options
    Bigger shoulders make your waist look smaller too!
  • MrTypical
    Options

Starting Strength book. Lots of men and women do it, all with great results. It's really a back to basics program that ignores all of the broscience out there.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Definitely!! i love weight training, i'd rather do that than cardio any day but i make myself do both. My trainer has just put me on another new 3 day rotating programme and i LOVE it :heart:
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options

Nicely played.
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options

Starting Strength book. Lots of men and women do it, all with great results. It's really a back to basics program that ignores all of the broscience out there.

yes - that book. start there. no tears.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes..........I do because I love it and because it completely changed my body, allow me to eat all the food and make me feel BAMF
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yes I do strength training. It makes you stronger, leaner and tones. I cant just do cardio, it gets boring.
  • stephcap
    stephcap Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Seriously dude? :wink:

For you yes - you've got testosterone. For women - you gotta do some pretty extreme lifting and diet modifications to get that bulk.

Exactly. I lift and I left heavy- barbells not dumbbells. I'm strong, toned and definitely not bulky!
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it :)
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    I do both.. ratio is about 60% cardio, 40% strength training
    Cardio to keep the heart in shape and burn lots of calories, Strength training to tone the body :)
    Me no want no bat wings !!! lolll
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    Yes I do and it burns more calories than even cardio alone. I do both and love it
    I don't just want to loose weight either. Why just loose weight and have flabby skin. I want to tone it as well
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    Yes, strength training, will get you stronger and toned up, it also helps burn some extra fat. and yeah a woman is not going to get bulky from lifting, **** it's hard enough for a me to get bulky from lifting, I had to eat more then 3000 calories a day to gain any weight haha, so unless you are eating big you are not going to get big