Is Heavy Lifting a good idea while still losing weight?

Options
Hi all, just wanted to get some thoughts regarding heavy lifting and weight loss. I've been losing weight steadily since last November; however, I have recently changed my weight training to include heavy weights, low reps to gain strength (was lifting lighter, more reps before but not going anywhere). I've definately increased strength; however, I feel like I'm plateauing on some excercises way sooner than I should (I'm doing Starting Strength). Anyway, I suspect some of it may relate to the fact that I'm still in a signficant calorie deficit (1720 calories plus eat back exercise cals). I've been trying to especially increase my protein intake; however, I'm not sure it's enough since I'm still trying to not go over my daily calorie goal. Is training for strength (heavy lifting) a waste of time while I'm still losing weight? I realize weight training is an important part, but I almost feel trying to put on muscle while losing weight is an uphill battle. Any thoughts?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    As Rip would say: YOU'RE NOT DOING THE PROGRAM!

but keep doing the exercise. you will stall eventually and have to add calories at some point.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    YES!

Don't think of it as gaining or building muscle. Think of it as retaining muscle. The more muscle you keep now, the fewer pounds you'll have to lose to reach your goal weight.

Everyone loses SOME muscle while losing weight. Strength training and proper nutrition helps you keep as much as possible.
  • MrTypical
    Options
    You're starting off in the right place... Starting Strength is the program to use to get strong as a new lifter. I recommend it to everyone. Having said that, SS is a program for people looking to get bigger and stronger, bigger being a part of that. It's hard, almost impossible, to pack on muscle and lose fat. It can be done, but you have to manage your meal intake and times like a scientist. The real advantage to lifitng heavy even in a caloric deficiet is you're training your Central Nervous System to work better, you're training your muscles to fire together better. Don't forget when you reach a platue for 3 straight workouts, reset and start again. I've reset twice now, and each time my 1rm went up 5-10%.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting while cuting will help preserve muscle mass. So yes keep on lifting heavy. You may/will find that you will need to up your calories to be able to continue to increase you weights. Take a look at the link and set yourself up for an activity level that matches what you are doing. Then you exercise cals will be built in and you will not need to be chasing after them. Make sure your protein levels are good - minimum of 1 gm per pound lean body mass. The link will help you find all of your important numbers.

If you weight is near your goal and you just have some flab your trying to remove then lifting heavy will be more effective in body recomp then any amount of cardio.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can't gain strength for a long time on a deficit, and Starting Strenght is a routine with very fast progression. You can either keep doing the routine with the understanding that you are going to be stalled out until you are ready to eat a surplus (what I did), or you can do something with slower progression. The routine linked below is an excellent one to do on a deficit (or surplus)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering the same thing. I've been following the exercise plan in Starting Strength too, but like you, I'm on a calorie deficit and have been stalling out on every exercise way earlier than I "should". And yeah, I know the whole YNDTP shtick. I figure once I get to my goal weight (i'm pretty close) i'll experiment with adding some calories and extra protein to my diet. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only person in this situation. I was wondering if it was due to my age (42), the fact that I'm totally new at lifting, or the fact that I've always been weak and injury-prone ... or maybe that i just wasn't trying hard enough (which I doubt). But maybe it really is diet.

Good luck.