College Student on Christmas Break

Options
My fiance and I are planning to go Biggest Loser style over Christmas break. We want to work out 6 hours a day to burn nearly 2,000 calories while eating 1,500 calories. Our break starts the 17th and we are off until the 11th. It is almost a month and we can use our college gym and pool I believe. We want the exercising to be challenging and fun. Does anyone have any ideas what we could do for that long of a time? Anyone game to do this too? Come one lets look good all through Christmas this year! Imagine how far ahead we will be for swim suit season. It is a little more than 3 weeks!!!! If you are off of school what will you do with your time anyway?? Think about it!!!

Replies

• MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Am I reading that right... 6 hours a day to burn 2,000 cals and only eat 1500cals?

Or am I just reaaaaalllly tired?

And... if you workout 6 hrs/day... that could add up to more than 2000 cals, depending on what you do....
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes you read it correctly. We are going to work out every muscle and make it a very balanced routine. If we take our time and focus we can burn the 2,000 calories. On Biggest Loser they work out anywhere from 6-10hours a day. My doctor said it would be okay to eat 1,500 calories and burn 2,000. Each lb of fat is worth 3,500 calories. I am not reaching to burn 3,500 a day but it would be nice. My goal is to drop 15lbs in 3 weeks and his goal is to drop 30lbs in 3 weeks. You should join us!!!
  • pawprint061
    Options
    You guys are going to be so sore.... I think that's crazy!

But good luck!
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    it will be worth it! I am not doing 15 hours of week in class plus all the homework so I might as well be doing something than just sitting around. If I keep myself busy I will feel better when next semester starts. Then I am planning to keep this routine up during the summer time too so by the time my next fall semester comes around I am almost at my goal weight!! You should try it too!!!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Good luck! I think as a 3-week plan, that sounds like a great idea. Long term, it might not be so healthy. Even on the Biggest Loser, they only do it for a few months. Maybe you guys could even meet with a personal trainer once or twice a week, and it shouldn't be as expensive if you can share the time. Then your trainer could give you more ideas for exercises to do for those long workouts.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Man, that's whacked... I mean, if your doctor approved it, that's cool. Seems like it's going to be very strenuous and I'm not sure I would want to take that route, if I were not at the maintenance stage. I think I would really want something that wouldn't discourage me... but, that's just how my mind works. I always feel, for me anyhow, that slow and steady wins the race.

Plus, I tend to overdo things... and that gets me in trouble. My joints are not as good as they used to be bc of the way I mistreated them in the past (little food/too much working out).

I wish you lots of luck-- sounds like you've got a lot of determination. :)
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    We kinda live out in the middle of no where so we are going to work into it the 1st week and the 2nd and 3rd week we plan to go full force. I would like to have a trainer but we are poor college kids lol.. We can use the college gym for free and our livingroom for other exercises. thanks though!!
  • pawprint061
    Options
    On the Biggest Loser they work with trainers and with doctors. They don't do it all by themselves. It's not just about the working out, it's also about the eating and the lifestyle change.

You should keep us updated though with your progress. Are you more focused on pounds or inches?
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    I am focused on the pounds but I do watch the inches as well. I take progress pictures you can go look at them so I can stay motivated when I do not see the pounds fall off. We will keep everything updated. We have started changes our diets and we plan for those week to really focus on changing the foods we eat. On the Biggest Loser they need the trainers and doctors because they are morbidly obese over 100lbs overweight I am around 50lbs overweight and so is my fiance. We are young enough and have been working at losing that we believe we can do this. We are not insane if we feel exhausted we will stop but its going to hurt but we are willing to work through the pain. Thanks for everyone responding!!!
  • meganmarie319
    meganmarie319 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I can't wait to see how you guys do! I think its a great idea-- make up all the time you spent on your butt studying ;) Make sure to get a full night's sleep too so you can take on every day full speed!!
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    Thanks! That is what we thought the last couple weeks have been in front of our computers and books! WE are so ready to be active! thanks for the encouragement!!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I am SO with you!! I am also in college and not taking a mini (whew!) This holiday break, I have nothing to do but try out new recipes, work out, and play with my baby nephew!

We can help keep each other motivated :-)

We are taking family photos this year, and I really need to drop some quick weight so I'm not the fat girl on everyone's mantle!
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    I feel the same way! I am sick of being the fat grandchild, or niece, or cousin, or sister, or daughter! I am going to do better and look my greatest!! Good Luck!! find someone to go with you at least part of the time! I know I need my fiance or I would only go for my normal work out! I will add you as a friend and we can keep each other motivated!
    I am SO with you!! I am also in college and not taking a mini (whew!) This holiday break, I have nothing to do but try out new recipes, work out, and play with my baby nephew!

We can help keep each other motivated :-)

We are taking family photos this year, and I really need to drop some quick weight so I'm not the fat girl on everyone's mantle!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I too have a huge break (almost a month) and definitely need something like this b/c otherwise I GAIN when I'm off. I always tell myself that I'll have SO much time to work out but I end up sitting around and snacking.

So.......while I may not aim for 6 hours a day I def want to be held accountable. My break starts Dec 12th.

Yeay!
  • bethany_jurries
    Options
    You can do it! Do not think in one month damn I should have worked out! Go back to school and be like yeah you all look at me! I am hot!!!! :)
    I too have a huge break (almost a month) and definitely need something like this b/c otherwise I GAIN when I'm off. I always tell myself that I'll have SO much time to work out but I end up sitting around and snacking.

So.......while I may not aim for 6 hours a day I def want to be held accountable. My break starts Dec 12th.

Yeay!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good luck to your on your three-week mission. I do think that if you work out for six hours a day, it's very possible that you burn way more than 2000 calories. I think you should both buy heart rate monitors, because if you're burning more than 2000 cals, you might want to eat a little more than 1500. You net consumption should never drop below 1200 cals (for a woman) or below 1500 cals for a man, because that's what your body needs daily just to keep your heart and blood pumping.
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I really think that you need to think this out a little more. You could end up over training, your body will go into survival mode, you will peak way too soon, or you could hurt yourselves by overdoing it. You're talking about burning 2,000 calories per day and only eating 1,500, but don't forget that if you are training properly, you will continue to burn a lot more throughout your day after your workout. After you workout, you need to feed your body and your muscles so that you can refuel and have energy. How are you going to have energy to workout for 6 hours a day when your only eating 1,500 calories. You also need to give your muscles the proper time to recover.

I know that you guys are inspired by the biggest loser, but I'm pleading with you not to do this. Take your time and do it right, the best things in life are worth waiting for. You will get there, it just takes time and patience.

I'm no expert, but I have been around a little while and I have done my workouts a million different ways and I'm telling that this is not a good idea and there will be more people that agree with me on this. Of course, this is just my opinion, I can't tell you what to do. So, if you're really going through with this, don't forget to stay hydrated, eat plenty of protein and, maybe most importantly, KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

Good luck
  • AmandaB4588
    Options

Yeay!

I am already on break (pretty much.) I have 2 finals--- one on the 11th and one on the 16th. I am NOT going to class any time other than to take those tests, so I will be getting a headstart. My brother is flying in the 17th and that's when we will REALLY get things going.

I certainly won't work out 6 hours a day just because I'll be doing family stuff, but I will devote a lot of my break to the gym and hope to reach new goals. Also, I am a new runner and REALLY want to make some gains with that.

Best of luck to you guys! Let's comment here to keep in touch!
  • prettythinarq
    Options
    I think this is a great idea! It will keep you busy and active and will have a huge effect on your initial weight loss and self-esteem and make it easier to continue with a healthy plan when you return to college as you will already have come so far and seen great results.

Word of warning - the first few days will be very, very tough. Try not to snap or fight with each other over silly things - that's what I did with my boyfriend when we tried to exercise together!

Otherwise I think they key to getting through this is variety. I personally would do different things every day - and as many as possible out of the gym. Break it up into 1 hour segments although some can be done for 2 hours such as dog-walking. I would consider the following - and remember that by playing a game, you bring the fun element into it and it does not feel so much like exercise. Ask friends and family for any equipment you need if you can't get free at your college gym.

Swimming - breast stroke is good for endurance, freestyle for calorie burning
    Tennis
    Squash or racket ball - huge amount of calories burnt
    Cycling - I also watch TV/DVD's on my exercise bike at home, an hour flies past!
    Hiking or power walking
    Dog-walking - borrow one!
    Yoga or pilates - great for flexibility and sore muscles - buy/borrow DVD or check youtube for free ones
    Skipping/jump rope
    Running/jogging - start slow or you may injure yourself

All of this stuff can usually be done wither free/cheaply and makes a change from slogging it out 6 hours a day in the gym where you may die of boredom. I am told that weights are good for burning fat but you would need to take some advice on that so you don't get injured. I always listen to music, read or watch something when I exercise to pass the time.

Good luck and have fun!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i wish i had the time to dedicate long workouts like this. i work full time and have a 4 month old, im lucky to get 40 minutes of cardio a day! i have got to join a gym that has day care to get weights in but cardio is dropping pounds for now til i can actually join

but man! hours a day is a lot. i wish ic ould!