I feel like crap today... :(

Options
Hi all,

Yesterday I started having the worst migraine ever, still there today... :( I've been cutting on caffeine (Pepsi Max) drastically, as it is the only thing I was drinking during the day for the last year (flame me now). I've been also exercising a lot, compared to the last fifteen years (ouch!) and having no more than 1200 net during the day. I'm heating healthy, I've suppressed all industrial bakery, crap and stuff and till yesterday, I was feeling great.

Two questions:

1. Is this normal and will the migraine plus feeling crap pass?

2. Should I exercise today despite feeling physically bad? My body says no, but in my head, I need my exercises now!

Thank you for listening/reading,

Andrea

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to work out, just go for a walk .. The increase blood flow will help with said head ache.. Up to you though....

Why don't you up your calories some... 1200 is the bare minimum and it doesn't have to be like that ..

Your head ache could just be that or a side effect of reduced calories and Caffeine consumption
  • staceface519
    Options
    I had the SAME problem and it was due to the withdrawl you get when you limit yourself caffine (hence why they consider caffine a drug). . . try drinking more water to pass it through your system faster ( it can linger) and thje extra water will make u feel better. . . do a little work out if u can. . a walk. . a job. . . up and down some stairs. . . but u will feel mroe tired after due to no caffine and the workout. . . it will get better, just dont give up on it!
  • Davidgettinghealthy
    Options
    Experiment with different flavors of hot tea sweetened with just a little bit of honey. Less caffeine and WAY less on the calories. Hope you feel better soon.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As a fellow migraine sufferer you have my sympathy.

Personally if you feel really rough I wouldn't push yourself on the exercise - maybe go for a walk, something gentle like that? I just couldn't do anything more than that with a migraine, makes me feel too rough.

Will it go? I'm sure it will, from what you've said it's probably caffeine withdrawal? Although does Pepsi max contain caffeine? I don't drink it much so I'm not sure.
    Also 1200 net is what I would consider an absolute minimum, maybe check your numbers and up your cals a bit, give yourself something to work on. I didn't believe it either - was on 1200 for a while but I stalled and tried upping the cals to 1300, and after a little adjustment period started to lose again, have just recently upped again - to 1500 waiting to see what will happen!

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself!
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answer... :)

I'll be heading to the other side of my town for some groceries, and because I don't have a driver's license, walking is the only option... lol It will probably do me some good... :)

I am very prone to migraines when the weather changes, and it's raining, windy and really cloudy here today, so that will be a factor too... :(

Regarding my calories, I underwent a gastric bypass almost three years ago, and I have to stick to them... I didn't and the result was 20kg heavier in two years... :O And the caffeine, it has to go!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Caffeine is a drug... and you are going through withdraws. Once your body gets used to not having any caffeine you'll be fine =)
  • Caz104
    Caz104 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As a fellow migraine sufferer I completely sympathize.

I cut out caffeine cold turkey three weeks ago. I had a headache for 4 days solid. But, I kept drinking water to help flush my system. Now the only non-alcoholic drink that passes my lips is water. I used to drink rum and diet coke when I went out with friends. Now, I don't go out as much but when I do I drink a light beer or wine. It takes some getting used to but I've seem some major changes since I cut out caffeine.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your headache is probably from caffeine withdrawal. There are ways to get your caffeine with less calories (i drink black coffee with Splenda sweetener) if that's what's causing it.
    BUT, if you're having classic migraine symptoms for the second day in a row, you should probably see a doctor.
    I do fine on 1200 calories, but you have to be sure you're getting all the needed nutrition, and drink TONS of water.
  • Andreake08
    Options
    There were more answers while I was typing! Thank you, guys and gals... :D

I'm definitely going for a walk to do my groceries, and I'll come home loaded, so that's a good workout for today... :)

I'm drinking 2L (8 cups) of water minimum since I started here, and I hope it can accelerate the process, because as caffeine addicts will know, this is no fun... :(

I didn't know caffeine was that bad... How about non-caffeine Diet Coke? *wonders*
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from frequent migraines. While every migraine (and every migraine-sufferer) is different, we've found that generally, a workout won't make the migraine worse and often helps. However, if it gets to the light/sound sensitivity point, it doesn't work anymore.

I agree that withdrawals could be causing the migraine. Caffeine is actually in many migraine medications, so a small amount might help (and maybe not go quite cold turkey - but that's going to be up to you). Also, if you get migraines very often, it could be worth it to find what the triggers are. For my husband, it seems to be too much refined sugar, but there are a lot of different common triggers. Keeping a food log is a good start; then you can note which days you have a migraine and see what patterns emerge (it's not always food, though). Also make sure to hydrate really well, dehydration can trigger or make any headache worse.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I am very prone to migraines when the weather changes, and it's raining, windy and really cloudy here today

Girl, you have my sympathies and my prayers, I have the same problem! It S-U-C-K-S to wake up with the same migraine you went to bed with! i think it may be the change in pressure when the storm fronts move in. I'd take your walk, but don't stress about anything else. A little exercise (and lots more water) generally helps me some, but rarely makes it go away entirely. Maybe if you can swing it, get a short nap in this afternoon in a cool, dark room with a cool cloth on your head - that sometimes helps me. Excedrin migraine?? Good luck!
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one diet cola or pepsi every day, so no judgement here! Maybe you should gradually cut down on it rather than going cold turkey. Or at least replace the cola with a cup of tea or coffee.
  • Andreake08
    Options
    I am very prone to migraines when the weather changes, and it's raining, windy and really cloudy here today

Excedrin migraine?? Good luck!

Time to refill my Excedrin cabinet! I ran out!! :P
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant to add that diet Coke and Pepsi are the only carbonated drinks which don't give me a migraine. I think the caffeine must cancel out the effect of the artificial sweetener. Lemonade, cherryade etc. are all banned for me.
  • Andreake08
    Options
    I drink at least one diet cola or pepsi every day, so no judgement here! Maybe you should gradually cut down on it rather than going cold turkey. Or at least replace the cola with a cup of tea or coffee.

Tea and coffee don't agree with my tummy... :'(:'(:'(
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    No need for flames! Good for you for trying to cut it out. I know it can be very hard and affects some people like it's affecting you. I would say drink lots of water & I am sure those headaches will fade as your body doesn't crave the caffeine anymore.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    There were more answers while I was typing! Thank you, guys and gals... :D

I'm definitely going for a walk to do my groceries, and I'll come home loaded, so that's a good workout for today... :)

I'm drinking 2L (8 cups) of water minimum since I started here, and I hope it can accelerate the process, because as caffeine addicts will know, this is no fun... :(

I didn't know caffeine was that bad... How about non-caffeine Diet Coke? *wonders*

Do you mean something like this:

20h991f.jpg

Edit: Oh, wait... That one is not diet though... Lol! I'll keep looking, haha!
  • Kyrosh
    Options
    Here you go:

15mzt6v.jpg

They sell them on Amazon apparently :happy: .
  • Andreake08
    Options
    And here in Belgium!! :D
  • Kyrosh
    Options
    And here in Belgium!! :D

There you go :happy:
    Good stuff I would say! Maybe it helps you to bring down the need for Coca Cola? Try a couple of these and slowly drink less of it?