hypothryoidism

Options
Sorry if I spelt it wrong, I just found out that I might have it and have to go in for all the scans. Does anyone have any info, experiance, with it? Will it help me lose weight??? I am going to be 32 this month and I have already had heart faliure when I had my son and my gall bladder out after that!! I am really falling apart!

Thanks!!

Heatther

Replies

• heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I spelt it wrong, I just found out that I might have it and have to go in for all the scans. Does anyone have any info, experiance, with it? Will it help me lose weight??? I am going to be 32 this month and I have already had heart faliure when I had my son and my gall bladder out after that!! I am really falling apart!

Thanks!!

Heatther
  • Lyndal
    Lyndal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

I was just diagnosed December and have been taking thyroid tablets every day since, up to now it seems to be under control but now I have to try and lose the excess weight I gained while not knowing I had this condition.
    I must admit i am struggling because I also broke my foot 3 weeks ago and can't exercise, but my doctor assures me that now its all under control and as long as I start to exercise (when cast is off!!) and follow a low fat low cal diet, the pounds should start to slip away. It is work in progress at the moment, but I do feel less tired, my hair is coming back to life, my energy is returning, all of these things I just put down to old age (I'm 46).
    Don't despair...............get it under control. it can take a while, I was lucky they got it under control quickly, but sensible healthy eating and no fad diets!!!! Got to try and keep the metabolic rate high.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    my counterpart in my office has hyperthyroidism. It depends on what type you have, my co-worker has Diffuse toxic goitre. And it causes his metabolism to go into overdrive. When his is acting up, or if he forgets his medication, his body generates waaay to much heat, he can feel hot in a freezer. It also plays havoc with his moods. And he is the most fidgety person in they world. Otherwise it doesn't seem to be a big issue, it took a while for them to find him the right dose and schedule for his medicine, but now he is fine. A side note for him is with his metabolism so high, he can eat just about anything. That's not the case for all hyperthyroidism sufferers, but for him it is.
  • heatther
    Options
    my metabolism is very slow! And I am freezing all the time! I have lost 11 lbs in Feb but it was a lot of work. I exercise 50 minutes a day and lowered my calories to 900. That is the only way i started to move. Thanks for all the thoughts and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Heatther
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you have access to the book "You: The Owner's manual" this is really well explained in there.

Good luck with your tests.:flowerforyou:
  • heatther
    Options
    Thank you I will have to check it out. Thanks everyone for you help and support!:flowerforyou:
  • november1982
    Options
    I have Hyperthyroidism and have had it since high school but didn't know it till I was 22 years old. I droped a bunch of weight and then they gave me my meds. I gained the 50 pounds back that I lost and gained more on top of that. But I have been in a wheelchair for three years and cound't excercise. I have been walking since Christmas. And I have lost 15 pounds. It is hard. Because I can do all the special things but I if my thyroid is off. It doesn't matter. I am hot all the time and my hair is thin. A plus to mine is I have Graves deases and that makes my skin feel like velvet. But you should ask if you just have hypo or if you have Hashimoto's as well. It is simalar to Graves. And make sure they check your Vitamin D levels. Just experiance. Let me know if you have questions. Also check out www.mayoclinic.com they have lots of info! :happy: