Dinner ideas!

Options
I need some new healthy and cheap dinner ideas for 2 people.

Replies

• pickletkd
    pickletkd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Summer Salad

Ingredients:
    1 cup red quinoa, uncooked (may substitute with different colors of quinoa)
    1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock 
    1 bell pepper, sliced thin
    3 stalks celery, sliced thin
    1 green onion, sliced thin
    1 large carrot, sliced thin
    3 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing (or whatever you prefer)
    Method:
    Rinse quinoa very well, place in medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15-20 min. All the water should be absorbed/evaporated. 
    Toss cooled quinoa, bell pepper, celery, onion, carrot, and dressing. Serve cold.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
    (For 1/6th of the recipe)
    Calories- 131
    Carbohydrates- 25g
    Sugar- 3g
    Fiber- 3g
    Fat- 2g
    Protein- 4g

Healthy egg and chips

500g potatoes , diced
    2 shallots , sliced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp dried crushed oregano or 1 tsp fresh leaves
    200g small mushrooms
    4 eggs

1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tip the potatoes and shallots into a large, non-stick roasting tin, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle over the oregano, then mix everything together well. Bake for 15 mins, add the mushrooms, then cook for a further 10 mins until the potatoes are browned and tender.
    2. Make four gaps in the vegetables and crack an egg into each space. Return to the oven for 3-4 mins or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.

Vegan Sloppy Joes
    Serves 4 to 6
    Time 60 minutes

What you need

1 cup uncooked lentils
    4 cups water
    1 tbls olive oil (I used olive oil non-stick spray)
    1 medium sized yellow onion, cut into small dice (I used a sweet onion)
    1 green pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbls chili powder (I used 1 but use more if you want more of a bite)
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp salt
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    2 oz of tomato paste
    2 tbls maple syrup
    1 tbls prepares yellow mustard
    4 to 6 buns of your choice

Pour the lentils and water into a med sauceoan. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 min before lentils are done, preheat a medium sized sauce pan over med heat. Sautee the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sautee for a minute more.

Stir in the cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano and salt. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup to taste and the mustard, and heat through.

Turn off the heat and let the pot sit for about 10 minutes, so the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediatly if you can't wait. Good served open faced, with a scoop of sloppy joe on each half of bun.